Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you were going to read a story to a class of 6yr olds, which book would you choose?

(81 Posts)
Shhthebabyisasleep Thu 04-Sep-14 08:09:56

I am very excited. I have been asked to be the 'secret reader' for my son's class. I am going to go in a read a story. They are all 6 going on 7.

I am going to choose a picture book, not a chapter book.

I was thinking Snail and the Whale? Too well known? But children like what they know...

What would you choose to read?

NinePeedles Thu 04-Sep-14 08:15:22

I would read "The Three little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig".
Perfect for that age group.
Enjoy!

mumofboyo Thu 04-Sep-14 08:17:04

I like the Winnie the Witch books. Or some by Dr. Seuss - Green Eggs and Ham always seems to raise a laugh!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Sep-14 08:19:48

I love the Snail and the Whale - its a beautiful story to read aloud.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 04-Sep-14 08:20:12

is the snail and the whale not a bit young? What about The Enormous Crocodile or something along those lines?

AnimalsAreMyFriends Thu 04-Sep-14 08:22:14

Little Rabbit Foo Foo is an absolute favourite for reading aloud. Or, how about "My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes" Less well known, but children love to join in with the rhymes. Also "Dragon in a Wagon" is fab for that age.

Have a lovely time!!

I came across this book at the weekend and think it's just lovely Where Is Lonely

It also raises lots of discussion points in a non judgemental and easy to understand way.

Theas18 Thu 04-Sep-14 08:32:57

Hairy Mclary from Donaldsons Dairy - or any of the series. The names are just so fantastic and they should join in the "chorus" bits.

Bin50 Thu 04-Sep-14 08:38:47

I vote for the Hairy McLary books too. Fun stories and the ryhme and repetition make them very engaging. My nieces loved them.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Sep-14 08:40:22

I love the Hairy Maclary books too but theyare so short! or they always seem short why I pick them for bedtime

atticusclaw Thu 04-Sep-14 08:43:53

As the mother of an only just seven year old I would say all those books are very young for 6/7 year olds. DS2 has just finished The Long Way Home (Michael Morpurgo) and in school last year the teacher was reading them the Butterfly Lion (which he'd also read at home).

The Enormous Crocodile would be far more age appropriate.

thegreylady Thu 04-Sep-14 09:00:30

My 7 year old dgs enjoyed The Giraffe The Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl. I think they are a bit past picture books by then but if you really want one (and I can see why you would) I would recommend something like The Runaway Dinner for the humour in the language or possibly Street Cat Bob or Tom Crean's Rabbit.

LittleMisslikestobebythesea Thu 04-Sep-14 09:10:22

Is this year 2 then (my youngest is that age).

He loves aliens love underpants books, anything that's a bit silly or funny is a favourite!

AnnOnymity Thu 04-Sep-14 09:14:58

I think most of these ideas are great for slightly younger children but a bit babyish for y2s.

I'd pick The Twits, one of the Lighthouse Keeper stories, or a Dr Suess.

Shhthebabyisasleep Thu 04-Sep-14 09:15:02

Some lovely suggestions here, thank you.

Am quite surprised by people saying these books are too young. I'm 35 and I adore The Snail and the Whale. My 8 yr old is reading Harry Potter to herself but still snuggles in to enjoy the story when I read picture books to the little ones.

I think 6/7 year olds would still enjoy books like The Snail and The Whale, and I think the environmental issues would be interesting to discuss/point out with them.

I agree, OP. It's a nice poem, not just a picture book.

MsAstronaut Thu 04-Sep-14 09:23:43

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Stieg. My fave children's book and it blew my mind as a child. The hero turns himself into a rock and can't turn himself back. (Happy ending though!)

(Only if you are hard as nails and won't start crying!)

StillWishihadabs Thu 04-Sep-14 09:31:07

Dd has just finished year 2. Snail and whale is far too young. She has enjoyed the worst witch books, Roald Dahl (bfg, Charlie and the chocolate factory, twits etc) In terms of being read to she likes Harry potter, Narnia and the wind in the willows.

StillWishihadabs Thu 04-Sep-14 09:33:46

I am afraid even a year ago, she would have felt patronised by being read the snail and the Whale, she reads it to her 2year old cousin!

atticusclaw Thu 04-Sep-14 09:39:44

Honestly, you might have a couple of children who are still engaged but lots who think its very babyish (plus it will take you all of 2 minutes). They will also have read the book themselves when little so will hardly be craning to see the pictures.

Last year when DS2 was in year 2 DH read the Hobbit to him.

How about the first part of an Atticus Claw book. DS2 loves these. Or how about Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh?

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Book is maybe ok if you still wanted a picture book.

Shhthebabyisasleep Thu 04-Sep-14 09:43:34

Oh I think that's rather sad. The 7 yr olds I know have plenty of room in their lives for chapter books AND picture books. I have lovely chats with my 7yr old about his picture books, the art, the story, the rhymes, the other titles by the same author or illustrator. And he enjoys being read Roald Dahl and Just So Stories too.

However, I feel a bit in the minority so I shall ask the teacher for her advice and see what she says. I don't want to patronise a room full of children!

Clawdy Thu 04-Sep-14 09:45:00

Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne. You'll have fun doing the different voices and there's lots to discuss with them afterwards.

erin99 Thu 04-Sep-14 09:47:11

RD's The Enormous crocodile. Or along the 'my cat likes to hide in boxes' theme, how about an illustrated copy of TS Eliot's cat poems (the ones in Cats - macavity, mr mistofelees etc), or a chapter of Winnie the Pooh?

StillWishihadabs Thu 04-Sep-14 09:48:36

Roald Dahl books have illustrations ! As does the worst Witch. I think dd is getting the age where the pictures are in her head IYsWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now