Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

First day back - annoyed with school already.

(41 Posts)
katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 14:33:31

DD is in year 8. In July they sent out uniform regs and very helpful pictures of what uniform is acceptable. All it says is black school trousers, not leggins, fair enough.

So I got the same trousers as dd wore all last year which are BHS Tammy black skinny fit school trousers.

DD was told today that her trousers are unacceptable, even though the girl in the example picture is clearly wearing skinny trousers.

So have to go through the merry hell which is school trouser shopping and finding the money. ARRHH. Have also phoned and ranted to school that they should make their policy more clear, i.e say no skinny trousers.

HangingBasketCase Wed 03-Sep-14 14:38:27

Why are schools so particular about uniforms these days? I don't ever remember us having to have a particular style or make of jumpers, shirts or trousers, as long as we had the correct colour and the right tie then it didn't really matter. It just seems like parents are being put to an unnecessary expense.

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 14:41:52

Exactly!- my school was never this bad, if they had said no skinny trousers at the end of last term and not sent a picture out of the girl wearing a pair the same as my dd I would not have even got them.

HangingBasketCase Wed 03-Sep-14 14:46:25

I wonder if it's down to power crazed head teachers with ideas above their station? I'd expect them to be really anal about uniforms at a private school, but at state schools many parents just don't have the funds to specific makes.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 03-Sep-14 14:48:35

Just email them and ask them to show you where in the regulations it tells you they can't wear skinny fit trousers. If it wasn't in the regs they sent out, then tough shit to them.

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 14:51:08

Hanging it is a new headteacher so it does explain the over zealous ness.

The school is not in a very affluent area, so yes people will struggle.

MarchEliza Wed 03-Sep-14 14:53:27

Why did they send a picture with someone modelling 'unacceptable' trousers??

SistersOfPercy Wed 03-Sep-14 14:54:45

They did this with DD and she'd been wearing the same style of trousers for 3 years prior to this.
I told them I'd bought them new, they had been good enough for the previous 3 years and unfortunately that was what she was wearing and I wasn't buying any more. I suggested they perhaps take a look at the pupils massively flouting the uniform rules (i.e completely ignoring them) and leave those in smart trousers alone.
Never heard from them again and she left in May grin

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 14:58:29

Eliza, I am waiting an answer to that very question, he couldn't answer it before said he had to phone back, prob had to go and check the pic lol.

I agree sisters, some of the way some of the kids dress is appalling, but so what as long as they are there every day and willing to learn.

LineRunner Wed 03-Sep-14 15:00:57

Tell me about it. The black shoes DS was wearing at the end of last term are now mysteriously not acceptable.

SistersOfPercy Wed 03-Sep-14 15:06:02

I was fuming Katrina, I'd sat waiting for DD to come out and watched lads in tracksuits, lads in trainers, girls with blue hair, miniscule skirts, no ties, even a year 11 girl with a bloody great tattoo on her neck (not even joking) yet here was DD being pulled up for the wrong shape of trousers.

I was so glad this morning when I waved DD off to college in her jeans and a jumper.

shadypines Wed 03-Sep-14 15:19:39

Katrina, your post is making my blood boil as I was in a very similar position to you last year., but I put my foot down and the Headteacher admitted they were wrong and gave me the money back for the wasted uniform. I'll just briefly say my tale..

Uniform policy just stated 'plain blue blouses' so I bought a pack of 4 pale blue blouses (as described on shop website and packet). Skip to DDs first day of high school, deputy head pulls her up and says she will get detention in a few days as she has the wrong blouses, the collar is not the correct style (apparently 'revere'). I was fuming, got on the phone several times and wrote to the Head in the end. It was THEIR mistake for not stating clearly that this collar style was required and I was dammed if DD was going to get detention and I was going to pay another £17!!

If I were you I would dig your heels in if it is their mistake, it's a joke, parents pay enough money as it is for uniform so the schools should state exactly what is required. It really annoys me the way schools mess parents around as if we got oodles of money and time to sort stuff out. Good luck with it.

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 15:33:59

How annoying for you shady, glad you stood your ground and got your money back.

Have just had an a very embarrassed member of staff ring me back from the school, she admitted that she had never seen the picture that went out and the girl is indeed wearing the banned skinny trousers. She said dd is fine to wear hers. They are going to be redoing uniform photos and sending them out lol, what a silly mistake for the school to make.

