Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what would happen in your work place if someone flouted the dress code on a daily basis?

(47 Posts)
susannahmoodie Wed 03-Sep-14 20:10:02

Just that really.

A member of senior management stood up on Monday and reiterated dress code which stipulates no visible tattoos.

Head of a key department has two visible tattoos on show the whole time.

Nothing is said.

Whats the point in the dress code then?? What would happen elsewhere?

googoodolly Wed 03-Sep-14 20:15:01

Nothing. Our department has rules re. piercings - how many you're allowed/how big the jewellery is etc. It's flouted everyday. Unless you're wearing massive silver hoops or have gauges or get your forehead pierced, nobody says anything.

CorporateRockWhore Wed 03-Sep-14 20:20:06

Nothing. I love my jeans.

No visible tattoos is a stupid rule which could preclude you from hiring really good people. IMO.

Velocirapture Wed 03-Sep-14 20:27:07

Nothing in our department. In a clinical area prohibited jewellery would be addressed immediately.

You'd have to be really scruffy where I worl

mummypig14 Wed 03-Sep-14 20:28:19

We keep having reminders in weekly meetings that are clearly aimed at a certain person. Nothing more has happend yet though...

OrangeTart Wed 03-Sep-14 20:30:43

Very similar at our place. Talk also said no denim of any colour.
2 members of a particular 'team' constantly in jeans, vests, slogan tees and tattoos on show. Nothing is ever done.

redexpat Wed 03-Sep-14 20:50:12

Blimey I worked at Boots and someone got an official warning for wearing the wrong colour tights for ONE DAY.

Muddledandunsure Wed 03-Sep-14 21:02:50

If anyone flouts the dress code in my work place they get pulled up on it immediately and then are made to rectify it. It does t happen much, mainly new staff who try and see how far they can push it.

Mintyy Wed 03-Sep-14 21:05:28

Heh heh at the idea of dress code. Oh, how I love being self employed.

Beingblonde Wed 03-Sep-14 21:12:48

Women are banned from wearing trousers where I work angry

katienana Wed 03-Sep-14 21:15:44

HR would have a word. happened to a colleague who refused to wear a tie, wore black jeans instead of trousers etc.

Fluffyears Wed 03-Sep-14 21:16:33

We get a polite e-mail stating standards have slipped and the dress code attached. Managers speak to specific individuals to point out why they are contravening dress code and ask that it be rectified.

flightywoman Wed 03-Sep-14 21:27:58

Depends on which bit they're in. I work for a fire service so if they're uniformed firefighters there are strict standards about jewellery and facial hair and all sorts of things - for safety reasons, all understandable. And it gets taken fairly seriously and enforced.

BUT we also have separate dress codes for non-uniformed staff (like me!) who are employed on totally different contractual Ts and Cs. And that does get enforced fairly strongly if one's manager is uniformed, but is hardly addressed if one's manager is non-uniformed. There are two people who wear black jeans regularly and apparently have never been spoken to about it as they continue to do so, whereas if I were to do that my manager would probably 'have a word'.

One rule for one etc etc...

RedSoloCup Wed 03-Sep-14 21:30:39

We have a uniform but still it gets flounted, I think it looks awful when someone wears jeans / leggings instead of black trousers (on them not the company).

BehindHerSmile Wed 03-Sep-14 21:31:56

A couple of years ago I wore a skirt where the split was too high apparently - it was also dress down Friday. Instead of giving me a warning they sent me home to change. Which would have been fine if it didn't take me an hour to drive home!

- Instead I went shopping and bought myself new jeans and my pay didn't even get docked.

grumblepuss Wed 03-Sep-14 21:32:50

Erm... Nothing we're grown ups and are treated as such.
We know what's appropriate and where.
If I'm in my office pretty much anything goes (but I wouldn't rock up in a vest and hotpants), if I'm elsewhere - in meetings or at HQ I know jeans and converse isn't the right thing to wear.

I can't believe anyone who is old enough and responsible enough to be employed needs telling what to wear?

BehindHerSmile Wed 03-Sep-14 21:33:09

I should have said this was in offices that were in the middle of no where. A customer or client never came there hmm

Goldenhikingboots Wed 03-Sep-14 21:33:21

We didn't have a dress code at one of my places of work until I worked there blush I went for the interview in the suit I had to wear and was provided by my then current workplace.

I had been nursing for five years and then worked with a suit provided for years.

My misdemeanours included
Hiking boots
Jeans
Gold ballroom dancing shoes
Long skirt with kangaroo style pouch
Camouflage skirt
Bed socks
Knee high socks with skirts

I have never been bothered by fashion, I received a bonus for every year I worked there bar one. No one ever managed that many bonuses apart from me. I'm not some kind of rebel I just don't have fashion sense. My naturally beautifully groomed colleague on the next desk loved my bed socks.

HeyKu Wed 03-Sep-14 21:54:07

I got a verbal public flogging from a checkout manager as a teen..for wearing some dark purple bedsocks with regulation trousers and black shoes because it was sub zero outside and I was also always situated by the door. you couldn't even see them when I was sitting at the checkout and I doubt the customers would've given 2 shits if they caught a glimpse. was my first job and I was mortified...they regularly sent people upstairs to HR for wearing a black cardigan instead of the branded jumper etc but you only got 1 so it was unfair on full timers

SourSweets Wed 03-Sep-14 21:55:11

At my first full time job out of uni I dressed appallingly. I'm actually embarrassed to think about it now. (Very short skirts, high heels, going out dresses etc for a very creative installing-displays-up-ladders sort of job.)

Nothing at all happened until my appraisal 3 months after I started. My lovely manager simply said he wanted people to "take me seriously" and that sorted it.

HeyKu Wed 03-Sep-14 21:58:07

Haha, Golden snap with the bedsocks, they should be permitted in every workplace as productivity would increase tenfold, so comfy and warm!

ememem84 Wed 03-Sep-14 22:23:04

Same at my place. We're expected to be smart business casual. I've never flaunted the rules as such - no strappy tops, skirts appropriate length no visible tattoos, midriff covered etc. but there are a few repeat offenders. Who never seem to learn.

TalcumPowder Wed 03-Sep-14 22:26:22

Nothing. I'm an academic. We're expected to wear random collections of garments decorated with food stains and hundred-year-old dust from bookshelves, and accessorised with bed/mad professor hair.

The HT at my school mumbled something about 'dress code' on inset day. Everyone instantly thought of the two female teachers with skirts more suitable for a nightclub who never seem to wear any tights. Really not appropriate in a secondary school full of horny adolescents. No one ever says anything directly to them, though. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now