Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Im a twat.

(22 Posts)
TonyThePony Wed 03-Sep-14 23:51:54

I post about spiders quite a lot.

I'm terrified of them, I basically freeze, cry and sweat when I see one.

Now... There's a lot of talk about spider season and pictures on facebook of house spiders people have caught.

They really are huge.

I'm getting panicky. Like I don't want to sleep in case I wake up with one in my bed.

I almost just cried when I saw a picture. I'm such a wimp!

I know I'm utterly pathetic but what do I do to get over this??

PivotPIVOT Wed 03-Sep-14 23:55:38

I'm not going to be much help but just wanted to come and join you in twattishness smile

I'm terrified too. I've been shaking the covers out before I get in bed and keeping my feet up on the sofa just in case! People laugh but it's so debilitating at this time of year.

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Wed 03-Sep-14 23:59:11

I'm in your club

My twattishness is beyond compair

I'm shitting myself sad

notnowImreading Thu 04-Sep-14 00:02:07

The September spiders are garden spiders, not house spiders. Go to bed!

TonyThePony Thu 04-Sep-14 00:02:54

Well it's nice to not be alone....

How long does spider season last?

I keep looking around and turning the light on and off to see if there's any about.

sad < twatty emoticon >

TonyThePony Thu 04-Sep-14 00:05:30

Also.... Is there a way to just hide all threads with a certain topic (spiders)? I can't even handle seeing people writing about them. The thread titles freak me out without even reading the threads.

Maybe I should just live in one of them Ebola bubbles in London.

fackinell Thu 04-Sep-14 00:06:06

An absolutely huge one ran under my sofa a couple of weeks ago, it was lurking under the cat's bed. Still not found it. We don't tend to have the big spider season that down South has around Halloween but we have had loads all through summer. I bought a lovely garden set and barely used it as 'others' were using it!! confused

BOFster Thu 04-Sep-14 00:07:06

Yy to September being about garden spiders. They are busy outside, among nature. You won't be bothered indoors by that lot, honestly.

CuttedUpPear Thu 04-Sep-14 00:08:45

Hoover, hoover hoover.
With the thin nozzle on.
Suck em up, get the egg sacs too.

They DO NOT come back out again, I've been doing it for years.

Bogeyface Thu 04-Sep-14 00:11:12

They DO NOT come back out again, I've been doing it for years.

Not being pedantic but.... if they dont come back, how come you have been doing it for years?! confused grin

Bogeyface Thu 04-Sep-14 00:12:27

Sorry, you mean out of the hoover dont you? Not that the spiders never come back....sorry, what a dumbass!

Its been a long day! grin

Bogeyface Thu 04-Sep-14 00:13:17

However......what if the eggs hatch in the hoover? Then you have a hoover full of baby spiders surely?

BOFster Thu 04-Sep-14 00:25:48

Nah, the trauma kills them. And you can always get someone else to empty the hoover miles away into a sealed bag.

pippahooper Thu 04-Sep-14 00:30:02

I second the hoover method. I found a huge one the other night. I had to compose myself before I went back in the room to deal with him x

CuttedUpPear Thu 04-Sep-14 01:04:02

I love hoovering them off the ceilings.
Change the bag regularly, no reoccurrence.

Until next season. ..

fackinell Thu 04-Sep-14 03:38:41

I can't bring myself to kill them, they do good things for the environment. I just want them to do good things far away from me.

Frogisatwat Thu 04-Sep-14 03:46:12

Cup and postcard! And a flight from the window/front door.
I actually showered with one the other day (as in he was in the bath with me I didn't use it to lather up )

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Thu 04-Sep-14 04:36:10

I have a spray from Lakeland that you spray around doors and windows. The spiders hate the smell so don't come in. It has lowered the number of spiders we find in the house.

Thumbwitch Thu 04-Sep-14 04:48:50

Have you considered trying hypnotherapy for your arachnophobia? It can be very successful.
It won't mean you become best friends with spiders but it should eliminate some of your more extreme behaviours when faced with them.

ftmsoon Thu 04-Sep-14 07:27:10

Have you tried NLP? I found 'Using your brain for a change' by Richard Bandler really helped me with my fear of dogs. It's also a cheap thing to try initially, only the cost of the book and I believe Paul McKenna's methods are based on NLP.

I was getting the washing off the line and a great big fucker went down my top. I ran round the garden stripping. DS was stood watching going hmm he is 5 and loves mini beasts. He tried to stick the legs back on a daddy long legs the other morning. Talking to it explaining everything he was doing it didn't end well, the closing statement was something like, "oh, now you only have 1 leg Daddy long legs, now you really won't walk, silly daddy long legs..." or words to that effect, so me running around screaming means I am probably a big disappointment grin

Itsfab Thu 04-Sep-14 08:00:04

Contact the Speakmans. They cured someone with a huge phobia that meant her husband had to check all her clothes before she dressed as one had been on her outfit and iirc she couldn't be involved in their stables. She is now cured and tbh just watching the programme has helped me a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now