Adoption books for my parents

(6 Posts)
tea4two4three Sat 07-Dec-13 23:47:38

I'd recommend No matter What, the first few chapters are about the what led them to adoption and that includes infertility. The actual stages of the adoption process are covered in only a chapter or two and not in massive detail, but enough. The rest is an honest insight into becoming a parent to adopted children. It's very emotional, but nicely written and very easy to read. I liked it as it was nice to be able to relate to a lot of the feelings, my husband is currently reading it and has admitted to having a little cry once or twice as he recognises these emotions as well. My mum liked it as it gave her a greater insight as to what we are going through, not just processes but emotionally too.

MyFeetAreCold Sat 07-Dec-13 23:32:21

We gave 'related by adoption' to all our family when we were finally at a stage where it needed to seem real to them. Be aware though that there's all kind of stuff in it that's probably not going to apply. For example, it mentions that they might be asked to (or could help by) meeting the child's birth grandparents.

But it did provide a useful backdrop to start talking to them all about it. I think we also gave it when we were waiting for matching panel so we were able to relate it back to our DCs and as much of their background as we were happy to share.

MrsM2509 Sat 07-Dec-13 12:55:18

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that

Choccyjules Sat 07-Dec-13 11:01:26

Yes, that's the one we've been recommended and it's recently been updated too.

we bought "related by adoption" it's a thin little book by baaf. I think a lot is about older children etc butt my mom read it from cover to cover in a few days and keeps saying "in our book it said. ..." so I think ot was a success!

MrsM2509 Sat 07-Dec-13 10:06:20

I just wondered if anyone has any recommendations of books from an adopters point of view or of their family? I'd like some to read myself however i also want to buy a few for my mum and mother in law, so they also get insight into the adoption process as at the moment they only know what we tell them and we are very early stages. We just want them to feel included in a way. I have had a look at no matter what by sally Donovan on Amazon and just wondered is this book more on infertility or more on adoption?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now