Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on adoption.

New Shared Parental Leave Rules

(8 Posts)
EatSleepRunRepeat Thu 30-Apr-15 10:52:39

Anyone taking advantage of the new SPL rules that came into effect form 5th April where you can share the 52 weeks leave between you and your partner?

If so, how have you found trying to arrange it?
My HR dept have been pretty good considering it's all still very new, my DW's HR are another story, didn't have a policy or forms in place to apply for it, she was actually told by one person in her HR dept that she couldn't share leave with me and was living in "Cloud Cuckoo Land" if she thought the rules allowed splitting the leave between partners.

Kewcumber Thu 30-Apr-15 11:35:51

You've gotta love someone so on the ball! The clues in the name "shared parental leave"

Can't be difficult for them to read the govt website surely!?

Kewcumber Thu 30-Apr-15 11:37:26

I would be inclined to work out what you're both taking, check its within the rules and just tell them. I suspect your DW's employer won't need to know anything much if she's taking adoption leave first, but it wasn;t around when I first adopted so I've not looked at detials.

MyPreciousRing Thu 30-Apr-15 17:11:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

auntybookworm Thu 30-Apr-15 18:13:20

We are not planning on sharing the leave, DH is taking the lot. However, I did find once I e mailed a link to the relevant gov website covering employment law I was able to get a better response. Pretty sure I got the link off here will see if I can dig it out.

EatSleepRunRepeat Fri 01-May-15 09:18:04

We've decided to split ours. DW's adoption pay isn't brilliant where as the company I work for offers up to 5 months full pay for adoption leave. She also works in education so will be off work for 7 weeks over the summer.
So after the first 2 weeks, I'm taking the first block of SPL covering the end of the school year and the summer holidays, then in September I'll go back to work and DW takes the remainder of the SPL.

Financially it's tons better for us, but more importantly is will give us that time together as a family over the summer to fully bond and get used to our new life.

SPL rules say we had to give 8 weeks notice to HR of our intention to take SPL which we did as soon as we were informed of our match. At that stage were expecting it to take about 10 weeks to get to introductions. My HR were great, all the forms were available and they had some experts to guide me through it, and a few days after submitting it got a letter back confirming my entitlement and their agreement to my plan for SPL. Result!

As I said in the original post, DW has had a much harder time of it. No policy or forms in place so we cobbled together the information we had to submit with a covering letter and sent that to them, pointing out it had been legislation since 5th April so they need to either accept the letter or get themselves sorted quickly.

Anyway, things moved on pretty quickly after that, and panel date was brought forward by over a month, to mid May, with intros starting a couple of weeks after. shock

The 10 weeks notice we had turned into 5. With it all being quite new we had no idea if we could change the SPL plan without giving 8 weeks notice. Turns out they do have flexibility to accept a shorter notice period within the SPL rules and as long as our managers were happy we could do it. All getting very very real!

Barbadosgirl Thu 07-May-15 22:36:05

We just had a very good training session on this today! I will def be doing this if we go again. I think that works well for people in my position (female breadwinner).

MyPreciousRing Sat 09-May-15 00:17:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now