Easiest referencing software/website for Harvard style?

(13 Posts)
zabuzabu Sun 03-Jul-16 15:44:36

Ideally I am imagining something free, reliable, and even something where I can upload a PDF to and it will magically work out the details and auto-populate the required fields for me. Does such a website exist?

Bonus points if it can somehow magically link up with Scrivener, which I have found to be very useful indeed in organising my dissertation thoughts!

Sofabitch Sun 03-Jul-16 20:50:37

I use mendeley www.mendeley.com/

Sofabitch Sun 03-Jul-16 20:51:09

Not sure about pdfs but its pretty amazing.

OurBlanche Sun 03-Jul-16 20:57:38

www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/

But I think you are asking for a gift of unicorn poo!

CityDweller Mon 04-Jul-16 10:34:52

I spent a loooong time procrastinating researching this last year. I always used to use Zotero (free) and found it good. But my needs changed (wanted something where I could annotate PDFs and that would work with Scrivener). I ended up switching to Bookends.

lljkk Mon 04-Jul-16 23:47:40

Latek...?

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sun 17-Jul-16 11:38:25

Sofa Thanks for the tip! I've always been a bit of a naysayer when it comes to citation software, but I've been playing around with Mendeley for the past 24 hours and it does exactly what I want it to do and seems quite user friendly.

TheWindInThePillows Mon 18-Jul-16 09:31:29

I also use Mendeley, because it has a cloud version where everything is stored and a desktop version that synchs, so you always have your references and they won't get lost, can save directly from papers/abstracts/databases, easy to reformat.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Mon 18-Jul-16 10:27:49

The ability to annotate and highlight pap era looks really useful too. It should save a few tress and a fortune in printing cos.

familyfarm Mon 18-Jul-16 16:09:50

Mendeley is what you need.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Tue 19-Jul-16 00:47:19

Now I've fully embraced the 21st century. I have a query about Scrivener. I've heard a lot about it, but am unsure what it does and how it can help. Anyone more clued up than me, please explain it in the most simple terms imaginable!

WilfSell Fri 22-Jul-16 18:56:21

zotero does much of what Mendeley does and is free. I think you can now store and possibly annotate pdfs too but haven't used that. It collates all the ref info you need, then you can export bibliography info to Word etc in different styles.

snorepatrol Fri 22-Jul-16 18:58:44

Cite me! Best site ever!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now