Newbies

(1000 Posts)

Hi I am a newbie and only just started this journey, officially made the call last week.

Just interested how may other newbies are out there who are still in the early stages. I keep coming across people and recognising names. Anyone want to let on what stage they are at?

64x32x24 Sun 27-Apr-14 23:37:36

yep, not long to go now! Unless it is cancelled of course... haven't heard anything from our SW since the frantic 2 days of reviewing the PAR.

Glad you're feeling better! Are things with the medical moving on, at least? Do you know what's happening and what is the delay? If not, perhaps a call to your SW to find out, and to remind her of you, would be in order...

Choccyjules Tue 29-Apr-14 17:36:13

[clutchingapprovalletter]

lovehopejoy Tue 29-Apr-14 21:39:31

Wahey!!! Congratulations!

prumarth Tue 29-Apr-14 22:17:00

We are definitely off to matching panel in May. So excited - met foster carer and she is so lovely. She brought us loads of pics. Can't believe we are finally nearly there!
Hope everyone is well!

64x32x24 Tue 29-Apr-14 22:30:43

Gosh pru, how exciting indeed! May is just around the corner! And so good to have a lovely FC too.

Choccy being (certifiably) approved must be a great feeling! Until we get there, I'm not certain there will be a little one for us in the end. Being approved changes the question from 'if' to 'when'! Go you!

Hoping to join you and name changes in the lands of 'when' soon smile

Choccyjules Wed 30-Apr-14 10:06:38

Pru that's such great news and must feel very calming...til you think abt planning wink

Great news Pru. wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks wink smile grin thanks

namechangesforthehardstuff Wed 30-Apr-14 20:16:26

I didn't come here to say I got approved 'cos I got me own thread innit?

But it's nice to say...

And OMFG Pru! Share details? Or don't obv...

prumarth Thu 01-May-14 07:26:23

Thanks everyone! We are being matched (hopefully) with a little 'un! He is 10 months and obviously the most beautiful baby in the entire world! We are off to panel at end of May and if all goes well we could start introductions in early June! Yay! Decorating starts in earnest this weekend!!

KristinaM Thu 01-May-14 13:45:19

That's wonderful news, pru

SmokyHeart Thu 01-May-14 16:29:19

That's great news, Pru. How exciting!

prumarth Thu 01-May-14 21:47:08

Wonderful, amazing, brilliant you! I've just literally shed a tear for you - a newbie no more! Xxx

PootlewasthebestFlump Mon 05-May-14 09:35:28

All this good news! Makes me hopeful that one day we will be there!

I'm being silly, I spent all of yesterday flicking through the Argos catalogue choosing furniture and garden toys for my imaginary adopted children (age 5 and 3)...

Agonised over whether a 3 year old can have a high sleeper bed...sigh. Think I may be slightly nuts. Haven't even had the initial social worker call yet.

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Mon 05-May-14 15:06:05

Not at all silly Pootle - I bought a dress for DD after our first SW meeting. We were initially thinking of a child aged 3-4. I don't think we had even thought it would be a girl at that point. I needed to buy something. Two years later the dress is still hanging in the wardrobe waiting to be worn as we were matched with a baby smile

Furniture was bought over 6 months before DD came home. We had bought a bed - had to go and buy a cot grin. Now that's silly.

PootlewasthebestFlump Mon 05-May-14 20:14:54

Lol Rhinos! I haven't actually got round to ordering any furniture yet!!!

CloserThanYesterday Tue 06-May-14 22:40:36

Lovely news pru, must be a wonderful feeling!

pootle at least you limited yourself to the catalogue ... we actually went to kiddicare, mothercare and IKEA this bank holiday weekend. Had a gay old time folding up pushchairs and faffing around with car seats, and deciding on storage solutions for the nursery.

We're not even approved yet! We stopped short of actually buying anything big, but there are some little person sized coat hangers stashed in the cupboard, where no one can see them and have us committed ... blush

CloserThanYesterday Tue 06-May-14 22:45:19

Just seen your post Rhinos ... grin If it wasn't for ever-sensible DH holding me back I'd have a full nursery on the go I'm sure!

64x32x24 Wed 07-May-14 00:04:23

Our news is here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adoptions/2072119-Approved

So far I have resisted buying anything, but mainly because though 0-2y sounds like a very tight age range, the differences between a newborn and a walking and talking toddler are quite enormous! Doesn't stop me from perusing catalogues and shops though...

Choccyjules Wed 07-May-14 09:39:54

Have met our new SW (ours is leaving) and are ploughing emotionally and slowly through the matching process.

Wondering about going to an Activity Day soon, any experiences?

None personal Choccy but they sound fun. Just double check the children will fit your matching criteria re age.

CloserThanYesterday Wed 07-May-14 11:15:01

No experience choccy, but we've been offered the chance to go on one too.
I can just see us there, feeling awkward, and awful about the children we don't think are right.
On the other hand, I've read lots of stories where adopters find it a much more pleasant experience than they expected ... fun, even. Nothing ventured, is the way I'm feeling about it at the moment!
We'll still be a month or so away from panel at the time too, so a bit worried about getting our hopes up.

PootlewasthebestFlump Thu 08-May-14 17:56:17

Sigh. The Argos catalogue will have to wait as the LA told us today that they are not processing any new applications for 4 months + due to lack of resources and unprecedented demand (not sure if they mean interested adopters or lots of children).

Feel sorry for the children waiting but it's good more people are interested.

Begs the question, if the recent tv programmes create interest how are LAs supposed to keep up and how does this fit with the new 'speeded up' process???

64x32x24 Thu 08-May-14 20:05:25

Pootle are you set on that LA? We shopped around, were in touch with 10 or so agencies, including two VAs. Some gave us that answer too - busy at the moment, no new applications for a few months. Others wanted us to start as soon as possible!

PootlewasthebestFlump Thu 08-May-14 20:40:21

Well it seems that all 5 neighbouring LAs are joined up so it's all of them.

There are a couple of VAs though so may look into them. There's no rush of course. It just seems such a shame that they can't move things more quickly for the children.

This thread is not accepting new messages.