Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone tried the toothpaste that renews your enamel?

(44 Posts)
wooldonor Wed 03-Sep-14 19:40:55

I saw this in Boots yesterday, it's not cheap but I would buy it if actually does renew the enamel on your teeth.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

www.boots.com/en/Regenerate-Enamel-Science-Advanced-Toothpaste_1486971/

ArtDecoGirly Wed 03-Sep-14 19:57:11

Ooo, I'd be interested to know this too. Autistic DS (15) will only drink Cherry Coke. Tried every other drink and he'd rather go thirsty and as he already has dehydration problems I have to give him the coke. As a result, his teeth aren't as shiny white as they could be!

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 20:07:22

artdeco will he use mouthwash?

MajesticWhine Wed 03-Sep-14 20:27:14

Watching with interest. DD1 has got very patchy enamel.

BeyondRepair Wed 03-Sep-14 20:28:29

i was tld you cant repair enamel

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 03-Sep-14 20:28:48

Not tried it, but would be interested in what any people in the know think of the claims.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 03-Sep-14 20:31:50

It is impossible to repair tooth enamel! I've had a coating on the back of three of my teeth where the enamel was lost, which will (apparently) lengthen their life for several years.

These toothpastes I think, claim to strengthen existing enamel and reduce sensitivity. Once the enamel is gone, though, it is gone.

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 20:31:51

If you've got small soft areas or decay where there is no cavitation then it's possible to make it go hard. It's not possible to rebuild it.

Tbh I've read no research yet about this stuff so I will reserve judgement but in all honesty, you can't go wrong with a good 1400ppm fluoride toothpaste.

wooldonor Wed 03-Sep-14 21:25:26

Hmm, no one has tried it yet then.

I've googled but most of the results are just the manufacturers sales stuff but at the end of this piece it does seem to get a thumbs up. It looks like you have to buy the £30 additional box as well for it to work fully.

money.aol.co.uk/2014/08/18/how-much-should-you-pay-for-your-toothpaste/

The dentist has identified that one of my children has weak enamel and I would be prepared to spend the money if it really worked to prevent problems in later life.

ArtDecoGirly Wed 03-Sep-14 21:26:24

Mrsmorton I haven't really tried him with mouthwash, he hates mint flavour and been using the Arm & Hammer baking soda stuff, the pro enamel one, because it's not very minty! Even then he rinses his mouth until every trace has gone hmm. Can you get a flavoured mouthwash that isn't mint? hopeful...

gamerchick Wed 03-Sep-14 21:28:12

Could you maybe get him to use a straw instead art? That should help a lot.

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 21:36:46

Hmm, I will look into it.

Using a fluoride mouthwash at the mid point is helpful but obvs not if he'll rinse it all away.

ArtDecoGirly Wed 03-Sep-14 21:38:16

gamerchick I never really thought of that! Been so stressed buying and trying every drink, every flavour hot chocolate, every flavour milk/water I've been thinking more how to get him off it than how to help him drink it better if he won't drink anything else (if that makes sense!). I have some straws in, I'll start making sure he uses one every time. Thank you smile

And sorry for hijacking the thread... blush

KateShmate Wed 03-Sep-14 21:42:39

artdecogirly ink{http://www.boots.com/en/Listerine-Smart-Rinse-For-Kids-6-Mild-Berry-250ml_980962/\www.boots.com/en/Listerine-Smart-Rinse-For-Kids-6-Mild-Berry-250ml_980962]]/} is a berry flavour one, and most of the childrens ones seemed to be fruity flavoured, rather than mint smile I know it's a childrens one, but if he doesn't rinse then it's got to be better than the mint!

OP, I've bought that new Colgate Sugar acid neutraliser toothpaste and probably been using it about 2 weeks but it's hard to say whether it's helping really? Hopefully it is smile

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 21:49:07

Dawood and tanner do some lovely flavours, that listerine one looks good as well. Straw is great idea as long as he doesn't still swish afterwards.

Diet cherry coke?

BeyondRepair Wed 03-Sep-14 21:50:03

I've had a coating on the back of three of my teeth where the enamel was lost, which will (apparently) lengthen their life for several years.

was this privatly done and if so was it pricey> i was told have little enamel left but was given no other info on it....

JavaSparrow Wed 03-Sep-14 22:01:18

What was the mouth wash that used to be advertised as needing to be shaked first: "shake it up". I found weird and slightly oily, but they did a very non minty clove mouthwash, almost cinnamon-y. Worth a try?

JavaSparrow Wed 03-Sep-14 22:03:54

Found it, dentyl active fresh clove flavour.
www.dentylactive.com/products

BIWI Wed 03-Sep-14 22:04:54

Mrsmorton - you're a dentist, aren't you? I read the small print on the box, and the claims that the product makes are all based on in vitro results. Presumably, therefore, they can't claim that it actually works on a real patient/in a real mouth?

MrsPennyapple Wed 03-Sep-14 22:06:07

Dentyl ph is the clove one.

I'm a dentist too. I was given a free trial of Regenerate. All the trials show it compared to a non fluoride toothpaste (which is basically useless) to make their product look better. I'll use up my free trial but I wouldn't pay for it.

TiramiSue Wed 03-Sep-14 22:14:12

Im not aware of that product but i use sensodyne pronamel and i have had zero problems with tooth sensitivity since i started using it, whereas before i could barely drink a cup of tea without the awful sensitivity pain.

Its ruddy expensive but worth it imo!

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 22:16:16

It sounds like they just compared it to a placebo in which case I'm with noarmani

Marketing. That's all!

Mrsmorton Wed 03-Sep-14 22:17:50

Btw for most people! mouthwash is useless. For those with sensory or manual difficulties or funky diets, it's helpful. For 99% of NT people, a waste of money.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 03-Sep-14 22:28:59

My mum has been using it and the difference after 3 weeks is incredible, noticeably better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now