Mums through surrogacy - what leave / pay did you get if any?

(9 Posts)
QOD Fri 19-Apr-13 21:39:30

Good one

Makes me cross, it's your blumming child!!

OceanBeach Fri 19-Apr-13 13:42:18

Thanks QOD, have been NC once a week otherwise I am soooo identifiable. Have made them take their non decision to the policy development team along with giving them copies of other trusts or give surrogacy leave along with a little bit of subtle emotion thrown in too!

QOD Fri 19-Apr-13 13:19:38

I think you may have done another post? If so, sorry if I'm repeating myself a,

I got full maternity leave equivalent 15 yrs ago. I worked for Guardian Royal Exchange at the time, excellent company, bought by AXA.

Parental order isn't granted until baby is 8/9 months

I used a tiny bit of emotional black mail, as in surely the wouldn't prejudice ....

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 13-Apr-13 20:42:48

Can I suggest that you approach the regional organiser for your union, rather than the local one?

Ask them if there is any precedent nationally within the NHS for this and if they are willing to approach your employer with you.

I would also post in employment issues on here and sign up for any forums used by NHS staff or union message boards to post about this issue. If you a successful with a surrogate pregnancy then you'll be a parent (fingers crossed for you!) and you should be entitled to what other new parents get IMO.

Good luck.

EverythingsJustBeachy Fri 12-Apr-13 22:19:44

I've already checked the policy's.

Organisation I work for is NHS

Union thinks that when I get parental order, say 6-9months old could technically qualify for adoption leave then if they give me nothing initially, it that doesn't sound right.

Was just trying to find out what others have got so could ask for similar

KristinaM Fri 12-Apr-13 20:08:34

I think you only get adoption leave if your child is placed by an adoption agency. You woudl need to check the legislation and also your employee handbook

PessimisticMissPiggy Fri 12-Apr-13 20:07:25

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you.

My employer is a civil service organisation and adoption leave is equal to maternity leave. At present we have no surrogacy arrangements. It seems inequitable that you would not be entitled to parental leave with rights to return to your job, when you too will be a new parent.

Can you advise which union you have spoken to?

EverythingsJustBeachy Fri 12-Apr-13 19:54:41

Shameless bump

EverythingsJustBeachy Fri 12-Apr-13 14:49:00

I am starting on our surrogacy journey and work HR have already told me I can't have any pay or leave, except a few weeks unpaid when baby is born, despite my intentions to try and breast feed.

If you had a child through surrogacy please tell me what your employer let you ha e if anything. Am hoping if it gets to a meeting stage could have some information as to what I'd hope to get as a ball park figure.

Union information seems to think I might be entitled to adoption leave once parental order goes through, although have heard this can take many many months!

Especially would like to hear if you work for government type employer. I.e. teaching, civial service, nhs etc etc

Thankyou.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now