Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dreaded car seats

(51 Posts)
KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 15:31:34

I have a ten year old, a two year old, and am pregnant with a baby due in March. We have an estate car. You would have thought there'd be enough room for three car seats right? No. Even when converting ds1's high back booster into a normal booster (which I'm not overly happy about because he's not tall) the seats don't all fit in. Ds2 is in a britax first choice (I think that's what it's called..?) and the baby will be in a maxi cosi cabriofix.

Has anyone got any miraculous suggestions or are we going to have to starve ourselves in order to buy a new car?

I have a Mondeo and in the back have two Britax Adventures www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/adventure for my 5 and 7 year olds, and a Klippan Kiss 2 in the middle for my 8 month old.

Klippan Kiss 2s cove newborn to about 4 years old year facing and are pretty slim fitting. You may be able to put in two Kiss 2s and a Britax Adventure for the eldest. If you go to a branch of the In Car Safety Centre they will be able to sort you something out for your car incarsafetycentre.co.uk/

MummyPig24 Wed 03-Sep-14 16:03:54

We had to get a new car. We have two in graco high back boosters, fairly slim. And the baby in a maxi cosi cabriofix. We couldn't shut the doors in a skoda Octavia. It's still tight in a Honda CRV.

cover, not cove. BTW the Klippans are expensive, but superb seats, and work out a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car. They are also able to be fitted with either a seatbelt or ISOFIX. I did a review of it in the carseat section www.mumsnet.com/reviews/on-the-move/baby-car-seats-from-birth/9621-oy-klippan-kiss-2

KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 17:12:01

Ooh thanks for that quietbatperson - anything to avoid having to buy a new car! Although I don't suppose husband would mind, we really can't afford it!

Will go check out the klippan seats.

SuperScrimper Wed 03-Sep-14 17:47:36

In the back of a Vauxhall Meriva we have this for a 3 year old plus a Maxi Cosi Priorifix and a Maxi Cosi high backed Rodi.

Tight, but ok.

BikeRunSki Wed 03-Sep-14 17:50:10

Could you put a child in the front and adult passenger in the middle at the back? We do this occsssionally if we take an extra child out (Octavia).

If you are anywhere near Essex, Milton Keynes or Belfast then I would really recommend the in car safety centre. They have a huge range of seats and really know what they are doing. You can book a fitting appointment with them, and if you go to the MK branch IKEA is 10 minutes down the A5 grin

natenewt Wed 03-Sep-14 17:59:49

I'm pretty sure that the law on car seats is that a child over the age of 3 can sit in an adult 3 point seat belt if a car seat will not fit. We do this occasionally with our 10 year old in the middle seat.

KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 18:20:25

I'm in Kent, could possibly go to Essex, dependent on where it is!

Not sure if my hefty bottom would fit between the two smaller seats, it's worth a go! I can squeeze between the booster and the toddler's seat in an emergency, the maxi cosi has a smaller footprint though so it's possible...

DH is "reluctantly" looking at new cars, his argument being that we could probably part ex our car and put the same amount as we would spend on new car seats on top of it, and be able to get a car where we didn't need new seats. I'm sceptical of his claim!

Of course there is the question of just how often we'd be taking all three children out together, I suppose for quick journeys to pick up click and collect groceries and the like the ten year old could stay home. And he's at school 5 days a week. Holidays though...

Argh. Minefield. My parents had three children in 6 years and didn't have this issue! Mind you I'm glad of the added safety that car seats bring.

Galena Wed 03-Sep-14 18:29:50

Have you seen the multimac? I haven't tried it myself but have heard it recommended.

Bamaluz Wed 03-Sep-14 19:33:04

The Britax Prince or Eclipse would probably be narrower than the First Class. Have you tried a all the combinations of seats to fit them in? I usually put the toddler seat in the middle.

KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 19:43:34

I hadn't heard of that multimac before Galena it looks great but super expensive, once again dh is saying we could get a new car for that in addition to the part ex for our current one. Plus it doesn't look like they make it to fit our car..

