Bullying and extreme pressure at work

(4 Posts)
mumsnit Wed 14-Sep-16 18:58:06

I'm not an academic but work in HE in a professional faculty facing role. Over the last few years the pressure and expectations have increased to the point where I can't do the job effectively any more as I'm so stretched.

I have a manager who has recently started to criticise everything I'm doing and says I'm not putting enough effort into my work. I literally can't do anything more but worry that her constant criticism will lead other colleagues to think I can't do the job. I do have the support of my direct line manager but the environment is competitive and there is a definite feeling that you either cope or leave!

Would love to hear how you all manage with this level of stress as I know that HE is a very pressured environment wherever you're working...

Bountybarsyuk Thu 15-Sep-16 12:30:53

Can you do a sideways move to another department? I would be looking to move, as it's unlikely this bigger boss will move, and there's often a lot of internal transferring and movement at admin level in unis. I think that's your best bet. You also have the support of your line manager which is important. Obviously don't phrase it as 'I'd like to move as X is mean and too demanding', just identify what you'd like to develop/work on and look for an role transfer.

mumsnit Thu 15-Sep-16 15:46:31

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is something I've been thinking about but maybe not actively searching for opportunities as yet. I will start to look at my options. Such a shame as I love the job itself because I get a lot of student contact.

nolly3 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:01:47

Keep a note of everything, seek advice from Union, and make a formal complaint- if you decide it's worth it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now