Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you donate your organs/skin?

(133 Posts)
Happypenguin2014 Tue 02-Sep-14 17:26:07

Would you? What would you not donate?

Awful question but would you donate your child/husband/wifes body parts?

MrsKoala Tue 02-Sep-14 17:28:35

i would donate everything of mine and everything of my loved ones - providing none of us were still using them that is.

EatShitDerek Tue 02-Sep-14 17:28:41

My liver is probably a little worse for wear and my lungs are probably a little black but tale what you want but my eyes.

I want to keep my eyes. No idea why but couldn't imagine someone else walking around with them.

I would probably donate my son but only if he was old enough to agree to it. If not, hope this never happens, then I would donate organs I guess to help other children

Yes, anything and everything, it's no use to me once in dead and I'd willingly agree to donate anything from DH or the DCs.

It would be very hypocritical if we didn't as DH has already had an organ transplant. The DCs wouldn't be here if he hadn't.

specialsubject Tue 02-Sep-14 17:31:24

yes to both.

dead is dead. If anything can be recycled, great.

DownByTheRiverside Tue 02-Sep-14 17:33:00

Not an awful question at all, all of us have total donor cards, and have been open about our wishes to relatives.
If I was dead, if a member of my family died and part of them could enhance or save someone else, how could I feel anything other than a sense of something good coming out of a horrific loss?
I understand that someone else might feel differently, but so much good can come out of one discarded shell. the spirit/life isn't there.

TheBookofRuth Tue 02-Sep-14 17:34:40

Yes, anything and everything, I feel very strongly about this.

Idontseeanysontarans Tue 02-Sep-14 17:36:03

Yes, they can take whatever they want from all of us but DH is pretty convinced that as he has glaucoma they'd just bin his eyes..

DownByTheRiverside Tue 02-Sep-14 17:37:04

Would you accept a donated organ OP? For yourself or a child?

CaptChaos Tue 02-Sep-14 17:37:21

Anything and everything. I have known 2 people die due to lack of available organs. We all carry donor cards and we're all on the database. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

beccajoh Tue 02-Sep-14 17:38:37

Yes. All of us. If I can save someone's life then that's great.

Happypenguin2014 Tue 02-Sep-14 17:38:40

I think im more scared, because I dont know whats the other side. I dont want to go there with no eyes ect.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 02-Sep-14 17:40:09

Once I'm dead they can have anything they want if mine, including eyes. Never understood why people are happy to donate everything except eyes.

So you wouldn't accept a transplant then?

Mama1980 Tue 02-Sep-14 17:42:37

Yes to donating everything for myself and my family.
My sons and I are only alive due to massive medical intervention If I could help anyone after my death I would instantly. I feel very strongly about this.

Marlowmarlowmarlow Tue 02-Sep-14 17:43:09

Yes I would donate everything and DH and I discussed when the kids were little that we would also donate their organs/skin/eyes etc. That said, I still think it should be a positive choice rather than an opt out system.

I used to say everything apart from eyes until about ten years ago when I changed it to everything. Even though it made me a bit queasy I figured I wouldn't need my eyes after I was dead but if it could help someone to see it'd be pretty selfish not to. A few years after I made that change, DS ended up having an unplanned cornea transplant for which we were/are very grateful. One cornea was shared between him and another person, what an amazing use.

Redglitter Tue 02-Sep-14 17:43:53

Please don't take your eyes with you they're no use to you but having been the recipient of a corneal transplant in the past and someone who'll probably need another one in the future I can't tell you what difference it makes.

squoosh Tue 02-Sep-14 17:44:43

Of course.

I'm dead, they're no use to me but could give the chance of life to someone else. Amazing.

msrisotto Tue 02-Sep-14 17:45:07

If you would accept a transplant of any part of your body, then you should be prepared to donate it when you die.

As someone said above - dead is dead. There is no using your eyes when you're dead.

Yes, I would definitely support the wishes of my relatives when they die.

eltsihT Tue 02-Sep-14 17:45:14

I have everything down to donate. I also have a degenerative disease that means I may need a corneal transplant when I am older to restore my sight. (Please donate your corneas - it's just the covering of your eye they take not the ball)

rainbowinmyroom Tue 02-Sep-14 17:49:00

Yes. My husband is signed up. Don't know about my kids.

rainbowinmyroom Tue 02-Sep-14 17:51:24

You are not taking your eyes with you to spirit.

I wish to be cremated, so anything there is of me to use, anyone is more than welcome to it, organs, bone, tissue, etc.

Vitalstatistix Tue 02-Sep-14 17:51:37

yes. They can have anything they want, of any of us.

We won't need it. If someone else can benefit, why would I bury or burn bits that are bugger all use to me but can change someone's life?

My husband, otoh, believes the old lie that 'they' don't try as hard to save you if you are a donor hmm I know, I know, I've argued till I am blue in the face but he still thinks it. So he says no. But I am a registered donor and if I am the one to make the decision, it will be yes.

shabbs Tue 02-Sep-14 17:57:02

Yes would donate anything they wanted - and so would the rest of my family.

My DS3 carried a donor card from the age of about 4 - he wanted a big willy and was hoping that if his didnt grow he would be able to get a donor one grin He carried his card proudly every day and fully understood what it meant. When he was almost 8 years old in 1992 a lorry reversed over my lad and he was killed instantly.

When we arrived at the hospital I told the nurse to check in his jeans pocket for his donor card - she came back with it - all folded up with his signature on it. Because of the crush injuries he could only donate his corneas. We were told that because of his gift two children would now have sight.

I am way beyond proud of my lovely boy - could I please urge everyone to become an organ donor xx

Fav Tue 02-Sep-14 17:57:49

In theory I'd be happy to have anything of mine donated, but I do know what you mean about the eyes op!

In reality, I have heard of people being asked permission, but because they are dealing with the sudden death of a loved one, their reaction is often to keep that person as whole as possible and refuse - who knows how any of us would react in that situation.

If anyone does want their organs transplanting, they must have frank discussions with close family so they understand and will give permission. (Do des still ask family's permission, or has it changed?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now