Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you let your under 12s watch 12 movies?

(211 Posts)
JanaOfTheJungle Wed 03-Sep-14 20:55:56

My 9 yo son is convinced that all his friends watch 12s. Speaking to some parents and they seem quite easy about it. I am not. I haven't let him watch Spiderman and only just let him watch Jurassic Park (which is only PG but a bit scary I think). He has seen Star Wars 3, that is it. I also read parents guides to all sorts of movies. I won't take him to see Guardians of the Galaxy either.

Anyway. What do you do?

EatShitDerek Wed 03-Sep-14 21:00:32

My 4 year old does as he likes Spiderman, Thor, Man of Steel, Wolverine, XMen etc and they are all 12s

Yama Wed 03-Sep-14 21:02:54

Yes, as long as either dh and I are watching with them.

I sometimes check the parental bit on imdb to find out why a film was certified a 12.

Herecomesthesciencebint Wed 03-Sep-14 21:04:03

No I don't.

I actually find that IMHO the gradings are often too lenient and the content isn't even suitable for 12 year olds or whatever.
My eldest is 9 and had only ever seen U or PG. I would not be swayed on this as I feel adult level material is really damaging for kids- violence is my main concern more than sex or language.
ESD I'm really shocked you let your four year old watch movies aimed at 12s tbh.

wigglesrock Wed 03-Sep-14 21:04:51

Yes, my 9 and 6 year old daughters have seen all the Harry Potter films, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park and the Guardians of the Galaxy film.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 03-Sep-14 21:05:18

Some yes.
Others no.

Really really depends on the content.

atticusclaw Wed 03-Sep-14 21:05:26

No, mine are seven and nine. I suppose I might let Ds1 when he's 11 depending on the movie.

ESD I'm afraid I'm also quite shocked. All kids like Spider-Man, that doesn't mean you should let him watch a 12 certificate movie.

EatShitDerek Wed 03-Sep-14 21:06:29

Well its Spiderman and other superhero films. I dont see the big issue.

The 12 rating is only there for the tiny bit of violence like Spidermans web and the kiss. Its nothing

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 03-Sep-14 21:08:00

Jack the giant slayer, Harry Potters, jurassic park, primeval all watched here by 8 year old up.

exexpat Wed 03-Sep-14 21:08:04

Yes. Isn't the rating 12A, so OK for under-12s to watch with adult permission/supervision? A lot of the Harry Potter films are 12As, and I let my DCs watch them as soon as they had read the books, which was age 7/8. DD is 11 and her favourite shows are things like Glee and Modern Family, which are mostly 12-rated.

I have to say I don't know anyone who bans under 12s from 12A films on principle, only some who know their DCs are particularly sensitive or scared by particular types of character or plot.

FatherSpodoKomodo Wed 03-Sep-14 21:08:47

Yes, because at the cinema they were 12A which means they can go with an adult. Some films I've watched first to check they are suitable, others are ok.

Mind you, I let mine watch The Mummy from about the age of 6 or 7 when it was on TV, then noticed the DVDs were a 15 in the shop! I assume they cut bits as it was on early evening.

AuntieStella Wed 03-Sep-14 21:10:21

My PFB was carefully kept from all 12s, other than Star Wars, until 10/11 (top year from primary).

My youngest was thrown to the Wolverines from an early age.

StickEmUpYourShnozz Wed 03-Sep-14 21:13:54

Hahaha i was shown poltergeist at 9 by my parents.
Loved it. I still love it.

StickEmUpYourShnozz Wed 03-Sep-14 21:15:01

Its about the kid isnt it?
I was okay but i know some wimpy ones who cried at charlie and the choc factory.

Kleptronic Wed 03-Sep-14 21:15:15

My 10 year old gets to see 12As with me.

loudarts Wed 03-Sep-14 21:16:21

Mine have seen the Harry potter's, star wars and Spiderman.

atticusclaw Wed 03-Sep-14 21:16:36

I just don't get why.

My Ds1 would love to watch some of those movies, of course he would, and there are plenty of his school friends who have seen them. But there are so many movies he can watch that are age appropriate and don't contain adult language or violence. There's no reason to rush them into these things.

Snatchoo Wed 03-Sep-14 21:17:03

Yes. I let my 5 year olds watch the likes of Spiderman etc. The 2 year old as well.

I have seen these films before though.

IMO, Jurassic Park is VERY scary and is only a PG!

noideawottoget Wed 03-Sep-14 21:18:08

yes i do, although i do watch it myself first to check it wont frighten them. they are 9 and 8 and have happily watched the spiderman films, avatar, the day after tomorrow and other 12 rated films. i wouldnt let them watch woman in black though, i took ds1 to watch that at the cinema when he was 14, he is a big tough lad and it made him jump a few times

Bumply Wed 03-Sep-14 21:18:54

Depends on the type of film.
I wasn't too bothered if the movie was clearly set in a make believe world - super hero/lord of the rings type films.
Some like Hunger Games and James Bond I didn't take the boys until they were 10+.
Also depends on your child. If they find that a particular type of film scary then there's no point in taking them to watch it.

Boysandme Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:13

Some yes but only after I've checked the detailed rating on bbfc (they have a great app) which details exactly what swearing/potentially dodgy scenes are in the film.

Contrary to an earlier poster, I don't mind a bit of violence or swearing (as most 10yos know the language anyway) but I'm more worried about sex and drugs.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:24

Its not rushing them into it if its their choice and you judge them able to digest it.

Purplehulk Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:43

I don't let mine watch them, and too be honest I'll stick with this because what are they actually missing out on? The film will still be there when they reach the appropriate age.
In the mean time, my 11 yo is really excited about turning 12 and is planning a marathon of the remaining Harry Potters.

Boysandme Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:45

My youngest is 10.5 I should add.

pointythings Wed 03-Sep-14 21:21:52

Yes, but only recently - DD2 is 11. I do think it depends on the child though, if you think they'll have nightmares then it just isn't a good idea.

DH and I usually vet things first - we all went to see X-Men Days of Future Past in the cinema because DDs had been fine with the other X-Men films at home.

I don't believe in blanket age restrictions, I believe in the application of parental common sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now