Newbies

(1000 Posts)

Hi I am a newbie and only just started this journey, officially made the call last week.

Just interested how may other newbies are out there who are still in the early stages. I keep coming across people and recognising names. Anyone want to let on what stage they are at?

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 28-Jun-13 12:20:56

Good luck mrsballack Hope Monday goes well smile

Dinglebellz Sun 30-Jun-13 07:57:03

Hi there, newbie here! Nice to meet you all brew We had our initial visit last week now waiting to hear if we can proceed to application! We think the visit went well, nearly 2 hours! Apparently the SW decide as a team so staying calm she didn't tell us we could proceed there and then! Keeping fx I can continue on this thread!

mrsballack please tell us more about the prep group and how it is going, only share what you feel able to of course. grin

Dingebellz welcome. Any news?

Anyone got any news?

We have, we hae a date for panel and it is not far off, only about a month to go now!!!!!!!!!

[girn]

Hugs to all (we did a lot of hugging on the fertility thread and I miss it!).

Sorry that was grin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer the gurn (girn) Italian!

Fantastic news about panel. So excited for you.

We've been a bit sidetracked the past few weeks. I had an interview for a job (didn't get it) , then I had a fall at work and then ofsted! Hoping to get in touch this week with some la's though.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I was reading at the beginning about some of you trying to lose weight. Do sw's try and crack down on it or do they just want to see you're trying? I was bmi 33 but haven't checked for a while. Did lose a lot before though (5 stone) and I am quite fit. It's my new thing I'm stressing about!

somelightattheendofthetunnel Sun 07-Jul-13 21:13:29

Hi everyone... longtime lurker... just wanted to join your wonderful group.. we are foster carers hopefully being approved to adopt our LO.. we're half way through our assessment which has taken 5 months and go to panel in 7 weeks!!

You have all been a valuable source of information... thank you ....

very excited grin

<sly wave to Tulips>

Good luck somelightattheendofthetunnel

Inthebeginning hope all goes well. How did you lose 5 pounds? I am not sure about weight, I think they just want to see you are aware of issues and you are trying but I am not yet an adopter so best to post a questions for experienced adopters.

lindalass2 Mon 22-Jul-13 15:21:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Choccyjules Mon 22-Jul-13 20:36:03

Hello All,

Another long-time lurker here!

Have now had chats with three agencies and have information evenings/first interviews with each lined up over the next couple of weeks!

So it's finally all starting for us:-) we have always hoped to adopt and now that DD is 5 and we aren't planning any more BC, the time feels right.

Will keep you all in the loop, I know from my reading here that you are a greatly supportive group.

Choccyjules Wed 24-Jul-13 12:12:47

Hmm, one agency is playing hard-to-get, which I realise may be a tactic to encourage tenacity, however they are supposed to be much quicker to talk to you in depth under the new system. The people at the end of their phoneline (not SWs) don't know the system at all, I seem to be telling them what's next. Annoying as they have a great Ofsted. I think they've put this number in between the public and the SWs recently and it aint working :-(

Mum2G Thu 25-Jul-13 09:18:21

Hi all, welcome to new folk, hope the meetings and enquiries are going well!
Hope the Home study is progressing well Mrs Ballack, we have found ours very intense, we are now looking at placement scenarios and how we would deal with them.
Congrats on your panel date Italian, we are pencilled in for 11th Oct for ours, it is so exciting to finally have a date!
Does anyone live in the south west and know of any local adoption support groups?

Mum2G Thu 25-Jul-13 09:24:40

BTW i am overweight (can't remember the bmi no but size 16 and quite short) and this did not seem to be an issue by the sw, and I put on the medical form the measures i am taking to reduce it and the dr was fine about it in the medical

Hi all, Wednesday night we finally decided to do it and emailed some la's! Emailed 3 and have had responses from two so far. One phoned us and had a very detailed conversation and we are going to an open evening the beginning of September.
I know it's the beginning of a long journey but we are so excited to have made the first steps. X

Choccyjules Sat 27-Jul-13 22:49:15

Yay, congrats! We're right at the beginning too. Though the new rules about assessment mean things could happen quicker than I ever imagined...

Choccyjules welcome.

Hi Mum2G. Yes, I second your question..... "Does anyone live in the south west and know of any local adoption support groups?"

Inthebeginining fabulous news.

Choccyjules Sun 28-Jul-13 11:46:57

Thanks, Italian. You and I were around here a year ago, you went forward, we waited for a while and now the time is right :-) have been following your journey this past year, glad you are nearing panel.

I know choccy I can't believe that they've moved it to being so quick! One of the La's we spoke to said about it, I don't know why but I'd got it into my head that it was up to individual councils to decide if they followed it so I had tried not to think about it.
We were sat last night and dh said "this time next year we could be getting ready to meet our child" lovely.

Choccyjules Sun 28-Jul-13 18:42:57

Oh I thought it was law for them all, could be wrong though? If we sign up in Sept we are supposed to have been to panel by end of Feb!!!

No you're right, it's me being a plonker! I think we will be aiming to be signed up end of September so we will be doing this at the same time choccy!

Choccyjules Mon 29-Jul-13 09:50:53

That's great, we can keep each other sane ;-)

Choccyjules Wed 31-Jul-13 15:39:25

Ok, spoke to second LA today and have an initial interview booked with them. So that's one info evening and one interview, in the next fortnight, with two LAs. The VA we are interested in has yet to hear from their medical advisor as to whether we're a go-er for them.

I know it's daft but I am more excited than I thought possible about the initial meetings. I will reign it in, honest!

I'm the same choccy! We have a s.worker coming to the house in a couple of weeks and then an evening meeting in September. I don't think I can manage 6 months of this excitement- I'm gong to drive people mad! X

Thansk chocyjules. 'If we sign up in Sept we are supposed to have been to panel by end of Feb!!!' that sounds very fast. We 'signed' up in September and are going to panel in September. I have heard 9-12 months from quite a few people.

We were due to be seen next month which would have made it 11 months.

Having said that we chose not to go on the course in October but to wait until after Christmas, had we been on prep course in October it would have been about 8 or 8 months.

According to be my parent ...

"It takes several months to be assessed and approved. The recommended maximum time length from your formal application is eight months (seven months in Scotland), which means that for most people it should not take any longer than this. However, in some cases it may take longer. If things are being held up, your agency should keep you informed every step of the way."

www.bemyparent.org.uk/info-for-families/about-adoption/assessment-and-approval,47,AR.html

Sorry about 8 or 9 months!

This thread is not accepting new messages.