Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

how did you cut your babies hair for the first time?

(41 Posts)
fluffywhiterabbit Thu 04-Sep-14 10:08:17

did you do it yourself or go to the hair dressers

how old was baby

did you or they use scissors or clippers?

MrsKoala Thu 04-Sep-14 10:10:58

DS is 2 next week and i still haven't blush i can't bring myself to get rid of his baby curls sad

Pyrrhagena Thu 04-Sep-14 10:11:29

In the bath. Wet hair, comb and scissors. He was, and still is, scared of clippers.

originalusernamefail Thu 04-Sep-14 10:14:19

DS was 9 months blush. In my defence he was starting to look a bit like cousin IT and couldn't see where he was going ( no curls for me sad). We went to the barbers and he sat in his carrier on my knee. I got the barber to start at the front so it was out of his eyes and stop when DS had had enough. He now has a charming little mullet so will have to go again soon.

fluffywhiterabbit Thu 04-Sep-14 10:14:59

do baby curls grow back?

scarletforya Thu 04-Sep-14 10:17:05

Why would you cut it? confused

I have never cut dd's hair and never plan to!

Ohbollocksandballs Thu 04-Sep-14 10:19:46

DS is nearly 8 months and seriously needs his hair cutting. He sported a comb over for a while but now even that isn't working.

Rather bored of people asking how old 'she' is.

Artandco Thu 04-Sep-14 10:24:53

About 18 months for both ds's. Just a tidy up at hairdressers, nothing drastic as I prefer boys hair slightly long

They still just get a trim so no split ends but keep the length

TalcumPowder Thu 04-Sep-14 10:30:05

I think he was under one, because he's always had a thick mop - not fluffy baby curls - and it was getting in his eyes, and my first efforts with the scissors were conspicuously not successful. He sat on my knee at the local salon, and I read him his favourite picture book and let him play with some rollers.

It was just a gentle trim. I really don't like little boys looking like buzz-cut Marines. Plus he has gorgeous thick. corn-coloured hair.

AndThisIsTrue Thu 04-Sep-14 10:33:27

Just before he turned one. He sat on my knee at the hairdressers and they used scissors. It's not really short but just out of his eyes, I'm not keen on boy's with long hair. He is getting his 4th haircut this afternoon at 17months.

OrangeTart Thu 04-Sep-14 10:37:18

Both of mine when their hair covered their eyes I took them to the hairdressers for a trim.
DS was about 10months, he sat on my lap while she did it with scissors. He still has it cut with scissors I don't like the clippered short look so he has an old fashioned short back and sides. He is 8.

DDs hair grew slower she was about 2 and a half when she first went to the hairdressers and she has it kept at just below her shoulders with long layers as it grew in.

They both have haircuts every 6 to 8 weeks and I would never do it myself.

mumofboyo Thu 04-Sep-14 10:39:36

I can't remember how old ds was; around 9 months perhaps. My mum cut it first, without being asked, and made it look a right mess angry so we had to take him to the barber's. She said it was too long and "tickling his ears" and then crowed that she made us take him for his hair cut.

Dd was 8ish months I think. I did it myself. Recently she's been to the hairdressers and last night I had to cut it again. She has a habit of twiddling it around her finger and tying it into knots that I struggle to get out so have to keep it short.

CaptChaos Thu 04-Sep-14 10:46:20

I didn't, my 'd'M did. Apparently curls on boys make them look gay hmm

I think she did it with scissors.

My DS is 18 months and I have trimmed his hair myself a few times. He has curly hair. I tend to snip at it when I get the opportunity, but it looks nice in my opinion. smile

SureFootedWhispher Thu 04-Sep-14 10:49:50

DD is 2.8 and still doesn't have hair past the nap of her neck, so I haven't.

LittleBearPad Thu 04-Sep-14 10:50:20

I trimmed her fringe with scissors as it was getting in her eyes. The second attempt wasn't good so since then we've gone to a hairdressers with peppa on DVD.

I have never cut dd's hair and never plan to!

I'm guessing she's pretty young. Sooner or later you will.

threepiecesuite Thu 04-Sep-14 10:51:33

At the hairdressers, sitting up in pushchair. She was 5 months old, it was in her eyes and past her collar.

wigglesrock Thu 04-Sep-14 10:52:48

Hairdressers from the word go, dd1 was about 9 months (she had wild hair), dd2 and dd3 from about 18 months. I keep their hair in short fringed bobs until they can look after it themselves if they want to grow it, so they are at the hairdressers quite regularly.

lisbapalea Thu 04-Sep-14 10:53:49

I did it when DD1 was about a year - she was eating a yogurt and her fringe was getting in the way so I just grabbed some kitchen scissors and snipped away while she was distracted by food!

It was remarkably straight really but I think if I had given it more thought I would have cocked it right up.

middlings Thu 04-Sep-14 10:56:46

15 mos when she could no longer see where she was going. And I didn't do it myself - I took her to one of those ridiculous children's hairdressers.

We now go to the local barber's where a lovely lady cuts her fringe almost straight, trims up the rest of it and charges me a fiver.

At just over a year old I attempted to cut it with scissors, awful wonky bowl cut, next day tried to neaten it up, awful short wonky bowl cut with no sideburns next day attempted to straighten it and he looked so bad Dh took to him with the clippers, now he has a no4 all over same as daddy every couple of months. He did have it cut properly by a hairdresser a couple of times but he didn't like her so I just do it in the kitchen with te clippers now.

I know he's mine and he's gorgeous and there's no way I could possibly ever not think he's the most beautiful child in te world but oh my god he looked a twat! He looks embarrassed in all the photos, the harder I tried to fix it the worse it got.

fluffywhiterabbit Thu 04-Sep-14 12:17:19

i love love to see some of these photos!!

After the first try

murmuration Thu 04-Sep-14 12:49:15

Thanks for question, OP! I'd been thinking of posting something similar.

DD is 29mo, and she needs a haircut -- hair is so curly it isn't in her eyes yet, but the last ~2in are clearly a different kind of hair and keep getting matted and tangled. So I think we'll trim it off. Maybe this weekend.

My plan is to have a bath and wash/comb like normal, like hope DH can distract her so I can trim. I trim DH's hair, so have a pair of scissors we use only for cutting hair. They are very sharp.

murmuration Thu 04-Sep-14 12:49:44

then hope

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now