Maternity / Adoption leave equal, but nothing at all for intended parents of surrogacy, why?

(26 Posts)
hhhhhhh Thu 28-Mar-13 18:25:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anonymosity Thu 28-Mar-13 21:14:15

Can you renegotiate this on a one-off basis? Can you discuss with HR? I think they'd be hard pressed not to allow it, but it will very much depend on the company.

hhhhhhh Fri 29-Mar-13 13:48:11

BetterThanChocolate Sat 30-Mar-13 18:15:46

Are you sure when it refers to surrogacy it doesn't mean no paid leave if you are a surrogate?

HDEE Sat 30-Mar-13 18:19:50

The mother to the surrogate twins I gave birth to, managed to get Maternity Pay. She is/was a deputy head at a Primary school. I think she got six months half pay, but it was five years ago so can't remember.

HDEE Sat 30-Mar-13 18:20:47

BetterThanChocolate, it won't mean that, as that would be against the law. A surrogate mother has exactly the same rights as any other birthing employee.

hhhhhhh Sun 31-Mar-13 17:58:19

hhhhhhh Sun 31-Mar-13 18:05:59

hhhhhhh Sun 31-Mar-13 18:07:59

bringonyourwreckingball Sun 31-Mar-13 18:10:20

It's all changing in a couple of years, intended parents under surrogacy arrangements will have roughly the same rights as adoptive parents. at the moment it's at the employer's discretion as there's no right to statutory leave or pay.

hhhhhhh Mon 01-Apr-13 18:17:53

ivehadaverybadday Mon 01-Apr-13 18:21:49

The NHS gives the same leave for surrogates as for adoption and standard maternity. Don't you have to officially adopt the child anyway, so you might come under the adoption leave criteria?

TheEasterQODdy Mon 01-Apr-13 18:22:00

I got it, fully paid, in 98/99

I asked for it, was offered adoption leave (think at that time it was 6 months unpaid) and refused to accept that.

I suggested that I would be looking at taking up a test case to see if we could get a law changed.

Got offered normal maternity paid, got it in writing, then broke it to the company that my friend and colleague was the surrogate grin
She only took 6 weeks, 2 pre birth, 4 after to recover from c section.

That was in 1998!! Can't believe its not changed still.

TheEasterQODdy Mon 01-Apr-13 18:24:17

No I'vehadaverybadday you don't have to adopt, it's covered under firstly pr with the birth mother and the actual father (intended father) and then you apply for a Parental Order which makes it legally a child of your marriage (the IP's or Intended Parents marriage)
Saying that, isn't adoption leave the same as maternity now?

hhhhhhh Mon 01-Apr-13 23:17:17

hhhhhhh Thu 04-Apr-13 19:02:48

QOD Thu 04-Apr-13 19:18:14

So they don't pay for adoption leave?

hhhhhhh Thu 04-Apr-13 20:15:26

QOD Thu 04-Apr-13 20:53:21

I don't know about the law change

I worked at that point for Guardian Royal Exchange, they did NOT want to hit the Daily Fail as being a company who wouldn't support a long term dedicated worker in her only way of being a mum.

I did say I would seek legal advice as I felt it was a bit prejudiced. I spoke to the free legal advice service thru my home insurance. Someone from the British Maternity Association (searches memory) called me and said they'd support a case.

They backed down and offered it.

hhhhhhh Sat 06-Apr-13 11:12:43

hhhhhhh Sun 07-Apr-13 18:38:25

Queenofknickers Sun 07-Apr-13 18:45:46

I run an HR. dept and that sounds v odd - I would always grant same leave for parents regardless whether child was adopted, via a surrogate or whatever. Challenge them. Hard. Good luck smile

QOD Tue 09-Apr-13 09:08:39

Queen of knickers, would you help her write a letter?

I'm pretty sure I threw in a "seems prejudiced against ..." Type of comment.

But 'twas yonks ago.

hhhhhhh Tue 09-Apr-13 22:16:29

hhhhhhh Fri 12-Apr-13 14:41:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now