sucking

(9 Posts)
roadwalker Thu 13-Feb-14 18:20:53

Does anyone elses child get comfort from sucking
My DD still has a dummy at home and gets a great deal of comfort from it
I would like to find her something socially acceptable to suck at school

There are lots of chew toys around and she has had chewelry (that was in the hope she would bite that instead of her class mates and it did work)
The chew toys are the wrong shape though
I did an on-line search for a sensory suck toy and it took me to places I would rather not go!

Kewcumber Thu 13-Feb-14 19:35:45

DS is a sucker - but it seems to be predominantly his coat! Which I have to say seems to be perfectly acceptable to his friends - not much help n class though.

My friend's kid has a thing like a raspberry lace that he sucks on or maybe chews, my DD was jealous she thought it was a real sweet! he is on the autistic spectrum so take a look at the UK and USA websites for this maybe.

is this the kind of thing you already looked at?

Chewable jewellery
www.nationalautismresources.com/chewable-jewelry.html

Other stuff
www.amazon.co.uk/Chewy-Skool-Chewable-Necklace-Green/dp/B00CIX8RTI/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1392319989&sr=8-16&keywords=autism+chew

www.amazon.co.uk/Chewbuddy-2-CBT01RED-Super-Red/dp/B00FDQNTQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392319989&sr=8-4&keywords=autism+chew

www.amazon.co.uk/Chewbuddy-CBD01-1-Blue/dp/B00FB9VSAG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392319989&sr=8-3&keywords=autism+chew

Just trying stop my DD thumb sucking at moment so will watch with interest. I think our girls are about the same age (?)

drinkyourmilk Thu 13-Feb-14 19:40:00

What about a drumstick shaped pen or pencil?

prumarth Fri 14-Feb-14 18:02:06

Hi road, sorry I can't help with your question but I wanted to say thanks for the giggle - just picturing what may have bounced up on your Google search and hoping you weren't in a public place when you looked! Best of luck!

crazeekitty Sun 16-Feb-14 22:27:52

I got a laugh from that, too.

But wow... If I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't have known sucking stuff was such a common thing. Why though? Does anyone know? (makes mental note to ask therapist).

I'm feeling awful now. Dd made a Herculean effort not to suck anything today after I lost the plot just a little in a restaurant yesterday. I find it totally gross and the two second rule just doesn't apply to clothes, filthy hands, hair. Have I stopped her fulfilling some sort of need by telling her it has to stop?

Sorry, op, don't want to hijack your post but what's going on with the sucking?

OneOfOurLilkasIsMissing Sun 16-Feb-14 23:35:06

Another one who got a giggle out of that, I'm sorry grin

DD2 used to suck and also chew on things. She still loves chewing now, but stopped sucking (mostly her thumb) a couple of years ago. I always thought it was a self soothing mechanism, and the constant sensation of chewing/sucking was comforting in some way or helped her to regulate herself? But I'm not sure, just guessing. So I tried to give her things, like lollipops, she could suck on. But obviously you can't have lollipops in class, I'll have a look and see if I can find anything roadwalker

Nowadays she chews gum all the time, which is so much better than when she used to chew her toys. I would pick up Barbies off the floor and they would have bite marks all over and their heads all squashed out of shape!

OneOfOurLilkasIsMissing can you say how you got your child to stop thumb sucking, please?

I agree the thumb sucking is a sensory thing (I think for DD) and goes with finding certain clothes, e.g. sock seams, hard to bear!

OneOfOurLilkasIsMissing Mon 17-Feb-14 00:40:53

I didn't actually do anything Italian, she just slowly stopped on her own. I mean, she still loves lollis etc, but she just gradually stopped sucking her thumb as much until one day I realised it had been weeks and weeks since I'd seen her doing it, and she's barely done it since then at all. Maybe it was her age, but I don't know. And in the last year, the Risperidone means she's less anxious so she angages in her self soothing behaviours less often

I wish I had a secret to make it all stop, but I'm afraid I can't claim any responsiblity at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now