Adoption Agency not wanting to proceed with our Adoption Application

(15 Posts)

Sunshine great news, all the best.

Moomoomie Wed 22-May-13 20:48:05

Well, it sounds as if ou have passed your first test!
Really glad it has worked out for you, hope the rest of the home study and panel go smoothly.

HappySunflower Wed 22-May-13 16:28:18

Oh, what wonderful news! smile

Happiestinwellybobs Tue 21-May-13 18:19:36

That is superb news smile

SunshineMonkey Tue 21-May-13 17:23:03

Well it's good news. We had a sit down with our SW and their manager and went through their concerns and after a bit of a conference back at base they are happy for us to continue. So the panic is over. smile

Talk about a stressful couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed it's all worked out.

Gemini1974 Fri 17-May-13 11:15:16

Consider going via an independent agency. They have access to the full UK network and it's in their interests to work hard for you. The only downside is that councils will choose locally approved adopters over you as they have to pay a fee. But there are a lot of children needing homes! It took us 18 months from initial enquiry to bringing our children home.

Hi - this happened to us (sort of) - we were turned down by our local authority, and they gave very weak answers - when I pressed them, they basically stated it was down to timescales and their own targets. Needless to say I was livid.

We eventually ended up applying to a neighbouring council, and they accepted us.

If I were you - I would press the sw and her manager when they come round, as they have wasted your time, their time, and tax payers money, and it is not good enough. If you think they are poor reasons, keep on pressing them, and make them uncomfortable.

If they simply wont proceed, you can always apply to a neighbouring council.

One tip - County councils are bound by their county borders, and cannot take anyone from outside the area. City councils actively look for 'outsiders' as they don't like placing children within city limits - you may want to try a city council.

Best of luck.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 17-May-13 09:30:33

What were their reasons? Are they things that you could change?

SunshineMonkey Fri 17-May-13 09:28:09

Thanks everyone for the words of support.

Our social worker and her manager are coming around next week for a home visit. I am hoping that we will find out more during that meeting.

I'll post an update afterwards to let you know how we get on....

Happiestinwellybobs Tue 14-May-13 19:54:22

Sorry that this has happened and completely agree with Happy. I can't understand how they can get to three months in to home study and then announce this. Any concerns should have been raised along the way sad

Hope you get some good advice from BAAF and good luck.

HappySunflower Mon 13-May-13 21:19:12

How awfully upsetting for you sad and what an awful shock. It strikes me that they weren't being transparent enough in their assessment of you; in my opinion, news like this should not come as a complete surprise to you if they are giving you clear feedback along each stage of the process.

My advice to you would be to contact BAAF, tell them everything, have all your notes in front of you when you talk to them. They have always given me excellent advice and support.

Good luck, and please do keep us posted if you feel able to.

No advice to give, just very sorry for you and hope you find the right way forward.

TeenAndTween Mon 13-May-13 12:51:20

It is difficult to say without knowing their reasons, and your view on it.

If you go over to the Adoption UK website and post on there you will get a wealth of views and experience. This is likely to cover both why the agency may feel the reasons are valid, plus how you can overcome them. I have seen very insightful comments to those in similar situations to yours there before.

Best wishes

flossymuldoon Mon 13-May-13 09:05:54

I am so sorry that this has happened to you - you must be devastated.

I don't have any advice for you as have not been in this situation but hoping someone will come along soon who can advise you!

SunshineMonkey Mon 13-May-13 08:19:29

Hi Everyone,

We are/were 3 months into our home study and the SW was aiming to present us to Panel in August. So we were absolutely shocked and devastated when we told last week that the adoption agency would not be taking our application any further.

In our opinion they gave some fairly week reasons why they will not be taking things forward but we do not see them as "show stoppers".

We have not been to Panel and the PAR has not been drafted.

We want to contest their decision but are not sure how we are best to do this.

We have been looking at the Independent Review Mechanism website but there isn't much info on there.

It seems the main option is to ask the agency to make a "qualifying determination" and then take it to the IRM but we are not sure if that is the best way to approach this.

Any advice or experience on this will be greatly received.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now