Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Am I breaking the law re childminding?

(83 Posts)

I'm all confused. It doesn't take much grin

I look after my 3 nieces twice a week.
I look after 2 boys for 2 hours in the morning twice a week.
I look after 3 different boys after school for 2 hours 3.30-5.30 twice a week.

I only charge costs, I do it a favour really. I have an accountant who does my teeny tax return!

Somebody today laid into me saying I needed qualifications and to be registered and she was going to report me. Trying to look it up online is a bloody minefield.

Fwiw, I have an in date paed first aid certificate.

Am I okay?!

realitygone Wed 03-Sep-14 14:39:57

How old are the children?

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 03-Sep-14 14:40:58

I think you might be.

My nieces are all under 3.

The others are infant age.

But from what I understood, I can't register for family, and also can't for 2 hours a day or less?

Might be breaking the law, or okay?!

realitygone Wed 03-Sep-14 14:42:10

The new stat guidance has just come into force yesterday, I haven't had chance to read into great detail but someone mentioned that we can childmind unregistered for 2 hours per day.

However, I am sure there is an age limit on it and also a numbers restriction

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 03-Sep-14 14:43:19

You'll have trouble passing it off as a favour if it's regular and money changes hands (even if it is minimal)

ReallyTired Wed 03-Sep-14 14:43:33

If the children are over the age of eight you don't need to be a registered childminder. It would be a good idea to have proper liablity insurance if you are going to childmind. I am not sure what qualications you need to be a registered childminder other than first aid certificate. Registration is about protecting yourself as well as the children in your care.

As soon as money passes hands it stops being a favour and becomes a commerical arrangment. It is illegal to take money for minding a child under the age of eight.

lightningstrikes Wed 03-Sep-14 14:43:43

If you are charging money, then yes, AFAIK, you need to be registered even if it is family. Someone who knows better than I will be along to correct me if I am wrong. You don't have to be registered if you are providing 2 hours or less each day. Crucially though, you need to be insured and you can't be insured if you aren't registered. Talk to your local council, registering may be easier than you think!

amyhamster Wed 03-Sep-14 14:43:47

for the 5 boys you're a childminder surely! You need to be registered.
What if something happened to them while they were in your care? Are you insured?

I meant I do it as a favour as opposed to making money. The income is all declared so I'm not worried about the tax.

I only have the boys for 2 hours, and the websites say I can't register for that?

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 03-Sep-14 14:45:59

Might be breaking the law. I'm not sure though. I remember reading the rules when a friend was going to register with DS as her first customer....

rocketjam Wed 03-Sep-14 14:46:40

Depends how old the children are. But I also think you are breaking the law.

Are you looking after them in your own home or at their house?

Rule of thumb is, looking after children who are not related to you, on a regular basis, in your home, for financial reward (or childcare swap) then it is illegal unless you are registered as a childminder.

Frusso Wed 03-Sep-14 14:46:41
HaroldLloyd Wed 03-Sep-14 14:48:29

I'd ring the council and check this with them to make sure it was 100% correct, especially as you added likely to be getting reported anyway.

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 03-Sep-14 14:49:02

But that's why i'd be worried. It might be small sums, but it looks business-like: tax returns, more than one client family, money changing hands...

FrootLoopy Wed 03-Sep-14 14:49:11

OP, you're fine. For family, you don't need to register. That change has been around awhile.

If you look after them for 2 hours or less, you also don't need to be registered.

HaroldLloyd Wed 03-Sep-14 14:49:24

Sounds like you need to send off for an exemption, I'd do that as soon as you can.

Frusso Wed 03-Sep-14 14:49:27

If you felt you wanted to you could join the voluntary register.
But you'd register with ofsted, not local council.

I'm not arguing that im a business. I know I'm a business.

Fact is, all Internet searches are telling me what frusso linked to.

Which means I can charge for childcare, the nieces are entirely irrelevant, and I'm okay.

But then I get lots more people like you other lot telling me that's wrong grin

So it's my local council I need to call?

RobinSparkles Wed 03-Sep-14 14:53:56

You're fine with family and fine to have children for under 2 hours.

You can also look after a child who isn't family, in their own house.

ArsenicFaceCream Wed 03-Sep-14 14:54:53

I think you are breaking the law until you notify an exemption.

Wasn't the exemption form on that link?

Frusso Wed 03-Sep-14 14:55:24

No monkeyface, only ofsted regulate childminders/care providers. They could give you a simple answer.

HaroldLloyd Wed 03-Sep-14 14:55:27

Seems fine to me just had a look.

There is an email address for ofsted on the form and it says to just send that off if you are eligible to not have to register.

I would poss just do the form or email them which covers your back should the complaint be made as well.

Interesting, in frussos link, it also says if you only look after friends children, for up to 3 hours, and only some money changes hand, I don't need to be registered. The boys are all friends kids.

Too. Bloody. Complicated for a simpleton like me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now