I felt like a mummy today!

(34 Posts)
Ladyofthehouse Fri 09-Nov-12 22:59:41

Hello!

As some of you will know our daughters came to live with us 3 weeks ago. I have spent the last week on my own with them as DH went back to work.

I was dreading it and I will be honest the first couple of days I would have given anything to go back to work.

But today was the first day I felt in control and like a mum! Girls up, dressed, and out to nanny and grandpas and to soft play - listening to me (mostly!) and i could pretty much preempt their thoughts (of grabbing things!) and know when they need me.

What also helped was seeing some other mums with their perfect little children admiring the girls for being so adorable!!!

Me and DH have just been having a curry and can't stop speaking about how amazing they are and how happy we are as a family now! I wouldn't say I yet feel like their mummy - but I definitely feel like a mummy. If that makes sense - hoping it will to other adoptive mummies out there!???

Jenda Tue 20-Nov-12 20:12:13

Lovely post. Im not a mum yet but you sound so happy that it made me cry. You sound like a lovely mum. Hope you have a wonderful first christmas together!

Ladyofthehouse Tue 20-Nov-12 18:46:17

Thankyou for all your kind words!

Our DD's are 2.5 and 20 months - only 11 months between them so we're keeping busy!

AngelsWithSilverWings Thu 15-Nov-12 18:28:55

Another adoptive mother here.

Congratulations on your new family!

Your post gave me a warm glow as it made me remember those early days when DH and I used to just sit there grinning at each after putting our then 10 month old baby boy to bed.

Happy Days!

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 15-Nov-12 16:22:08

One of the nicest posts I have read on MN! Makes perfect sense, very happy for you OP

mindyourhead Sat 10-Nov-12 21:58:33

How old are they?

Of course it makes sensesmile
Enjoy every minute of it, and congratulations!

JuliaScurr Sat 10-Nov-12 20:49:57

tbh, I could have written that when (biological) dd was little - you sound like the usual mixture of bewilderment, amazement, delight and panic
grin

moojie Sat 10-Nov-12 20:46:52

Lovely post and I too have no experience of adoption but can totally identify with your feelings! It took months to feel like ds1's mummy and just a few hours for ds2. Now some days they don't let me forget I am their mummy and I feel like changing my name....

Enjoy x

SoulTrain Sat 10-Nov-12 20:39:44

I like this post very much. I have a DS (not adopted) and it took me ages to morph into a "Mum." Wishing you and your family all the very best. Those two girls sound like they have a lovely Mummy!

funnychic Sat 10-Nov-12 16:52:05

Aww so sweet and lovely to hear. xx

SirBoobAlot Sat 10-Nov-12 13:58:04

I don't know your story, and know very little about adoption, but this post has made me smile so much smile

WendyGx Sat 10-Nov-12 13:53:55

I am so very pleased for you - thats just great news. Lovely!

Lilka Sat 10-Nov-12 11:46:13

Makes total sense. Really lovely smile

Marrow Sat 10-Nov-12 10:37:45

That's lovely smile

LocoParentis Sat 10-Nov-12 10:35:44

I'm really pleased for you, it's lovely to hear it's going so well

Alaro Sat 10-Nov-12 10:25:22

OP - we all feel like that, whether we have adopted or not. Congratulations <and a very un-Mnetty x>

SavoyCabbage Sat 10-Nov-12 10:06:54

I am fully crying! My dds are not adopted but I remember well what I felt like realising I was somebody's mother. I have two dds too. It's lovely.

Kewcumber Sat 10-Nov-12 10:02:58

"I wouldn't say I yet feel like their mummy - but I definitely feel like a mummy."

That makes perfect sense! You never quite identify the point at which you do feel like their mummy so enjoy this first stage in feeling like a mummy.

The oddest stage for me was when DS wasn't with me in the first year - I wasn't totally comfortable with him and still like the babysitter and yet when he wasn't there it felt very wrong and I couldn't quite work out what to do with myself! Thankfully that passed!

Congratulations.

ilikesweetpeas Sat 10-Nov-12 07:37:37

Big congratulations! Sounds like you and your girls are very lucky to have each other, have a good weekend!

Sleepyfergus Sat 10-Nov-12 07:33:57

Just came across this post in active convos, and like others know nothing about adoption but can imagine its a long and often difficult road to tred.

Your post is lovely, sounds like a typical mummy to me! I'm so happy that you have all found one another, your girls are so very lucky! Are they all sisters?

Olympicrock Sat 10-Nov-12 07:31:04

Well done you x

I'm not an adoptive parent but, as the delightfully titled Arseface said, you sound like a Mummy to me (actually the bits about dreading filling a whole day with them and wishing you were back at work also sound very 'Mummy' wink)

Enjoy them!

Happiestinwellybobs Sat 10-Nov-12 07:04:13

Sounds completely normal and completely brilliant! Glad it is going well smile

Lovesoftplay Sat 10-Nov-12 06:35:43

How fantastic grin

Arseface Sat 10-Nov-12 01:06:08

You sound like a mum! You've perfectly described that lovely feeling of a day going right with the small people.

You all sound very lucky to have found each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now