Holidays.

(6 Posts)
Moomoomie Sun 31-Mar-13 14:49:19

As a family we go away on holiday as much as we can( we have a motor home )
We are packing today to go off tomorrow. Dd1 who is 14 is in tears because she doesn't want to go, she says she doesn't know why.
She is becoming more of a homebody at the moment and likes to spend a fair amount of time in her bedroom.
Should I be worried? Or is it just her hormones?

Lilka Sun 31-Mar-13 17:01:07

It might be hormonal, they can make your emotions go haywire. Especially if she has no idea why she is feeling this way. I remember (going back a fair way mind - haha!!) feeling extremely tearful and also anxious about going out when I was about 15 or so, but had no reason to feel that way, so i think it must have been hormonal swings

But keep an eye if she's spending very long periods alone in her bedroom, just in case there's something else going on as well that she isn't able to articulate now. Has she been having any problems with friends, school or similar, or been miserable about anything else recently?

I hope you have a great time smile

Lilka Sun 31-Mar-13 17:02:23

I mean I wasn;t tearful all the time, I just went through an up-down phase where I would have good weeks then a horrid week, rinse and repeat

KristinaM Sun 31-Mar-13 18:59:22

It might be just hormones

I assume you have thought about all the Normal things, like falling out with friends, problems at school , cyber bullying etc?

Is there a big trauma in her past that occurred at this time? Eg leaving birth mum, moving to you etc Even if they have no conscious memory or knowledge it can still affect them badly

Does she get upset by small changes of routine, like the clocks going forward?

Is she worried about the lack of privacy in the motor home? DD aged 13 makes me leave the room when she changes her t shirt !

Is she worried about loosing touch with friends while away, has she got a mobile so she can text etc? Not advocating that but just wonderng if she would like to stay in touch with friends while away or would that interfer with the family together atmosphere of holiday.

Might it help if she has more control over what was planned for hols or might she help to plan them? My dd is 8 so I have no expereince yet of teenagers so these are just random ideas, please feel free to ignore!

Moomoomie Sun 31-Mar-13 19:32:35

Thank you for the replies. She is having a few friendship issues at the moment,but I don't think it is that.
We will have wi fi while we are away so she will still be able to keep in touch with her friends.
She normally really enjoys our time away. She has her own bunk with curtains, so I don't think it is a privacy issue.
I think she may be feeling as though she is lacking in attention. We have just spent some time together on you tube.... Looking at Anime and hair dyes! She does seem better.
. Dd3 is very demanding of attention and I do feel I don't always have enough time to share!
Life with three children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now