How long to adopt?

(15 Posts)
amyjaney1984 Tue 20-May-14 21:40:32

Hi everyone. Just wondered how long the adoption process has been for different people, from first approaching agency to receiving child.. I know the adoption process really varies..

Lilka Tue 20-May-14 22:10:13

Don't think my experience means anything now, it was so long ago! But it took 15 months to be approved first time around - this was in 1994/5, and then a further year to bring DD1 home in August 1996. So from the very first call it was almost 2 years till I heard about DD and another 4 months while the linking process took place

It took a similar length of time to be approved second time around, that was 2002 to 2003. But it didn't take nearly as long to get matched, I heard about DD that same year a few months later, then it was also well over 3 months till intros started.

I think that's really a bit too long for approval - unless there were special circumstances and/or the family need to slow things up, I don't think it needs to take any more than say 9/10 months max (although the new guidelines are 6 months). But the finding your child stage, well it can't be helped how long that takes, but if you persevere, you will find one!! And the 3/4 months linking stage was right for us, the girls were older with emotional needs and needed more time to be prepared for adoption, and I needed time at the start to consider the match and meet people.

DS was a sibling placement so no full process, had a quicker shortened process they did for sibling placements so it was only a few months from when I said I definitely would like to adopt him to when I was starting intros

Have you noticed a change in approval speed with your youngest and this second time process? I'm interested to see how many people are getting through within the 6 month limit now.

CloserThanYesterday Tue 20-May-14 22:27:28

We started the process halfway through January and are hopefully going to panel the first week of July, so not too bad on the timescales for approval.

Who knows how long we'll wait for a match though ... I'll be watching with interest to see how it's been for other 'new process' adopters.

64x32x24 Tue 20-May-14 22:39:57

We sent of our 'registration of interest' mid November and were approved beginning of May, so pretty much exactly 6 months.
It did take us about 5 months from making a first call to 'registration of interest' though. Some of that was due to us taking our time with making up our minds, some of it due to having to wait for appointments and replies and such.
Not matched yet so can't say anything on that score.

odyssey2001 Tue 20-May-14 23:03:31

33 months from initial enquiry to adoption order (27 months to introductions).

Ours was just under 20 months from start to intros. But add on an extra 6 months because we had to wait 6 months because we had had fertility treatment.

Nonnimouse Wed 21-May-14 08:01:05

First time around, which was 5 years ago, it took us 12 months from start to approval, and another 9 months to find DS, then 3 months from link to moving in. Two years total. This time with the new system it will have taken a year to approval again, but we had about 5 months break between stage 1 and stage 2.

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 21-May-14 08:17:22

We phoned social services to make an application to be approved in March 2005 and DS came home in Sept 2006 - so 18 moths for us.

Time table was as follows:

March 2005 contact Social Services
May - initial meeting
July and August - preparation workshops
December - allocated a Social Worker
February 2006 - commenced home study/form f
May - approval panel
June - matched with DS
August - matching panel approval
Sept - introductions and placement.

January 2007 - adoption finalised in court.

With DD it was quicker. 12 months from application to placement,because we were exempt from prep workshops as second time adopters.

UnderTheNameOfSanders Wed 21-May-14 09:09:21

Our was a long time ago now too, placed in 2007.

15 months from initial contact to approval
15 months from approval to hearing about our girls
15 months from moving in to court.

We could have been placed a lot faster as we turned down a link one month before approval panel, and we had 3 other near misses along the way too.

Worth the wait though. smile

mrsballack Wed 21-May-14 13:36:21

From first contact (initial enquiry phone call) to start of intros was 11 months for us. Our panel was delayed by a month waiting for some paperwork though which obviously moved it all back a month. We were provisionally linked before we were approved though so that sped things up although Christmas and new year slowed it down a bit.

MyFeetAreCold Wed 21-May-14 14:48:18

22 months from initial contact to placement. Nearly a year of that was waiting for a place on prep course with LA.

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Wed 21-May-14 15:05:24

Ours was a couple of years ago, but 9 months from registration of interest to approval, then a further 6 months to matching panel and introductions.

kmarie100 Wed 21-May-14 15:16:17

6 months from initial application to approval panel. We were already unofficialy matched before approval and matching panel was held 2 weeks after approval. Intros were delayeded until after xmas period so a couple of weeks after matching panel.

Whatutalkinboutwillis Wed 21-May-14 16:44:01

First phone call to ss may 2012, approved sep 2013, ds home nov 1st 2013 - we had a long wait for a prep course which held things up at the start.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 24-May-14 20:21:14

Just around a year:

Enquiry July
Initial home visit Aug
Prep group Sept
Approval July
Matching Aug

This was a couple of years ago now. We took longer over approval because we wanted to make sure adoption was right for us (we have a birth son too), then matching moved exceptionally fast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now