Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Well thanks a bunch for raining on my parade.....

(34 Posts)
foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 14:01:28

Why do people think they have a right to so this?????

I've for me gone mad and booked a holiday next year abroad for me and dd. By booking it now I've got a single parent deal at a water park on August. Yes, I know it will be bloody hot but when we stay on the UK not only is sun not guarenteed but I also have to do all the driving. Don't get me wrong, they've been great Hols but I come back shattered. So this booking is a big thing for me. Since Goves holiday changes I thought we'd said good bye to trips abroad.
I emailed a close male friend to tell him what I've done. Said friend has a fantastic job and hence no money concerns, unlike me. He emailed me back to say that he thinks I'm putting myself and dd at risk as we will be 2 women on our own on Turkey. So what am I supposed to do, stay in the Uk for the next 7 years FFS??? I'm not stupid, I've resignedly self to singledom and certainly won't have head turned by some bloke just because he's serving me a drink....... Why can't people just say 'good for you!' All I want is a bit of sun and a relax from constantly having to make/do/organise everything - let someone else cook and wash up, that sort of thing.
Sorry, I know, everyone entitled to their opinions, they don't have to open their mouths about them though - gggrrr!!!

LadyEnglefield Wed 03-Sep-14 14:03:37

Good for you!

I'm sure you and DD will have a smashing time.

Whereabouts in Turkey are you going?

BucktoothedGirlinLuxembourg Wed 03-Sep-14 14:04:05

Sounds great to me. Have a fantastic time!

If you're in a touristy part of turkey you'll be fine by yourselves.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 03-Sep-14 14:07:30

What does he think turkey is like? Good grief! I am sure you will be a touristy area anyway and will be FINE

I hope you and dd have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will. Don't let this killjoy rain on your parade

foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 14:08:00

Thanks! Going to Olu Deniz (appologies, I'm sure I've spelt it wrong!). Loads of pools, another one being put in for next year, 18 water slides. Most peoples idea of hell but dd is a pure waterbabe and is a fantastic swimmer so I know she'll enjoy it which takes some pressure off me

PickleSarnie Wed 03-Sep-14 14:09:37

People are idiots. Xenophobic idiots.

I went on holiday to Greece whilst v pregnant (and therefore hormonal) and first thing my MIL said was "oooooh, better watch out. The Ben boy that dissappeared was blonde with blue eyes. Madeleine McCann was too". Essentially: "Have a nice holiday. Try not to have your child pinched by those nasty foreigners".

Have a fab holiday!

DPotter Wed 03-Sep-14 14:10:02

Well done you for being so organised - I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time!

As for being at risk - pahh! Turkey is an established holiday destination for european travellers, so unless you're heading off to Kurdish territories (well away from the tourist centres on the coast) - you will be absolutely fine.

Ignore the nay-sayers.

foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 14:10:24

He did end with 'I suppose you're going to say I read the daily fail too much again......' (He's from UK but emergrated years ago)wink

bakingaddict Wed 03-Sep-14 14:10:31

You'll be fine...take no notice of well meaning people who talk bullshit.

Twitterqueen Wed 03-Sep-14 14:12:13

Well done! fantastic. You have the whole year now to look forward to it.

As a 24x7x365 single mum to 3 DDs I nearly always go for these holidays for the exact reason you have stated - no hassles. We have just returned from a fab week in Switzerland, but I worked myself into a right state beforehand, because I booked it all separately (flights, appartment, hire car, parking etc) and found it all very stressful for some reason this year. The hire car driving was the worst, because they kindly upgraded me to a lovely power-steered Audi A4 with sat nav and all the works (including heated seats) - but my own car is a clapped out 13 year old banger so the mystery of a handbrake that works via a button took some working out.

You will have a lovely, lovely time. Turkey is great.

wafflyversatile Wed 03-Sep-14 14:14:28

Say that perhaps if he stopped reading the daily mail he'd stop coming out with the sort of crap that inspires you to say he reads the daily mail too much.

TalcumPowder Wed 03-Sep-14 14:15:47

You'll have a great time. I've managed to spend a fair bit of solo time in Turkey without having my head turned by a devilishly handsome waiter. And I'm impressed by your organisation. Every single holiday I have ever been on was ridiculously last-minute...

Thegreatunslept Wed 03-Sep-14 14:16:44

Pack plenty of sun cream and reapply regularly and have a great time!
My dsd loved the water park when we where on holiday 2years ago.
You will both have a lovely time just remember to take lots of pics! grin

Ledkr Wed 03-Sep-14 14:19:42

I took four dc all over the world on my own and was fine. Just take usual precautions. I found people really impressed that we we alone and keen to help us if we needed it.
It was very positive for me in getting on with my life after divorce.

foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 14:20:35

We've previously been to Aqualand in Corfu and it was brilliant - never fully relax obviously but certainly chilled down! Thanks everyone, good to know that others think I'm not an idiot for booking this

foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 14:23:06

I wish we had a like button on here- you've all been lovely!

bonkersLFDT20 Wed 03-Sep-14 14:24:11

I'd have to write back to him and say you're really upset by his response. You were not asking for his opinion and it's very patronising to think you haven't considered your or your DD's safety.

twitterqueen your post made me laugh, the first time dmil sat in our new car, we put the heated seats and she got very upset as she thought she had wet herself! She howled laughing when she realised what it was!

Ignore him foslady, you will have a fab time :-)

specialsubject Wed 03-Sep-14 14:39:37

always ignore the ignorant.

have a great time. (and glad to see you know it will be hot, as an ex-rep those who go to the med in August and then whine about the heat are a bit of a strain...)

Twitterqueen Wed 03-Sep-14 15:18:11

50shades I'm glad I'm not alone! That is funny though. The other thing was the ignition. I got this fat slab of plastic with nothing like a key on it and wondered what the hell I was supposed to do with it. Luckily eldest DD has had a driving lesson in ex-H's (new) car, so was able to advise - and also operate the sat nav.

I feel old.

foslady Wed 03-Sep-14 15:44:20

Twitter I think I'd have freaked at that!!!!!

kentishgirl Wed 03-Sep-14 16:42:25

I was around there last year, you are going to have a fantastic holiday.

I don't know which has annoyed me more about your friend's comment. The misogyny or the racism. He's a twat. As he's a close friend, I'd have to tell him how offensive he's been.

CPtart Wed 03-Sep-14 17:04:55

Just come back from Turkey and went to a couple of fantastic watermarks. You will have a great time, but be careful on them!! I'm looking at hols for next year already, some good deals booking early.

geesmum1 Wed 03-Sep-14 17:15:51

As a single mum I often got a similar response from people about taking my daughter abroad on holiday. People often commented that I was 'very brave' to take her away alone, particularly when we went to the US. I found this laughable. What were we supposed to do.....never have a holiday cos I didn't have a man?! I've also taken her to Olu Deniz when she was much younger and we had a fab time. Just booked for Turkey next summer and can't wait. Not nervous in the least. You'll have a great time. Enjoy and just ignore the doubters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now