Lowering a BMI!!!!

(124 Posts)

OK, it's official, this little greyhound is less whippet

www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Breed-Center/Hound-Group/Whippet/Appearance.aspx

and more whipped cream!

coleensrecipes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/peanut-butter-chocolate-dessert-with.html

My lovely social worker has pointed out my BMI is a bit high and asked what I think I can do about it. I said lower it. Of course. But it is actually quite hard. I have taken up running and Taekwan-do but I also love my food.

Please inspire me if you were also advised to lower the dreaded BMI and how you did it, please.

Thanks so much.

thanks fwink

mrssmith79 Sat 20-Dec-14 13:54:15

delurks
sts = stay the same, i.e. don't worry about losing, just focus on not gaining until the festivities are out of the way.

fwink

Knottyknitter thanks, I'm not on low fodmaps any more, it did not have an impact. What is ....sts over Christmas?

Blossom that is fab news. Can I ask what 'system' if any you are using?

Thanks, and Happy Christmas to you both and to any 'lurkers'!

Knottyknitter Sat 20-Dec-14 09:10:01

As you have access to a dietician already, I'd use them. Can you email them before your next appointment. FODMAPS shouldn't be a problem in itself.

Just focus on sts over Christmas. Watch the booze as loads of empty calories there.

Things like myfitnesspal.com helped me a lot.

blossom101001 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:03:49

I am the same- my BMI is very high. My weight according to the doctors is directly related to my infertility. However, I needed to prove that I could lose weight and I did so. Every month I went and saw my nurse at the GPs she weighed me and wrote it down. I could prove that I was losing weight. it was brought up at approval but I had my record from the nurse which the panel were happy with. I still go to the nurse now but every 3 months. I am still way over the optimal BMI but I was able to adopt and my boys have been home for 4 months.

Yes, definitely. It is just hard with it being Christmas and so much going on, I have to miss it for a few weeks and I am finding that hard.

Kristingle Fri 19-Dec-14 23:13:12

Glad you are feeling better Italian

Are you finding OA helpful ?

Things have been tough this week as I have been unwell but things are now looking up.

All going well at the moment with Overeaters Anonymous. Any adopters, or adopters in the making, out there wanting to share stories or inspire, encourage each other?

oh I should just say for any new people reading weight loss can sometimes be an issue for some people adopting! It is not always. And although I have issues with overeating and I weigh more than I should to be healthy I showed social workers I was working on tackling these and the weight did not stop me adopting so please do not see this thread as a negative place. I just wanted to try and start it up again if anyone needs support or has anything to share regarding weight loss in relation to adoption.

Thanks. grin

Hi, if anyone is still reading remember me. I have struggled with overeating for years and started this thread about 18 months ago when we were half way through our adoption process. It is all now completed and our little one is home with us.

Sadly, I am still not so little and so I have joined Overeaters Anonymous (OA) and started to go to counselling too, which I tried before I am just so happy to be able to re-start.

I have just started a thread for anyone who is also doing OA and if anyone is interested and wants to pop in and say hi, please do. It is called

Overeaters Anonymous - anyone anonymously out there want to share?!

and is at

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eating_disorders/2226309-Overeaters-Anonymous-anyone-anonymously-out-there-want-to-share?msgid=50499011#50499011

I just felt it was a good way to start a specific thread without de-railing any others and I will keep checking on here too in case anyone if going through adoption process and is trying to lose weight. Of course not all people going through adoption who have a little weight to lose need OA, it may well not be for everyone but I do feel it is for me and just wanted to share.

Good luck to all losing weight and in process to adopt.

Did anyone else watch Wight Loss Ward?

I do kind of feel for very overweight/obese people there are often (not always) issues behind the overeating. For me it was OCD as a teenager that morphed into overeating in my twenties.

This may not be the case for everyone but I do (personally) think for a lot of seriously overweight people that there can be issues behind why people end up over eating a lot and even putting weight back on after losing a lot of weight. Not always but sometimes.

I watched Weight Loss Ward on ITV this week and people who had lots of a weight through surgery needed lots of help to keep the weight off. One woman had never really got over the death of her mother, her mother was like her best friend and she had not coped well with losing her, I think when she was a young mum herself.

Some issues were even more serious - one poor woman who had had been abused as a child had had issues with food and alcohol and later went on to excessively use pain killers as well binging. Another had lost her best friend as a teenager, her friend had been killed and she ended up being very overweight and said her life had kind of stopped there and then when she lost her friend. She had surgery and went on to lose lots of weight and seemed to be able to move forward.

