Encouraging the school to up its game for our children - any tips?

(33 Posts)
Devora Sat 05-Oct-13 22:51:00

I've been talking to another adoptive parent at my children's school, and agreeing that our (generally fantastic) school isn't clued up on the needs of adopted children. We've both had to kind of push the information on them, meeting a rather quizzical response as though they don't get that it's an issue at all. This is beginning to create problems, and we thought that maybe we should invite the other adoptive parents at the school to meet up and discuss our experiences and perhaps make a collective approach to the school to suggest (politely and constructively) that we could improve the parent-school partnership in this area.

Has anyone tried this? Did it help? Any advice?

Devora Mon 07-Oct-13 21:12:42

Ooh hello laxative one, lovely to see you back smile

Kewcumber Mon 07-Oct-13 22:33:03

I'd have recognised you from the ineptness strike out fail

RihannasMiddleFinger Mon 07-Oct-13 23:33:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewcumber Tue 08-Oct-13 10:15:45

Rihanna - just grit your teeth, take the money and run.... (metaphorically speaking)

Namechangesforthehardstuff Tue 08-Oct-13 22:15:03

Is that right 'still in the care of LA.'? I thought it was going to operate like the rules on applying for a school place. I was really glad about it too because I thought it acknowledged that children might still have additional needs even years down the line. Shame if that's not the case 'cos it sort of is for the FSM part of the premium...

tethersend Tue 08-Oct-13 23:09:39

Namechanger, children currently eligible for PP must still be in care- but this changes from April 2014 to include children adopted from LA care and those on SGOs.

It's certainly a step in the right direction IMO.

fasparent Wed 09-Oct-13 09:52:32

Think its wait and see, is as tethersend say's , but unlike children in care these are not, more of on-going support and educational interventions.,
there will also have too be very strict confidential criteria, too protect child and family's , Not all adoptive parents will want personal child's/family status Known.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 09-Oct-13 23:21:06

Thanks tethersend. Very useful to have you around knowing all this stuff smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now