The Truth About Adoption (Panorama, BBC1)

(88 Posts)
hester Wed 14-Dec-11 22:05:55

Just realised I missed this! Did anyone else see it? Any good?

anyachaika Sat 17-Dec-11 20:52:09

Please be aware that the big push for adoption, which is partially financially motivated, could lead to a grater use of treatments described at http://invisibleengland2.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/first-hand-account-of-holding-therapy-in-the-uk/

anyachaika Sat 17-Dec-11 21:02:43

Please see -
invisibleengland2.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/first-hand-account-of-holding-therapy-in-the-uk/ if the above link doesn't work. Please don't turn the other way. 40 Looked After Children continue to experience this on a weekly basis.

festi Sat 17-Dec-11 21:22:20

I think what has been described in that block is abusive, however the correct use of holding therapy would not advocate such treatment. There is no indication of when this occurred, the person may be a much older adult now, unfortunatly abuse was far more widespread, I just hope this has not been experienced in this day and age. I would like to think that things have moved on and developed.

festi Sat 17-Dec-11 21:22:50

blog not block

anyachaika Sat 17-Dec-11 21:25:27

It seems that adoption is very much on the political agenda now. Martin Narey, the governments adoption advisor (formally of the Home office and Barnardo's) has called for a 50% increase in the number of adoptions. In many cases adoption appears to be the right option but there is also a real financial pressure to reduce the number of (much more expensive) foster placements by raising the age of children who are considered for adoption - many older children cannot settle in adoptive placements, often because they still identify with their birth families. There is a real danger that this trend could lead to more examples of the practices that can be seen at - invisibleengland2.wordpress.com/
Professor Edzard Ernst's exclusive interview can be seen here. Follow the blog and see the campaign progress

anyachaika Sat 17-Dec-11 21:29:46

I have personal knowledge on many levels that Holding Therapy of this kind continues to take place with the 40 children within the programme.

SallyDon Tue 20-Dec-11 09:35:53

I have mumsnet blogged about The Truth About Adoption

http://www.sallydonovan.net/2011/12/20/the-truth-about-adoption-panorama-bbc-1/

I have two adopted children and had that feeling you get when you actually know something about a subject in the news ......

Aeschylus Thu 22-Dec-11 17:53:58

Hi All, been a while, been busy with work and study!

I watched the programme and found it quite upsetting. Being early in the process I just couldn't help thinking that I would be causing that hurt to a birth parent. In reality though this is not the case - children who are placed for adoption have already had that decided for them and be it me or anyone else, they would not return to their birth parents. What is wrong is that after so much time, birth parents are still able to cause delay.

I didn't feel Connor's bm had 'severe' learning difficulties but maybe that is becuase of my own experiences of people who do. However, her judgements were questionable. Also, looking after a child from birth will not be the same as having a child with difficulties return to her. Remember the effects of being removed, fostered, placed for adoption, disruption and then going back to a foster family who he has attachments with and being removed again is not an easy situation for a child to deal with.

I also felt that after such a long time, contact with the three siblings and Claire (bm) was not necessarily a good choice although she clearly loved them and they her, telling a child that they wont see their bm again and then this being changed will only lead to further uncertainties for the child and a lack of belief in what he is told in the future (imo).

Finally, the SW needed to sort out her priorities. If a child has been abused by a male then other factors need to be considered but she seemed ready to reject a family if the man got the children ready in the morning or if the family didn't have/refused to get a dog!!!!! I appreciate their love of dogs but seriously???

kaozlady Thu 17-May-12 05:02:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 00:49:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Kewcumber Fri 26-Oct-12 15:50:05

I don't recognize information that a stranger posts in the internet unless its backed up with some evidence (that isn't forced adoptions bonkers website - ie a reputable source) FACT

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 15:58:51

sw dont steal children.there is no national target or quota for "stealing children"
and saying FACT after a whopping big lie doesnt make it a fact
hope that helps

WereTricksPotter Fri 26-Oct-12 16:12:38

thiisrealife - stop bumping threads to spout SW-hating bollocks.

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 21:48:48

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 21:50:39

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:53:48

you are posting alarmist provocative posts about SW and adoption
clearly you have a ishoos
and youre coming across a bit daft

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 21:53:53

the ss wont even let stella`s husband have the children as he is a serving solder in the army. he fights for his country but the ss take his baby

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 21:58:15

have you had access to confidential case notes,transcripts and reports
or is this het up angst gleened from google and daily mail

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 22:10:25

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:13:00

hemming is a joke,not credible
isnt he the prolific shagger with a mistress and hatred of sw
youre a very shouty preoccupied poster,a bit out there

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 22:19:19

think what you want ............... your probably a social worker or someone related to one. the facts are out there about ss its up to you if take note of them or not.
i wish i could post pics on here of social workers and caffcas workers who have been jailed for either their abuse of children or lying in the family court.

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:21:36

pictures? do go on whistle blow about these heinous workers
if you have robust substantiated evidence of bad practice you must share it with authorities
or is this an online rant and some heresay gleened.id not quote hemming as your main man either

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 22:26:25

CAFFCASS FOUND GUILTY.......PORTSMOUTH NEWS

SOCIAL WORKER LIED TO COURT ABOUT CHILDREN

CHRISTINE PURCELL MADE UP DETAILS FOR A REPORT IN PORTSMOUTH CROWN COURT

SHE PLEADED GUILTY IN COURT AND WAS JAILED FOR 12 MONTHS.

THIS WAS IN THE PAPERS OTHER CAN BE FOUND IN THE PAPERS TOO

THERE OUT THEIR FOR THE WORLD TO SEE

scottishmummy Fri 26-Oct-12 22:27:46

do stop shouting

thisisreallife Fri 26-Oct-12 22:29:34

sorry but it is not nice to call someone who is telling the truth a liar. don`t you agree ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now