Worst adoption advert ever?

(9 Posts)
Maiyakat Sat 21-Dec-13 20:05:20

Heard the following advert on local radio today. Had to keep listening to hear it again to make sure I hadn't imagined it!

The following is paraphrased as I can't remember it word for word (imagine typical snow leopard appeal music in the background):

'At Christmas do you get that sinking feeling that you'll never get the present that you want? That it won't go right this time because it never has up to now? You share that feeling with everyone who wants a child, and every child that needs a home. Please, adopt a child with (name of LA). Text GIFT to xxxxx'.

confused

Lilka Sat 21-Dec-13 20:57:21

It's right up there on the worst list, to be sure

Yuck yuck yuck

Text gift is the worst of it. Yeah because children in care are objects, and you can get one all cutely wrapped up in pretty paper for your christmas present. I'll order one with blonde hair and blue eyes please (head--->wall)

Imagine a dog charity ran that about rescuing a dog. They'd be swamped with complaints about pets being for life, not for christmas and how-dare-they-imply-pets-are-presents-rather-than-sentient-creatures. And yet it's okay to run an ad painting children in the same light, as a cute gift for christmas??

Also, I find the whole "children waiting for adoption only want a family for christmas" thing ridiculous, it's one of those so-sweet-it's-sickly sentences...I can't think of the right word

a) Nope, babies and toddlers waiting for adoption don't know what it is and therefore don't want it

b) Most kids do not want to be ripped away from their loving foster parents in time for christmas - little ones don't even know they have foster parents, it's just mummy/daddy/a combination thereof. What I want for christmas is to be taken from my parents... hmm

c) Even for older kids who DO want to be adopted, it's really not as simple as that

d) It makes the kids seem different and like orphan Annie rather than, you know, real children. Cause I'm pretty certain my DD's christmas lists, the christmas before I adopted them, did not consist of 'new mum' and nothing else. In fact, I'm pretty sure they wanted games, dolls, bikes, footballs and junk food for christmas

It's like those stupid posts on facebook which say "I suppose you want iPods, computers and a new car for christmas? Well, people with cancer only want one thing for christmas - a cure. Stop being a selfish little whatsit and share this post, cause that will really make a difference" hmm

I remember seeing of those, and a guy had replied "my friend Wayne has cancer and he wants an iPad for christmas"

So if I see an LA posting one of those 'all the little children want for christmas is a new family' I'm going to take a leaf out of that guys book and reply "actually, my children are adopted, and they never asked for a new family for christmas, they asked for lots of toys, like most children do. Also, when you adopt a child, they aren't all grateful and 'you've made all my dreams come true' like these adverts imply, actually they'll tantrum and next christmas give you a list of presents a mile long costing an exorbitant amount of money and expect you to buy it all for them

Sigh

Lilka Sat 21-Dec-13 21:00:22

Well that was a rant and a half

But I hate these advert styles so much

What about

"Would you like a cute and grateful child from the care system for christmas, who will tell you how happy they are that you made all their dreams come true?
Well then, fuck off and fall asleep! Because only dream children actually do that"

Is that a good advert? wink grin

Maiyakat Sat 21-Dec-13 21:08:32

It was the 'being a child in care is like not getting the Christmas present you want' bit that got me. Seriously?!?!

Also very confusing that in the same run of adverts you also text GIFT to donate to the Salvation Army!

Lilka you should apply to be a recruitment officer for an adoption agency, I'll be a referee for you wink

lovesmileandlaugh Sat 21-Dec-13 21:11:11

Yes, I heard that advert and felt really angry too! I'm a foster Carer, and my gorgeous lovely little FC is not a toy to be given at Christmas. She needs loving parents who can accept her for who she is and her life experiences, not someone who wants to fit her into how they think she should be! (Ranting too!)

Kewcumber Sun 22-Dec-13 10:17:38

shock

Seriously?!

What pilchard thinks that advert was a good idea? I know they're trying to reach people who perhaps wouldn;t normally consider adoption but still...

...even the rspca advise against getting pets for Christmas, but children are OK?

namechangesforthehardstuff Sun 22-Dec-13 23:48:19

'bathetic' I believe may be a useful word here grin

Kewcumber Mon 23-Dec-13 00:35:38

I still think "pilchard" may be a more useful word.

namechangesforthehardstuff Mon 23-Dec-13 19:30:12

grin

'Mawkish'? Is that working for you Lilka?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now