books/information for cousins

(2 Posts)

we were talking to our nieces today about us adopting.
They've known about it for a while and are so excited and keep asking us questions.
We are explaining things but they can't quite get why children are put up for adoption.
They are 7 and 11 so quite old. We are always very honest with them.
I just wondered if their are any books or simplified ways of explaining things to them.

Hels20 Mon 11-Nov-13 05:50:22

I am not sure of adult books - my nieces are younger so I bought some of the BAAF recommended books,and also from the US "Rosie gets a new home".

I have however urged my friends to watch "The truth about adoption" - a Panorama film a couple of years ago which I picked up on YouTube. It might be suitable for the 11 year old - not the 7 year old. It follows 6 children in care - who need to be adopted. 4 of the children from 2 separate families are taken into care because mother has learning difficulties, had her children sleeping in a car, had an abusive boyfriend. But if you haven't seen it, watch it first as you might not think it is suitable for 11 year old.

For the 7 year old, try the Nutmeg BAAF book which is more detailed than some of the adoption books and goes into reasons why children might be adopted - not the best story but the best attempt I have found at explaining adoption reasons to older children (this will be too young for the 11 year old)

Sorry I am not of much help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now