Adoption Christmas meet

(81 Posts)
Kewcumber Tue 18-Sep-12 18:09:14

Good idea/bad idea?

What d'yall reckon?

Devora Thu 20-Sep-12 21:57:36

Yes, do you think we can tempt along MrsDV to update us on her monstrosity-next-door situation?

Maryz Thu 20-Sep-12 22:01:08

Yep, £4.50 for the ticket.

And about £40 for the taxes, a tenner each way to book with a credit card (unless it's a Ryanair credit card and who has one of those hmm), another tenner each way to check in online (with no alternative, as it costs double that at least at the airport), and sundry other crap.

The ten euro tickets I bought for ds2 and dh to go to the Olympics cost me €130 by the time I'd added it all up shock.

If you travel at silly o'clock midweek you can sometimes get a "no-taxes" ticket (so only have to pay cc fee and checkin).

It's a fecking disgrace [mutter].

But sadly still cheaper than Aer Lingus.

Isn't Lilka way ooop North or is it South ?

bran Thu 20-Sep-12 22:02:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Devora Thu 20-Sep-12 22:11:15

Plus the therapist bills to cope with the mental stress of travelling with Ryanair...

Maryz Thu 20-Sep-12 22:14:34

Yes, bran, but from what I can see it still won't allow abused children to be adopted without the consent of their abusive parents sad.

It will allow long-term foster carers who have had their foster children for over three years to apply to adopt (with no guarantee that they can, but at least they can apply, it will be up to the judge to dispense with parental rights which in Ireland they aren't keen to do).

It will also allow children of married parents to be adopted, if the parents wish to place them for adoption - which isn't likely to happen much. I suspect this bit is in place because of the publicised case where an adopted child was returned to his biological parents (after a years with AP's) because they got married hmm.

The rest is bollocks. It will make no difference [bitter]. There is no help in this country for vulnerable children; the waiting lists for SS help are ridiculous, children as young as 14 are placed in adult homeless shelters, and many of them die in care.

Claifairy Thu 20-Sep-12 22:15:00

Would love to come down but my 'hotel' in London has had the nerve to move to get a bigger house for less money and not considered my needs for a London fix every few months (pre little man of course!)

If you fancy a night out in Liverpool though ....

HappySunflower Thu 20-Sep-12 22:26:09

We are an hour from London, and I've only had one night out since dd arrived and I made sure that I was only 15 minutes away.

I'll give it some thought as would love to meet you all!

Lilka Thu 20-Sep-12 22:48:26

Maryz is right

Devora - I used to be in Notts, but now in Newcastle area, about 5 hours from London. I don't think I can manage a 10 hour round trip. Such a shame sad

Lilka Thu 20-Sep-12 22:54:34

Although having said that, I am glad to be back up here. Always be a Geordie at heart smile

Devora Thu 20-Sep-12 23:05:28

Ok, that IS a shlep. I'll let you off, Lilka.

Maryz and Bran, another Dubliner here...maybe we should have our own meet up sometime?

I'm hoping the referendum brings some positive change. We gave respite care for years for a child in long term foster care. She's 18 now so it's too late for her 9to be adopted) but her brother still has a chance to be adopted by their FCs. Their BM will never ever be allowed to parent them, she fucked up royally.

FamiliesShareGerms DM me?

Lovesoftplay Sat 22-Sep-12 07:46:13

This may be an uber stupid question, but would this be an evening thing, or daytime/afternoon?

I'd assumed evening, without children? But am I wrong?

HappySunflower Sat 22-Sep-12 10:16:24

Oh, if it ends up being day time with children, then I could definitely come.
Maybe we should do both- that way those of us living too far from London to make the evening could still join in?

That sounds lovely. Is there a date yet?

HappySunflower Sat 22-Sep-12 12:09:28

Not that I am aware of, no.
Maybe we should use meetomatic to look at potential dates?

DameKewcumber Sun 23-Sep-12 20:51:18

I haven't used meetomatic - I use Doodle but either is fine.

I was assuming evening without children.

Sounds great. Please do include me. I'm not in London but it's not too far to get to if it were close to a tube station.

calmlychaotic Sun 23-Sep-12 23:17:21

Ooo I would love to come. I'm in Liverpool too Claifairy x

jenny60 Mon 24-Sep-12 09:19:23

Could I come too? Not in London but might be able to manage.

I've no idea what meetomatic or doodle are - if you set a date please could someone message me?
Would definitely prefer evening, minus children!

HappySunflower Mon 24-Sep-12 11:32:00

I'd love to do evening minus children, but I'm a single parent and have only left my dd twice, and only ever stayed 15 minutes away so an hour and a half is a bit of a scary prospect.

I'm happy to organise something daytime with children if anyone in a similar situation to me is interested in that!

I think I might be up for either a meet up with kids or an evening meet up. Depends really when it is.

calmlychaotic Tue 25-Sep-12 00:38:35

How about a late afternoon with kids then carrying on till evening to accommodate everyone. . .I'm too much of a newbie to be trying to organise hides in corner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now