Work/life balance crunch time - anyone else?

(7 Posts)
RedMapleLeaf Wed 23-Nov-16 14:01:46

I work full time, and travel away from home about two nights per week. I am doing part time research degree associated with my job and a part time course in a completely new career direction. And I'm just hitting a bit of a crunch point at the moment.
Last night Word started crashing and not saving my work. Then EndNote just screwed up and suddenly it all became a bit too like hard work smile.

Is there anyone else struggling to keep all of the plates spinning?

lurkingnonparent Thu 24-Nov-16 21:37:04

Completely. Am at two different unis both part time, am also away from home two nights a week, doing PGCHE and also supposed to be doing some other industry work as well. Every weekend is currently a work weekend and guess who will be hosting Christmas? Gah! Luckily I'm enjoying the work but I'm beyond knackered and am literally making myself ill. 3 weeks til term ends, right?

Lovelyskin Fri 25-Nov-16 17:03:16

Everyone has a virus at my work, it's one long sniffle. End of term not quite in sight, but must be coming!

RedMapleLeaf Fri 25-Nov-16 17:41:35

Well, on reflection I think that starting this thread should have been a warning shot across the bows for me. I've just had two days off sick - the first time I've been off sick in five years. It's a bit of a wake-up call that I've taken too much on. It's starting to take its toll on my health.

Struggling to see where I can find space for myself in the next three weeks but then my calendar becomes a bit more flexible. Perhaps 2017 will be the year I get my priorities right?

Viewofhedges Thu 01-Dec-16 14:59:23

Are you still alive Red Maple Leaf? I have just been to Drs for stress related palpitations! Fun! grin)

RedMapleLeaf Thu 01-Dec-16 19:37:30

Alive and kicking smile but the same cannot be said for my thesis that is being dragged along!

How are you feeling now? What advice did the doctor give?

lurkingnonparent Fri 02-Dec-16 08:43:10

He thinks I should have a rest at Christmas. So do I smile! Good luck with your thesis. I have only just started lecturing and haven't had the time to even begin to think about research etc - maybe next year! Good luck reaching the end of term. 2 weeks to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now