Moving house

(9 Posts)
MyPreciousRing Sun 27-Apr-14 23:24:18

Hi there,
We are at the initial stages, info evening tomorrow night.
My husband is very keen to move - new build off plan, would only move in December.
Unfortunately I think I already know the answer to this question.. Do we need to delay our application until January 2015?

64x32x24 Sun 27-Apr-14 23:44:58

mmh I'd say it depends! Some agencies will make you wait, others, provided you will have moved before your panel date, will be happy to start assessing you now. You most definitely won't have a child placed with you before moving, given that you haven't started stage 1 yet, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It is also possible to complete stage 1, then wait up to 6 months before starting stage 2, so you could do stage 1, then focus on moving, then do stage 2.

Some agencies will say they need you to be unstressed (by being in the process of moving) during assessment, but I doubt all agencies will agree on that.

If you are moving far away, things would be different, but it sounds like you'd be moving to somewhere nearby, so you'd still be settled and could still benefit of your current local support networks.

MyPreciousRing Sun 27-Apr-14 23:52:08

Moving to be within half a mile of sister and two and half miles of retired parents.
Will benefit from three more bedrooms than now.
I've waited so so long already - found out I was infertile before I even turned 16.
I just don't want to wait a minute longer than I have to!
That's a great idea about completing stage 1 and then taking a break; at least I would feel as if progress was being made.
Thanks, that's really useful advice

lovehopejoy Mon 28-Apr-14 08:26:40

Just wanted to say good luck with everything previous ring. We've just started stage 1, and are about to have a small extension built and re-furb the kitchen. No where near as major as moving house but it was a consideration for us and the SW did ask us about disruption/ how long would it take etc. As it is we have started and everything should be complete within about a month of stage 2 starting. I know everything will be fine but I can already feel myself getting a bit stressed in terms of thinking about to many things all at the same time! So maybe starting stage 1 and then delaying a little would be a good plan?? Whatever you do, enjoy and all the best with everything. X

Maggslee Mon 28-Apr-14 20:47:40

Just wanted to add, if you do have to wait, try not to get downhearted - lots of adopters have delays (redundancy, family getting sick, losing weight etc) and it feels hugely frustrating at the time but most people who really want to get there in the end and once you're little one arrives the delays and obstacles will all be forgotten. Good luck - hope the info evening went well.

MrsBW Mon 28-Apr-14 20:57:24

Different agencies will have different rules.

One agency wouldn't do an initial visit with us until we were in our family home.

The agency we ended up being approved with we're happy for us to move half way through home study... Which is what we did.

MrsBW Mon 28-Apr-14 20:58:53

However, we took a lot longer than 6 months to be approved.... You certainly would need/want to move before approval, so bear that in mind with the new process timescales...

TrinnyandSatsuma Mon 28-Apr-14 21:04:17

We moved house between approval panel and matching panel, so I think as others have said, depends on the view of your local authority/social worker. Our rationale was to move to a more suitable family home and the desire to move before our son arrived, therefore avoiding the need to move after he arrived and unsettle him.

MyPreciousRing Mon 28-Apr-14 22:07:54

Hello everybody!
Thanks for all your replies.
I think likely plan of attack is to have initial visit, complete stage one; move and then begin stage two I'm Jamuary.

Need to get all timescales and what needs to be done when sorted.

Will need to move first if want a sibling group

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now