Are criminal record checks required if you have lived overseas?

(12 Posts)
drspouse Tue 29-Oct-13 10:28:58

Yes they are - I had 3 countries of which hubby had 1 - we got them from 2 in the end and we showed the efforts we had made to get the third. They appreciated that some countries will never come up with the goods!

TrinnyandSatsuma Wed 23-Oct-13 20:45:00

Our experience was that yes they are. My husband lived abroad for a year before we met, and we had to get a criminal check from that country. It took several weeks, and frustratingly, we weren't allocated a social worker to begin assessment until it came back.

Might be worth starting to research how to get he checks done so that it causes minimum delay.

All the best with the assessment smile

Isitraining Sat 19-Oct-13 21:29:12

When we were initally assessed 8 years ago we needed CRB equivalents from abroad for the 2 years we lived there. It was an absolute nightmare with fingerprinting, trips to the embassy in London, paying for private translations and can't remember what else.

It took ages, and as far as I can recall DPs never got included as they insited he went to the embassy to collect it and we live 250 miles away! So complete and utter waste of time.

You can "argue! about the necessity of these things, or offer extra referees from that time in your life (I did that for something else and it worked)

Sorry...............

ks9aq Wed 16-Oct-13 20:01:51

We are going through adoption assessment at present. Those in our cohort were told that they needed a certificate of good conduct from the countries they have lived in outside UK.

Hels20 Wed 16-Oct-13 18:22:36

I lived in Singapore on two occasions. Unfortunately in about 2010 Singapore changed the rules re CRBs and would only give them if you had a Singapore passport. I forwarded this info to my agency and also got a letter from each employer who employed me out there - and this sufficed.

Stylistica I have lived overseas for varying periods of time, once for over a year a long time ago, and the most recent and longest being 2 years abroad, which was over 15 years ago.

I simply filled in the forms saying where I had lived and worked when we applied and social services (we are going with our local county council) did whatever they needed to do to be sure I was not a criminal or whatever.

I was not asked to find out anything like a police record check etc myself.

I don't have any criminal convictions anywhere so I knew they would not find anything if they looked.

Best to ask your agency or county council if you are concerned about anything.

TeenAndTween Fri 04-Oct-13 14:53:20

I think you may need 'certificates of good conduct' or something from any country you have lived in for more than 3 months.
Ask your agency, they will tell you what they want.
It will probably be your responsibility to obtain them.

Namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 03-Oct-13 23:55:30

Yes afaik. I lived overseas for a year in the late 90s and I have to get a police clearance. Have been working with children for 12 years so,this came as a bit of a shock! V expensive too...

Lilka Thu 03-Oct-13 22:08:19

although they said if the country you lived in does not do police checks, or only does them for citizens etc, it doesn't matter, you just need to show them the evidence that you can't get a background check

Lilka Thu 03-Oct-13 22:06:54

In my experience (I haven't lived overseas myself, but have met parents who have, and was speaking at a prep group day for my LA where this was asked) and from what I've read on AUK, yes they will require checks from anywhere you have lived. My LA says anywhere you have been for 6 months + you need a check, but other agencies will have different requirements

Bananaketchup Thu 03-Oct-13 20:48:32

I've definitely seen posts about it in the old Adoption UK forum so I believe you have to have criminal record checks to cover your whole adulthood. You could try the new AUK boards, but all the old posts disappeared when they made the new forum so unfortunately I don't think you can search for old discussions about it. Sorry not too helpful.

Stylistica Thu 03-Oct-13 18:41:24

Is this required? does anyone know? not on any of the forms, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now