Bamaluz dh messed around with the seats today, I don't know if he tried all the combinations possible. I'll look into the other britax seats, I want something that will last if I am going to replace it/them.

Interesting that the law allows children to go without a seat if it doesn't fit, surely anyone could have a three year old that they can't be bothered to get a seat for, and just say it doesn't fit? I'd feel happier with him in a seat, and he finds it comfier too, especially on longer journeys when he can put his head on the side protect bits and go to sleep!

MissWimpyDimple Wed 03-Sep-14 19:47:05

Have you tried all the different combinations? We managed to have the baby seat and the toddler seat on either end and a small booster cushion in the middle. It's a pain to do up the belts, but it does work. It's easier of course if the 10yo can help by plugging the belts in for you!

At an absolute push you could use a bubblebum for the 10y.o in the middle, otherwise look for a booster cushion without wings as they will fit in a lot easier than the big ones.

There is a Volvo HBB which is exceptionally slim too! If you Google Volvo Booster seat in Images you'll see it.

KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 19:47:09

Bugger. The Britax Eclipse is apparently exactly the same width as the first class, I can't see a "Prince" on their website, they have a "King" but again, it's the same width.

The Essex branch of the in car safety centre is in Rayleigh, very do-able from Kent.

If you do get a new car though please try fitting seats in it before you buy it - it sounds really obvious but unless you are buying a 7 seat people carrier then there is no way to be sure you will be able to get them all in.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 03-Sep-14 19:49:55

How long does the ten year old have to go on a booster?

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 03-Sep-14 19:53:11

We got some of these seat belt extenders from ebay which made life a lot easier.

Ihateparties Wed 03-Sep-14 19:58:30

I would go for different seats over a new car unless there are other factors at play. We have x2 jane montecarlo high back boosters and a joie tilt in a 2011 seat Ibiza estate and a joie tilt and x2 halfords high back boosters in a 2014 hyundai i10. I can also fit two joie tilts and a joie gemm (extremely similar to cabriofix) all rear facing in the i10 I discovered the other day.

The halfords ones are the smallest hbb I have ever seen, the graco ones are slim, so is the britax adventure and the montecarlo. I have found the different shapes work better or worse in different cars.

My parents drive big cars, a Mazda 6 and an Audi a6 and it isn't very much easier in those than in our small cars but don't give up and buy a new car unless you have other reasons to!

misdee Wed 03-Sep-14 20:02:30

Try baby seat, first class, booster.

I have found that by putting the toddler in the middle I can fit the other seats around that one.

I have a Citroen c5 estate.

misdee Wed 03-Sep-14 20:03:45

The base for the eclipse is narrower than the first class, although the actual seats are the same size

KittenOverlord Wed 03-Sep-14 20:18:09

Ihateparties I am absolutely with you on that! Ds1 is in a graco hbb, it's pretty slim but the halfords one looks slimmer at the bottom! It would certainly be the easiest and cheapest to replace! He legally has to be in it until he is 135cm or 12, whichever he hits first. He is currently 127 cm, I have just measured him! 8 cm to go...

The first class is HUGE but super comfy for DS and will last until he is roughly 4, at which point he will go into ds1's by that point outgrown HBB, and the baby will move into the Britax.

I'm now thinking ds1 in the middle on the slimmer HBB, ds2 behind my seat and the baby behind dh. Possibly on an easy fix type base to minimise plugging in/unplugging issues. We will go and have a play with seats tomorrow!

Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions, I love Mumsnet!

Galena Wed 03-Sep-14 21:13:16

He doesn't legally have to be in a hbb, just on a booster seat.

DefiniteMaybe Wed 03-Sep-14 21:17:17

With 2 car seats for smaller children in the back a 10 year old can legally just use the seat belt.

RedSoloCup Wed 03-Sep-14 21:25:47

Britax eclipse from 9months to 4yo have really narrow bases, also the 10yo can get a really slimline booster?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now