Also, having watched Supersize vs Superskinny I noticed that many people had issues in their past such as bullying when they were children or had had major issues such as infertility or the loss of a child which had led to either overeating or undereating. Of course not all larger people or people with food issues (either over eating or under eating) will have these major issues in their lives but some will.

Anyway, for me part of weight loss is getting over the issues of past and not relying on food to make me feel better. It was very subtle for me in that it took me years to work out that my impulsive over eating was linked to the OCD I had years ago.

PS I should say the sozo was not really for me.

The New Id newid.org/ was good and got me on the road.

The best thing has been counselling because my issues with food are connected to the OCD I had when I was a lot younger.

Back on page 2 of this thread I wrote a bit about the reasons behind this. I said.....

If a person is very overweight or obese there is a chance the children in that family will also be overweight or obese. This might be because of gentics in some families but probably is a lot more to do with habits and patterns of eating and attitude to food. So to put a healthy child into a family where people ate very badly might be viewed by some as being wrong. If it were a choice of a fat family or no family I expect most kids would want a family, but if being in that family means you will end up overweight or obese and as a result get bullied at school or have health problems you can really see where they are coming from in wanting to avoid that and wanting kids to have the chance to join a 'healthy' family.

This does not apply to me as DH and DD are both slim and healthy, very fit and sporty. We eat a very sensible, healthy diet as a family.

The second reason, which does apply to me, is that people who are very overweight or obese run an increased risk of lots of diseases including life-threatening illnesses!

My problems with overeating go back a long way. Over the years I have tried lots of diets and exercise regimes and if I am honest they have all failed long term!

I now do sport that I think is fun (walking and Taekwan-do) and as a Christian I have had some councelling/prayer ministry to deal with the issues of why I over eat. But I am still overweight because I overate for a long time. I had two big break throughs, one last year that dealt with the overeating and another which I really hope has dealt with the reasons why I want to overeat!

www.bethelsozo.org.uk/

newid.org/

I was really hoping for some inspiration and encouragement. I don't want to join a diet club, it's not for me, but I do like to be inspired by other people's great stories.

Hope that explains itsbetterthanabox a tiny bit about why social services may ask prospective adopters to lose weight and also about why I started this thread back in April 2013.

As an update we have now adopted our fit healthy little boy, you joins our it healthy dd and my fit healthy hubby! I am the only overweight, unfit person in the family and I am still working on it.

itsbetterthanabox it's not off topic. It's fine to ask. We started our accession in 2012 and finished in 2013. We were told my weight was too high and that I needed to try and lose weight. Which I have been doing.

Generally, in adoption social services would like adopters to have a reasonably healthy BMI.

There are lots of reasons for this. Please feel free to ask anything you would like to. Weight alone should not be an issue, unless someone is dangerously overweight.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 02-Aug-14 02:08:37

Sorry this may be slightly off topic. But have you been told you have to lose weight to be able to adopt? shock Or am I completely wrong.

Quite proud of myself today. I threw away things I should not eat! DD's left over shortbread and gammon rind! I did it because I was thinking of you guys, so thanks for the inspiration.

Just watched Weight loss ward on ITV. It is inspirational, and scary!

Well done tinkerbellpixie.

Velvet keep going, don't give up.

Velvet1973 Wed 30-Jul-14 21:36:43

Well done Tinkerbelle that's great. I'm really struggling with mine at the mo. Am being good food wise but exercise has gone out the window in thus heat and have a lot going on at the mo. Really want to lose another stone before panel in September but can't see it happening.
You're doing really well to keep your motivation in all the adversity they keep throwing at you.

tinkerbellpixie Wed 30-Jul-14 20:58:04

Well after both of us going to the Dr and asking for some help with weight loss so that we can effectively demonstrate to the s/w and panel that we can do it we have both been referred to the tier 3 weight management scheme at hospital. This will be assessments on weight bone density etc and assessing our diet. We have both kept food diaries and I have lost another 6lbs by running around behind minded children all day.
But we are getting there

tinklerbelle hope you will work it all out. Good advice Velvet.

Velvet1973 Thu 17-Jul-14 23:52:10

Hi Tinkerbell,
Sorry to hear things are on hold for you. Have you tried the sw extra easy? I know a lot of people still think of sw as the green and red days but the extra easy is brilliant. I would have thought it would be fairly easy to incorporate food allergies into a sw diet now. Ww didn't work for me but I did lose 5 stone with sw but it took 3 years. I'd definitely recommend it especially if you cook a lot of your own meals rather than buy ready meals as it's definitely much easier that way.
Good luck.
P.s. Also found the walking was the best way to lose it too. Tried running and aquafit etc but best results were from a good brisk daily walk so well done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now