What to write in a card?

(11 Posts)
Glittertwins Sat 20-Jul-13 18:10:57

Thanks for all the replies, card has been written, signed by the DTs as well and went first class night smile

Moomoomie Sat 20-Jul-13 10:08:27

devora I do wonder the same thing. Maybe people are too worried about saying the wrong thing, that they don't say anything at all. Similar to when there is a bereavement.
Op, you sound as if you are a very kind person. Trying to do the right thing. Congratulations on your new nephew.

Devora Fri 19-Jul-13 23:58:24

I'd have been glad of any card at all! I don't think I got any when I adopted dd2 - huge contrast to when I gave birth to dd1 - I wonder if people weren't really sure what to say so didn't say anything at all?

I think your suggested words are lovely.

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 19-Jul-13 12:05:56

We received all kinds of cards which said all types of things - new baby (she was 10 mo.), congratulations, welcome home etc. I loved every single one of them. I was thrilled that people were so happy for us and so thoughtful.

Glittertwins Fri 19-Jul-13 11:51:33

They live nearly 200 miles away so we won't be barging in anytime soon. DB is going to set up Skype when they are ready so he can hear our voices little by little. I remember coming home with DTs and pretty much having a ban on drop in visitors so we could adjust, so we figured they would want to do the same.

Moomoomie Fri 19-Jul-13 11:34:35

"congratulations on the arrival of your son."
"welcome to the family"
As Lilka said, any message of congratulations is very welcome.
Also, remember to be led by them re introductions, they will probably want to play it low key.

Glittertwins Fri 19-Jul-13 10:46:02

We've got some practical things for him, our parents have got a lovely cuddly toy amongst others. My DTs can't wait to meet their new cousin either.

Lilka Fri 19-Jul-13 10:41:36

A welcome home card would be lovely smile Basically, any congratulations cards are ususally appreciated - some adoptive parents find that people ignore the new arrival and don't send anything which can be pretty hurtful.

Glittertwins Fri 19-Jul-13 10:16:14

Thanks Laquila. I didn't want to make a big issue out of it and offend.

Laquila Fri 19-Jul-13 10:13:10

What about something like "Congratulations on the newest addition to your family"?

Or maybe "To X, Y and Z - wishing you lots of love as you start your journey together". Actually that's very cheesy, maybe not!

FWIW I think what you've suggested is fine, actually.

Glittertwins Fri 19-Jul-13 10:06:46

Hi, I have never posted in here but I could do with some advice.
My DB and SIL have just become parents to a gorgeous boy. I have a card to send but am a bit stuck on what to write. Would "welcome home" put your teeth on edge? Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now