PhD student heading for a fail...

(7 Posts)
MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 18:27:59

that's all.

well, not quite. Massive language barrier, which never improved despite remedial action. Lack of critical depth and ability to defend one's thesis. Many mock vivas and seminars that have not helped.

Am pissed off with the system, because she managed to escape negative assessment every time at panel review - because of circumstances, and idiotic assessors who deemed her of sufficient level to move forward.

very sad.

lougle Fri 08-Jan-16 18:41:57

Well she hasn't failed until she fails, has she? Can't you tell her of your concerns?

ByThePrickingOfMyThumbs Fri 08-Jan-16 18:50:04

Are you her supervisor? Is she aware of your serious concerns?

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 18:50:29

She knows full well my concerns and that of others, and has not acted on any of the very specific feedback she received last time round. [I wish I could be more specific, however this is not quite on OTBT.... but yeah, as a (quite experienced) supervisor, I do supervise the students to the best of my abilities, with full feedback etc. Truth is, you cannot get people out that easily once they've passed the 1st year. Anyhow...]

Being objective - if I was the examiner, based on her performance present and past, I would fail her with no hesitation. But yes, you are right; she may pass. After all, the system is so fair...

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 18:51:35

sorry if I come across all sarky. I am already pissed off after one week back at the mine... I was even caught talking about the "good old times" - I am not even that old!!!

lougle Fri 08-Jan-16 19:13:56

Is this the same student whose government are funding the PhD and whose supervisors aren't the same supervisors she started with?

MarasmeAbsolu Fri 08-Jan-16 19:30:03

mmm... not sure which one you are talking about... but the story fits!!!

On a studentship from her government, different supervisory team now than at the start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now