Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Awake (and likely not going to sleep tonight) with baaaaad toothache. Anyone awake? Tips? Distractions of any kind welcome!

(88 Posts)

My own stupid fault. Being a single parent means getting childcare for dentist trips so I was waiting for the summer hols to be over so I could get this 'niggle' looked at. Well the niggle turns out to be a black worm-hole into another dimension and it only started really hurting a few hours ago.

Seeing a dentist asap in the AM and a lovely friend has offered to watch DS but until then...!

Any tips? Distractions?

I want to pull the fucker out!!!!!!!! wine wine wine

Anyone know of any magical tips that work at home (til you can get to a dentist anyway)?

I will pay you in monoply money. Im good for it grin

BreadForBrains Tue 02-Sep-14 23:47:46

Smash a hammer on to your foot and I promise you you'll forget all about your tooth grin

I am actually tempted though grin

Thank you.

Feels like when I had a root canal and they hadn't fully numbed it. <criiiiiiinge>

hopelessadventure Tue 02-Sep-14 23:52:15

Dab it with whiskey soaked cotton wool. Works wonders.

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Tue 02-Sep-14 23:52:26

Take paracetamol & ibrufen together.

Can u get to a 24hr shop & get some oil of cloves? If not- If u have any whiskey/ brandy in house, swill it around tooth like a mouthwash - not too much if your taking pain killers tho!

Horsemad Tue 02-Sep-14 23:56:45

Rubbing an ice cube on the 'V' between the index and next finger along has helped me with toothache.

Hope that helps! Worth a try?

I've been a bit cheeky and resorted to taking 2 tramadol (opiate) & two iboprofen. That was an hour ago and it's still distractingly jeffing sore.

Stuck at home with DS and everyone's in bed so stranded til tomorrow morning now.

That'll teach me not to put things off! Been q-tipping Bongela on it and salt-washing.

Lying here watching crap TV with an ice-pack resting on my face. Glad no one can see me grin

Thanks for the 'cube tip.

BitchyTakesOnManagement Wed 03-Sep-14 00:06:36

distraction techniques:
pinterest
there was a msg in a bottle site that was popular on mn a while back but i have lost the link
google quotes
find a tv series to watch on netflix
read threads from mn classics

Ime it can take up to an hour and half sometimes for pain killers to kick in.

mammmamia Wed 03-Sep-14 00:11:15

You have my sympathies. I've had 4 weeks of toothache and it's only just starting to get better. Paracetamol worked for me followed by ibuprofen a few hours later if required.
Also sleeping on the side where the pain was seemed to help strangely!

I can see the 'cavity' so I know that's why it's so sore. It's pretty exposed so the pulp is just freaking out <shiver>

Teeth weird me out at the best of times. Had so many fillings (and one traumatic root canal) after DS that I developed a later-in-life fear of the dentist grin

And thanks. It's been an hour since the Tramadol and half an hour since the Ibuprofen.

Am pintresting blokes I fancied as a teen. It's helping a bit grin wine

I reallllly wish I had some whisky or any strong spirits. Have 2 bottles of cider that I am sorely tempted to drink through a straw, just to take the edge off.

The news is on in the background.

Boris Johnson got a haircut.

He's scary now the silly hair is gone shock

If I drove, it wasn't 0:22AM and I wasn't a single parent I would so be straight to out of hours hmm

I hope they take the fucker out. It's the second time it's played up and already has a filling in it.

I have way too many fillings for someone my age...Have no idea what happened when I was pregnant, as other preg' friends didn't get it as bad, but my teeth just went to shit grin

I have a gold cap on another mollar. It's my life insurance...

Pasithea Wed 03-Sep-14 00:25:13

Ditto ditto ditto. I have a smashed tooth and it's agony. Can't eat sleep drink. Arrrrrghhhhhh

Oh that sounds awful. Here, have a salt-wash on the house brew

I am going to be a crabby zombie tomorrow but lying down isn't really working for me at the moment...

Need to google to see if I can take paracetemol on top of the other two <clueless>

Urgh.

Pasithea Wed 03-Sep-14 00:33:44

I've taken morphine. Still bloody agony.

I gave the last of mine away to a friend who has ehlor danlos syndrome (have suspected crohn's myself and undergoing tests etc which means my house looks like a fledgling pharmacy).

Really regret it now!

Are you able to get to an out of hours place or are you stuck like me?

Oo! Turns out you can take tramadol, ibuprofen and paracetemol at the same time.

Maybe, just maybe that'll take the edge off.

Ok so I know the Tramadol has kicked in because I feel woozy and lost that filter you have that makes you think before you speak/do anything.

Once embarassingly told an ex he had beautiful eyebrows when dosed up... blush grin

BitchyTakesOnManagement Wed 03-Sep-14 00:54:59

if that was the worst of it then you have gotten away lightly. grin Last time I had morphine i told the nurse to kindly warn me before the train came through the room again as it was a bit of a shock. hmmgrin

BitchyTakesOnManagement Wed 03-Sep-14 00:55:30

Good luck with sleep and hope you get tooth fixed asap

Pasithea Wed 03-Sep-14 00:55:55

Am stuck. Til Thursday. Arrrgghhhhhh

Pasithea Wed 03-Sep-14 00:56:43

Glad your pharmacy is starting to work lol x

Oh it's not really working hmm But I have proof the Tramadol has at least kicked in. Dreda to think how much it would hurt if I had none!

Is it just me that wonders what the hell people did before decent dental treatment/in thirld world countries in the present!? How did people not have toothache all the time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now