Play therapy

(10 Posts)
Littleturkish Sat 22-Feb-14 00:44:30

Crusoe, try the national play therapy website for a list of accredited therapists. If you're down south PM me and I'll see if my sis knows one near you.

Crusoe Fri 21-Feb-14 22:18:18

Thanks all.
LA might fund but the waiting list is huge and we are not a priority hence the self funding, we just don't want to wait any longer. School see lots of issues but deem Ds as challenging but manageable so will not help with any therapies and have other plans for pupil premium.
Think I will have to go with my gut and give it a go.
Thanks for your insights.

excitedmamma Fri 21-Feb-14 21:35:12

Haven't done it, but had a 'taster' of it with our agency... I love the sound of it and can really see the 'logic' behind it..

Our agency initially send a SW around to 'observe' you & the child - they set you some 'tasks/games' to play and make observations which are shared with you in a report later...

The games/tasks are all age appropriate and are suitable for all ages..

I have been invited on the course but can't make the dates, but will attempt at a later date.

Can you not have the placing LA fund this.. I think our agency runs courses on behalf of LA's...

Jakadaal Fri 21-Feb-14 20:20:13

Dd (11) currently in play therapy - ongoing for about 12 months and likely to last another 12 months via local Camhs for attachment issues, control issues and poor peer relationships. Hard to note what is improvement from therapy and normal emotional development but we are in a much better place as a family and DD much more calm and with more insight into her behaviour.

I see the same therapist once a month to try and unravel some of issues around adoption, nature v nurture etc and that us also really helpful

GiveTwoSheets Fri 21-Feb-14 20:14:32

Yes I done it, took part in a trail course that was been run to help people write a book about the course and to help them promote the course in other centres.

It was very educational as in takes you back to basics of using everyday things to involve play (no need for expensive toys) also about communication, how to deal with tantrums etc. We done it in small group of adults first couple of sessions then brought our kids in later date to the sessions.

I'm not one who buys into all this super nanny crap and wishy washy stuff and was happy and surprised its nothing like that.

I would defiantly recommend it.

Littleturkish Fri 21-Feb-14 20:09:13

*fund, not find

Littleturkish Fri 21-Feb-14 20:08:57

My sister works as a play therapist and is attached to an SEN school but does work in the nearby mainstream primary too. Could you see if the school would find it? They may be able to get a play therapist in to support, especially given that your child should be in receipt of the pupil premium?

I hope that helps.

flightywoman Fri 21-Feb-14 20:04:56

We had Theraplay with a bit of Dan Hughes added in and some non-directed unstructured play. The Girl was about 5 when we began and it went on till she was getting on for 6. It was really valuable, and for us was particularly focused on attachment and bonding.

However, I know of another child for whom it just didn't gel at all, they really couldn't engage with it.

It's hard to know whether to advise yes or no since it is such a subjective thing. Is there any any chance your VA or LA would fund it for you? Or perhaps fund (wholly or partly) the first 2 or 3 sessions if you agree to continue to pay if it's having a positive effect?

roadwalker Fri 21-Feb-14 19:53:02

what kind of play therapy is it non-directive or theraplay?
My DD had filial therapy and non-directive playtherapy
Are you using an agency or a stand alone therapist?
Sorry, lots of questions

Crusoe Fri 21-Feb-14 17:19:44

Hi
Play therapy - anyone done it? Anyone seen any positives as a result.
We are self funding and I don't want to throw money down the drain.
My ds is 6 and has issues around anxiety, control, defiance and relating to his peers.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now