fabbytastic book for fellow newbies

(6 Posts)
Mersea Tue 20-May-14 22:56:19

Hi me and my partner are also looking to start the adoption process. We are considering siblings but would also like to find out more about fostering to adopt.
We had been ttc for about 5 years and after 2 miscarriages and fertility drugs we looked into IVF. However we would have to pay for treatment and we were only given a 10-15% chance of it working so we decided it was not for us.
I am 42 and my partner is 35 and finally it is nice to be looking at another option. We would like a child/children under the age of 3 if possible so we can experience the younger stages.
It will be good to have some support from this forum and I will have a look at getting the book. I have also heard of a book called an adoption diary but I have not seen any reviews.

Catlover2014 Thu 15-May-14 20:19:27

That's really good to hear!! I hope we continue to feel positive about it. Have just ordered that book you recommend!

We are probably looking to foster to adopt so I guess it will just be one child. I know it's very hard to get it but we really want to be able to care for a child from baby stage.

I see you're looking for a sibbling group. Assume you mean two children? Do you mind me asking how you got to adoption stage? Have you had fertility treatment? How old are you and DH?

I'm 34 and so is DH. We've been ttc for four years and after fertility drugs I've managed to conceive but had two miscarriages this year so we feel it's time to start looking into adoption. Scary process though!

X

chocolatelover1 Wed 14-May-14 18:30:03

Lovely to hear from you,yes I can honestly say that everyone we have met both at the open evening to find out about adoption and our social worker are so lovely. I too had an impression that the social workers may be very serious and hard to talk to but she is really easy to chat to-kind of like chatting to a friend.
Are you hoping for one child or more?
Best of luck x

chocolatelover1 Wed 14-May-14 18:29:28

Lovely to hear from you,yes I can honestly say that everyone we have met both at the open evening to find out about adoption and our social worker are so lovely. I too had an impression that the social workers may be very serious and hard to talk to but she is really easy to chat to-kind of like chatting to a friend.
Are you hoping for one child or more?
Best of luck x

Catlover2014 Wed 14-May-14 17:53:17

Thanks for posting. I will order that book! I'm only just starting the research process and am desperate to find out more about the process. After years of 'googling' about fertility treatment it feels exciting to be looking at something new and all together more positive.

I know you're at the start of the process but how have you found it so far? Is your SW nice?

We went to an adoption open evening last night and I couldn't believe how lovely they were. I don't know what I'd expected but I was so pleased they were human after all!

X

PS: sorry but I don't know anything about FAS but will be researching this too.

chocolatelover1 Tue 13-May-14 22:54:59

Hello everyone

just beginning our adoption process, hopefully to adopt a sibling group.

Have been busy doing lots of research and reading and just finished an excellent book by Emily Moore called Forever Family: our amazing adoption journey. A really informative book written by an adoptive mum that explains about every aspect of the adoption process and beyond to when their children come to live with them and how this went and gives answers to many of the things that we were wondering about. Our social worker lent us this copy.

Was just wondering if I could ask if anyone knew of any books that are written by someone who has adopted a child with FAS. I know that there are lots of books and literature about FAS but thought it might be useful to read one that is written by a parent who witnesses what its like on a daily basis to parent a child with Foetal Alcohol Syndrome?
Thanks peeps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now