If they are redoing uniform photos and sending them out, then it sounds like they are planning to enforce a change of uniform after the start of term. I would be asking for assurance that the new guidelines will be sent out for the next school year, not this one.

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 16:05:54

Yes it sounds to me like thats what they are planning bat, which of course will get other parents backs up as well.

Will email them to ask.

IAmNotAMindReader Wed 03-Sep-14 16:35:05

DS2's school were infamous for starting the school year with a raft of ridiculously unenforceable uniform rules and then backing off when parents complained and adopting a more sensible stance.

All black shoes and trainers with no makers tags, marks or other colours of any kind anywhere on them, even the sole? Good luck with that!

They relented on that one within 6 weeks as they didn't have enough staff to cover the detentions and their attendance records plummeted due to the numbers being sent home and parents let them know it was impossible.

Zucker Wed 03-Sep-14 16:38:02

I got an insight into the crazy uniform world today when a shop owner told me the head of the local school had rung her up to tell her not to stock full length sleeve shirts as the head doesn't like them and doesn't want "her girls" wearing them! Dictating what the shop can stock!!

Zucker shock

GoblinLittleOwl Wed 03-Sep-14 16:49:45

I wonder if it's down to power crazed head teachers with ideas above their station?
No. It is down to Headteachers trying to instil some discipline into their charges, because they clearly don't get it at home. Discipline over school uniform is the first step; haven't you noticed publicity over improved schools showing children properly dressed, not in casual wear.

Zucker Wed 03-Sep-14 16:54:16

No. It is down to Headteachers trying to instil some discipline into their charges, because they clearly don't get it at home.

Are you a headteacher with ideas above your station?

0pheliaBalls Wed 03-Sep-14 16:56:01

DD is in sixth form now so doesn't wear uniform but when she went to middle school they had a 'school coat' on the uniform list. This was a hip length, thin, showerproof anorak thing with no hood and no lining, just this weird mesh stuff. You had to buy it directly from the school and it cost £45. £45! There was a cheaper option - a thin fleece jacket for £19. We were not very well off at the time so had to buy the fleece - it galled so much when friends were buying their kids thick winter coats from supermarkets for less.

That winter was one of the harshest on record and I'll never forget sending DD out in blizzards for her one and a half mile walk to school in a bloody fleece. They weren't allowed to wear scarves or layers other than their uniforms under their fleeces/coats, either, and had teachers stationed (in their nice warm cars and/or thick coats) for a mile or so around the school to make sure nobody flouted the rules, so no wearing a big coat/layers on top and taking them off when they arrived at school. The coat/fleece had to be worn at all times on the way to and from school, or they'd be put in detention. They weren't allowed to wear boots, either. Boys could wear chunky shoes but girls had to wear flat court shoes. Poor DD used to come in frozen and crying some evenings. One mother let her DD go to school in a navy, hooded wool coat - when she was given detention, her mum went to the local paper. The headmaster responded by saying the girl (who had low immunity because of medication she was on) was wearing the coat 'for style' and that £45 for a coat was totally reasonable given what parents spend on 'sports style jackets' (?) for their kids.

The coat policy was the same all through high school, too. It was lovely last winter seeing her wrapped up in a long wool coat, bobble hat and a pile of scarves to go out in the mornings smile

Thisvehicleisreversing Wed 03-Sep-14 16:58:31

A friend of mine got a phone call from her DD's school telling her her DD's trousers were wrong as they were skinny fit.

Her friends who were next to her in class had exactly the same trousers on. When she pointed it out, the (female) teacher said "yes but they're tighter on your thighs"
Thankfully my friend's DD has balls and said back "so you're saying I'm fat basically?"

She was upset that this was done in front of the rest of the class though.

So many girls of different shapes and sizes are feeling conscious of their bodies the last thing they need is to be told their clothes are too tight when they're ok on their slimmer friends.

Ididntseeitsoitdidnthappen Wed 03-Sep-14 16:58:51

They're bringing uniform standards up because it instills a sense of pride in the self and leads to good behaviour and good academic performance

katrina81 Wed 03-Sep-14 17:01:33

Shocking Zucker!

What a stupid policy Ophelia, £45 would buy coats for both mine and some left over.

Zucker Wed 03-Sep-14 17:03:05

Jeez that's dreadful Thisvehicleisreversing imagine saying that to a young girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now