Aghhhhhh

(8 Posts)
Happiestinwellybobs Fri 22-Mar-13 22:02:07

I will never forget the time our DD's SW and manager were due for a review. DD aged 14 mo climbed on the toy box and threw herself head first onto the skirting board. Cue a black egg shaped bump on her forehead - it was so bad I rang my mum in tears. DM assured me it probably wasn't as bad as I thought, until she arrived at my house and saw the damage. Various suggestions - after we realised that frozen sweet corn on her head wasn't doing much - were to face paint her, stick a balaclava on her (DM helping!!).

After spending an hour with us SW's manager commented that he was surprised DD didn't have more bruises considering how she approached everything with great gusto!!

I can now look back at these incidents (including the time I forgot SW was due and DD was covered in green paint) with laughter. Kids get bruises and SWs realise this - better this than them being wrapped up in cotton wool - you'll be fine.

Broodymomma Fri 22-Mar-13 16:50:47

I shouldn't but couldn't stop laughing at the lady banginge her kids head twice whilst saying goodbye! That will be my luck!!

Broodymomma Fri 22-Mar-13 16:49:54

Thanks everyone. I can laugh now but honestly his timing is just perfect. Then yesterday he fell with his elbow bent and for a awful moment I thought he may have broke his arm. Can just imagine what sw would think walking in to meet him with his black eye and arm in plaster! Thankfully the other mum was there when it happened so she can back me up as to what happened. My nerves will be shot by the time they actually visit.

Kewcumber Fri 22-Mar-13 13:24:24

Ha ha ha haaa! Sorry yes I giggled too. DS used to sport a lovely bruise generally in the middle of his forehead just a couple of days before just about every SW visit.

Someone on MN told a hysterical story some years ago about bashing her baby's head on the door frame whilst saying goodbye to the SW at the door - TWICE within 5 mins!

You'll be fine!

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 21-Mar-13 22:22:15

Don't worry!

When DS was a baby, whenever he saw a HV he seemed to have just scratched his face. Same when we had our home visits - always a scraped knee or bruised elbow. Fortunately SW can tell the difference between normal child bumps and something more sinister

MrsDeVere Thu 21-Mar-13 21:30:52

Our DS lived with us whilst we were being assessed to adopt him (we are kinship adopters so had him from newborn).

EVERY blummun time we were due a big review or something he would get a black eye, whacking great bruise or similar injury.

On one memorable occasion he learnt to bark the day before a social work visit hmm

Just explain what happened. You could ignore it but if I walked into a room and saw a kid sporting a huge shiner my natural nosiness would compel me to ask what happened.

dont fret smile

MrsBW Thu 21-Mar-13 21:27:11

Sorry, it's not funny at all but I stifled a little giggle at the injustice... if DH and I had birth children and were looking to adopt, this would definitely happen to us!!!

I'd just be up front with the social worker and ask her if she needs you to do anything to allay any concerns (get a letter from the other child's parents to explain what happened for example?)

I'm sure it won't look bad... Lets face it, if you were abusing your child, you'd hardly punch them in the face a few days before a visit would you? (I know that sounds flippant, but hopefully you know what I mean???)

Broodymomma Thu 21-Mar-13 18:56:00

So we have just started home study and our so is coming to meet our 6 year old next week and he is now sporting the worst possible black eye due to a unfortunate head bang with his friend. Will it look bad on us??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now