medical form - recreational drugs

(56 Posts)
unusednickname Fri 18-Oct-13 18:53:15

I spent most of my teenage years off my face. Mostly hash, acid, ecstacy and coke blush

I haven't touched anything for about 20 years. I've had a responsible career working with people in a senior management position, I'm a mum etc etc. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't even go out...

I just can't help thinking that the word 'cocaine' on a form is going to scupper my chances. Is it?

Xcountry Fri 20-Jun-14 00:11:19

unless you were ever cautioned, charged etc with a drugs offence I wouldn't bother.

imip Fri 20-Jun-14 05:34:02

Yeah, perhaps! But it did seem a bigger sin to admit using illegal 'harder' illegal drugs to the security service !

Kewcumber Fri 20-Jun-14 09:28:55

Odyssey - I don't think it shows that honesty is the best policy. I think it worked in this case.

You don't need to be "saddened" about people not mentioning something that they did 20 years ago before they had children and don't have a problem with now. There were issues I didn't mention. I didn't think they were relevant to raising my child now and I would have considered it a massive invasion of my privacy to be expected to share it with social workers who have no special training or insight in that area.

I expect people to be honest about current and recent issues or older issues which might affect your approach to raising children. Decades old issues I think are fair game to chose to leave in the past.

odyssey2001 Fri 20-Jun-14 09:58:23

However, every event and decision in your life has brought you to this point. Both the good ones and the bad ones. We were not talking about the odd spliff once or twice, it was a lifestyle the op chose and then changed. This shows a lot about their personality. I guess it depends on how you view the assessment process - is it because they want to catch you out and fail you or because they want to guide you towards being the best adoptive parent you can be? My opinion is that it was the latter.

I feel I can be saddened about the advice. It is my opinion and still don't think lying to the social worker about something so big is the best approach. If an applicant is prepared to lie about that, what else will they lie about? Undiscovered domestic or child abuse? A belief that discipline begins and ends with smacking? Current drug or alcohol abuse? A lie is a lie.

Kewcumber Fri 20-Jun-14 10:52:47

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this Odyssey. Every thing I've done has indeed led me to where I am now and I didn't discuss every thing I've done over the past 49 years. Some of it major life events or things which have an impact on the person I am now.

I am quite capable of distinguishing those things which might have an impact on a child I adopt today and those which won;t and I think you'll find no-one was suggesting OP lies about domestic or child abuse but didn't make a point of raising something so far in the past which has no current relevance.

I'm not sure "a lie is a lie" is very helpful in this situation - its naive to suggest all lies are created equal when I would say that failing to mention something that you are confident is completely irrelevant is a very different kettle of fish to making concerted attempts to hide something like child abuse. Its also naive to assume that all social workers are created equal!

Obviously you don't agree and told 100% truth about everything that ever happened in your life at your home study. Mine would have been a great deal longer if I'd shared every detail of everything I'd ever done. Particularly with a social worker who latched into some of the most peculiar aspects of my childhood and wanted to investigate and discuss them in detail when they really couldn't have been less an issue or less relevant. I very quickly came to the conclusion that I was a better judge than the SW of what I would find to be an issue than her. I was right. The "issues" she raised haven't even been thought about (even fleetingly) in the 10 years since my home study whereas the issues I perceived to be problematic have been present in our lives intermittently since.

I suppose it whether you take a pragmatic approach to a home study or the philosophical.

odyssey2001 Fri 20-Jun-14 11:31:56

What I found most interesting is that there were some things that I (and my partner) brought up in passing that we thought were irrelevant (but mentioned anyway) that became far more important further down the line.

We are a woven tapestry and although some threads are more important than others, they are all relevant. We went in with the attitude although we knew ourselves, we weren't the right people to judge the type of parents we may turn out to be.

As I said, tiny threads became very important later on, especially when it came to matching. I think it is at the child-finding stage that these threads become relevant as it stops being about whether you are fit to parent a hypothetical child but whether you are the right parents for that specific, potential match.

I agree that all lies are the are not entirely the same and I was probably being too flippant. However, there is a difference between omitting a minor detail and intentionally leaving out an entire section of one's life and then lying about it on an official form (such as the medical).

Life would be very boring if we all agreed about everything! Mumsnet wouldn't exist if we all saw eye to eye and then where would we be! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now