Academic CV for PhD

(5 Posts)
mmmminx Tue 17-Nov-15 12:20:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DishPig Tue 17-Nov-15 12:47:00

Hi minx,
Generally you'd want to include your current and previous positions, degrees (dates, institutions), dissertation titles and supervisors if you've had to do one for your undergrad or MA (and classification if given). I reckon courses or workshop attendance could be included if relevant to your research area (but I'd limit your list of these), membership of committees etc if you are involved in anything like that.

It's not uncommon to include a statement of the type of research you are interested in conducting and why this is an area of interest. So you could put that in, usually at the start.

Remember, your supervisor does not expect you to be some research power house yet, so don't stress if you haven't got a heap of papers etc. that is for you to do in the PhD. Plus it sounds like you have plenty of real world experience which is very useful when doing a PhD!

Best of luck!

mmmminx Tue 17-Nov-15 12:47:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Qwertybynature Tue 17-Nov-15 13:04:16

There's some good examples on jobs.ac.uk

Good luck

MultishirkingAgain Tue 17-Nov-15 13:41:04

In addition to the above, I'd want details of your BA, with marks for individual modules on topics relevant to your PhD proposal, not just your overall degree classification, plus the title & a couple of sentences about your UG dissertation (and what mark it received as that's a good guide in my field) and ditto for your MA, and an outline of your thesis topic (a paragraph or so). I'd be looking for how likely it is you'll be capable of the big step up from MA to PhD - not many people are, or will need a lot of very directive supervision at first.

I'm increasingly careful about who I'll take on because increasingly graduates have no idea what "independent" means, and they don't have the background reading - or have read very little. So you need to show that you've got some idea of what the step-change to doctoral studies involves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now