Can you adopt if had depression?

(9 Posts)
amyjaney1984 Tue 20-May-14 19:47:13

Hi,
My husband and I have two biological children but have always wanted to adopt. I'm concerned we won't be allowed to as I take a low-dosage anti-depressant and have done for 7years. I have never felt suicidal or severely depressed or anything like that. I just take them more for anxiety. Would this exclude us from adoption?

I really don’t think this would exclude you from adoption. I suffered from anxiety about 15 years ago and had CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) for it. I am now fine and talked to social workers about it when we went through the process of adoption in the last 18 months.

I think it is important to be open about all this but it does not need to be an issues.

I suggest you think about how you manage your anxiety, how it affected you in the past, how it affects you now and maybe find some positives from it.

For example, I think my anxiety in the past has meant that now I am more sympathetic to others who suffer with anxiety and I always want to seek to help others with it, hence mentioning it here! I know many children who come through the looked after care system may well feel anxious at times and have fears, controlling issues etc so I would say that this understanding I have for anxiety can be a positive. So for you, can you show that you have it under control? How would the placement of a new child with you will affect/not affect you, can you feel reasonably sure it will not negatively affect you and trigger anxiety. For example how have you dealt with changes in the past. If changes have triggered your anxiety how will you manage that, if triggers have not affected it, great. etc etc.

Good luck.

Devora Tue 20-May-14 21:20:58

Both me and do had quite significant histories of depression. Mine was combined with an eating disorder that required several years of medication and psychiatric treatment, though that was quite a long way in the past. Do had had more recent problems and was still medicated at the time of adoption.

They did ask for a statement from dps shrink, which fortunately was positive. They grilled us on this at panel, and apparently we impressed with our self knowledge and resourcefulness.

I think it is very common to have a history of anxiety or depression. The key is to demonstrate how you have learned from it and your ability to quickly assemble the resources and help you need when necessary.

Lilka Tue 20-May-14 21:43:22

Hi and welcome smile

It won't exclude you, and in fact it's very common for prospective adopters to have or have had anxiety and/or depression, and some people like our Devora have a more significant psychiatric history. There have definitely been other people here who were taking medication when they were approved

As with any health condition, as the others have said, the key is being willing to talk about it, and explain how it affects your life and how you manage it. Actually taking the medication shows that you are able to seek outside help when you are having issues, accept that help and manage your own health, which is a very positive thing smile

Uni4life Mon 26-May-14 04:11:04

Could I ask which adoption agencies people have used. Whether local authority or other independent/charity?

Devora Thu 29-May-14 22:02:39

Local authority, in London (I'll tell you which one if that's useful!)

Uni4life Fri 30-May-14 07:54:02

Yes please tell me which one. I'm London based.

Hels20 Fri 30-May-14 09:01:41

I have had bouts of depression - saw a therapist 3 different times in my life - the last time 3 years before we adopted (it was linked to a major event in my life and I think also to do with infertility).

I am London based and went with a VA. PM me if you want the name.

Devora Fri 30-May-14 11:00:17

Ealing - they were excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now