Academics who don't (or do) live near work

(4 Posts)
Ifnotherethenwhere Wed 06-Jul-16 12:31:08

I'm struggling with a work vs. life decision about where to live at the moment. Is it worth suffering a horrible commute to live somewhere we really love? Or should we accept fate and move near my uni, even though we don't want to live there?

The complication is I don't love my institution and I'm keen to get a post elsewhere. I've been shortlisted for jobs twice in the past couple of years, but haven't made the final cut. This is really impacting my decision about where to live. Do we move where we want to live and bank on me getting a new job at some point in the foreseeable future and accept that meanwhile I'll have a horrible commute and not see the kids (they're very little) much during the week? Or do we move, possibly short-term, closer to my job, accepting that if I get a new job we'll move again and have the complication of moving DC's childcare/ schools.

DH and I have been going round and round on this for so long now we can't see the wood for the trees. Help!

GemmaB78 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:36:30

My DF is an academic and we moved this year to a place I REALLY don't like for the role. It's taken such a long time to get the position that it would have been stupid not to. The agreement we made was that as, like most academic roles, it's fixed term rather than permanent, we would move but we (probably) won't settle here long term.

Realistically, how long do you think it would take to find a new post? If you think it won't take long, I'd suck up the commute
But then I hate moving!

Interested to know which institution you are currently at. DF has just applied for a permanent lectureship, and I hope it's not the same place!

GemmaB78 Wed 06-Jul-16 13:13:32

Also, generally academic jobs can be flexible. Would you be able to work at home on the days you don't NEED to be on campus?

PippaFawcett Wed 06-Jul-16 13:15:43

How long is the commute? And would the place you want to live be easy to commute to other institutions from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now