Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is it just me or is having a new mobile phone stressful?

(65 Posts)

Kept my number and transferred from EE today, Phone rang and I couldn't work out how to answer it. blush

It's all too different and my fingers don't do touch screen brilliantly. I was still using a keypad to text on my old one and it was fine.

<looks longingly at old phone>

SpiralArchitect Tue 02-Sep-14 21:59:23

You're not alone.

My old one had a button to press to answer and hang up, though it was a touchscreen for everything else.

DD had to explain to me about the swipey Android answering technique. blush

And then fell over herself in her haste to tell everyone in the world that "Mum can't work a phone"....

YY the swipe. I didn't know! DS2 (12) had to show me after I missed a call. blush

My old phone had keypad and touchscreen-it was perfect.

Progress doesn't always work for me.....

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-Sep-14 22:05:00

Yes!

DH got me a cute little smartphone last Christmas & I was nearly in tears because I couldn't figure out how it worked blush. We even took it back to the shop as I was adamant I wanted to change it, but the very helpful assistant explained that I needed a new SIM as mine was thirteen years old shock and sorted out the settings for me.

The phone behaved much better with a nice, new SIM, and I was much happier after I got lessons on how to work it from a helpful teenage DS.

misselphaba Tue 02-Sep-14 22:05:16

Whenever I get a new phone, I spend the first month panicking about dropping the bloody thing cracking the screen. Didn't have that with the Nokia 3210.

PunkrockerGirl Tue 02-Sep-14 22:06:14

I miss my old phone so much sad
<weeps>

Vitalstatistix Tue 02-Sep-14 22:10:00

Yes it is. I went from a really old fliptop thing, a very basic one, to one of those touchscreen things that does internet, music, video and everything. god knows why.

I couldn't figure out how to use the bloody thing. Still drives me batty.

I just want a phone to make calls. I have a tv to watch programmes. I have a radio to listen to music. I have a computer to do my internet banking on. I don't need to try to do it all on this teeny tiny screen that does my nut in.

I couldn't work out how to answer a call for two days! And I couldn't find out how you get the keypad up if you need to do the whole press 1 for... thing.

And there is NO ring on it. Call me crazy, but I like a phone to sound like a phone. brrring-brrring. Is that option available? Is it buggery. I can have beeps, wheeks, whistles, songs or some weird little animal shouting abuse at me, but may I have the sound of an actual phone? It appears I may not.

MaureenMLove Tue 02-Sep-14 22:11:40

My personal phone is an Iphone which I love, but did take a while to get the hang off. My work phone was a Blackberry, which again I managed to get the hang of. I've just changed that one though, as although I do need a work phone, I don't need it to be all singing, all dancing, so I asked for a plain and simple 'old' style push button Nokia.

Do you think I can work the bloody thing? I have no idea how to send texts on it using predictive text, so send all manner of shit to people, have yet to find my emails and my fingers are too big for the buttons!!

So the lesson is, keep going, you will master your new phone and your old one will be a distant memory! grin

I have ordered a case that comes with a stylus. I guess to use that would really be not the done thing. But it took me about 5 minutes to do a text earlier.

I sent one text in three parts because the 'send' is in the same place as 'back' on my old phone, so 3 texts with spelling mistakes. sad

nickelbabe Tue 02-Sep-14 22:18:46

it happened to us when dh first got his current phone.
neither of ys had ever used ttouch screen phones/devices before and we sat there helplessly tapping tge screen in various placed for ages as he missedcall after call!
the manual didn't say what to do.
eventually we googled it to find tgat we had to tap and drag the green phone icon to the green phone icon at tge bottim. or something. it was weird

It's all in the drag nickel. They should put a sticker on the front. angry

Elliptic5 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:28:17

I found that DH getting a new phone was more stressful. He spent weeks not being able to answer the phone, make calls, retrieve messages or send emails. He threatened to throw it away or take it back to the shop and picked fights with me over having to have a new phone, even tho' HE CHOSE IT angry

Eventually after I downloaded the instructions on to his ipad and refused to discuss anything about the phone at all he has now, nearly 3 months later, got the hang of it and even tells me how it works. We have this every time we get any new bit of technology, tomorrow he wants me to show him how to use Windows 8.1 on the computer - I am tempted to LTB tonight grin.

PushPineapple Tue 02-Sep-14 22:28:55

Buy a bag of stylus' from ebay. You'll keep breaking the sodding things. DH has gone through a fair few, shall we say.

I have enabled the Swype keyboard on my android phone- makes it so much more fluid once you've got the hang of it.

I now have a stylus Push and a case with butterflies on <irrelevant> The stylus has improved things greatly. The boys were a bit hmm but they don't have fat fingers. grin

I have got the hang of the swipe.

<still miss old phone emoticon>

Mrsjayy Thu 04-Sep-14 08:54:01

I got my first swipey phone at christmas I hated it for 3 months I couldn't answer it properly was cutting off calls with my ear/face its so frustrating and stressful

Totallyfidobono Thu 04-Sep-14 09:03:40

I got my new Smartphone 4 weeks ago. Still can't change the ringtone which is very C&W and I keep sending half-finished texts.confused

Oh yes ringtones angry I hate them all. angry I have chosen the least worst one.

I dread the thing ringing TBH.

lurkerspeaks Thu 04-Sep-14 09:21:58

You do know that you can personalize smart phones/iPhones with your own choice of ringtones. Lots of nice old phone tones available. Google change ringtone on your phone type for instructions.

I'm afraid I'm a bit unsymapethetic. This is the brave new world. Learn to love it or get left behind! If my increasingly frail aunt had bothered to learn how to use technology her life now would be much easier as internet shopping/ groceries etc. are a lifeline to many older people.

She isn't even old. Only early sixties.

If you have an itoy then apple run really good sessions in store. I did an advanced feature one on the iPhone and despite having had an apple phone for 3 years learnt loads.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Sep-14 09:23:38

I'm changing phones next week, I'm already dreading it. I've promised teen ds extra pocket money if he'll set it up for me without rolling his eyes at me!

Well I could have stayed with my old phone if I wanted to be left behind lurker I feel by having the new phone I am embracing the new technology!

Doesn't stop me being a bit frustrated with it though. My old phone did everything I needed it to

As the parent of a 12 and 15 year old I do have to be fairly on top of technology whether I like it or not. grin But if you have grown up with it it's second nature, I didn't.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Sep-14 09:30:48

I'm do used to Swype now I'm going to find it very hard to go back to tap tap next week with the iPhone.... <hyperventilates>

I haven't gone for an iPhone shock I didn't see any advantage for my requirements. DS1 seems to love his. I am not impressed with the chargers that last a few months. angry

capsium Thu 04-Sep-14 09:44:12

I will love my very old, very basic phone till it dies.

Doesn't do emails. Doesn't do photos. Just phone calls and texts with a few things like clock and games. It is nice and small and I only spend about £10.00 a year topping it up.

All my emails are done from our PC or iPad. I do like the iPad though. Just no desire for a new phone. smile

Mrsjayy Thu 04-Sep-14 09:48:13

I am typing this from a tablet so im not in the dark ages I just found the new phone frustrating thats all took me weeks to work the tablet too, oh I dont have I anything either

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 04-Sep-14 09:48:22

I am pretty savvy with a computer, do all my shopping on line, use Ebay, Amazon, have a kindle account etc practically do everything on line but still find switching phones stressy. It's not about not embracing technology it's about having to form new habits because a phone becomes a habit-and we all know how hard it is to form new/break old habits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now