Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

To want to cry... School uniform.

(123 Posts)
Altinkum Tue 02-Sep-14 16:40:14

Last year, ds1 lost/stolen....

8 school jumpers at a cost of £11.50 each.

3 pair of school trousers £18

3 packed lunch boxes plus bottles £30

8 complete P.E kits, plus bags £80

Nike trainers £25

Nike track suit £38

Sports bag £12

Addidas AstroTurf trainers (went missing in school for 7 weeks but got them back) however in the mean time we had to buy another pair as ds plays football in a league + academy.

Today is his first day back and his packed lunch box has gone missing.

Ds2 jumper has gone missing.

Im so frustrated that I'm in tears.

School just say they will have a look.... I've asked parents on F/B, what more can I do.

I've got their names sewn (not just tags, actual embroided into their stuff so it can't be cut/taken out) (sp) into everything, and yet first day back stuff goes missing.

Frustrated.

Patilla Tue 02-Sep-14 16:43:42

That seems like a particularly heavy set of losses.

What does your DS say about it? How old is he?

whatsagoodusername Tue 02-Sep-14 16:45:11

Is he losing them or are they being stolen?

PenisesAreNotPink Tue 02-Sep-14 16:46:26

How old?

If you're picking them up refuse to leave with them until they've brought stuff out

Hopefully Tue 02-Sep-14 16:46:38

shock How old is he/how big is the sxhool?

Lottiedoubtie Tue 02-Sep-14 16:46:40

Eh? Where does he go to school, criminal alley?

Would not replacing a jumper and making him be cold for a week focus his mind? That's outrageous and I would want to get to the bottom of it, his forgetfulness, or theft by other students.

I mean I could accept 1 or 2 jumpers and a lunchbox, but EIGHT jumpers and EIGHT PE kits. Beyond normal losses.

Vintagebeads Tue 02-Sep-14 16:50:05

That seems very high.
How old is your DS.
I dont understand parents keeping other kids stuff that has their name on.Not saying it does not happen as I know it does.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 02-Sep-14 16:50:44

Dies he go to school on the Bermuda triangle?? God grief someone's gotta be stealing that lot

MaudantWit Tue 02-Sep-14 16:51:13

DD's school skirt was stolen on her second day at primary school, so I do sympathise, but losing eight lots of anything seems particularly bad luck. How old is your son? How good is he at keeping track of where his possessions are?

Altinkum Tue 02-Sep-14 16:54:47

No one will say, ds puts them on his peg/tray/packed lunch box area... Goes missing.

Ds then gets told he has to put them in the class room... Goes missing

Ds then gets told to put them under the teachers desk. Goes missing.

I made a daily chart so ds can remember what he took into school, and gave one to the school so he could remember what he needs to bring home. (Teacher requested this)

Still goes missing.

However all has to be purchased again... Even tho school was aware, but didn't care as he needed to be in correct uniform, getting warnings, letters sent home saying not in uniform. Ds getting upset, as he's getting warnings etc...

I'm at my wits end. It's stupid I know as it's not a world issue, but I can't help being so frustrated to the point of uncontrollable tears.

spiderlight Tue 02-Sep-14 16:58:35

Is it just your DS that this is happening to or is it a school-wide problem?

Altinkum Tue 02-Sep-14 16:59:02

The 8 year old has come home without his packed much box, both he and the teacher looked.

The just turned 5 year old has come home without his jumper. Not at school at all.

Spent 40 mins looking for both.

All of the above was ds1 stuff, this is the first time ds2 has "misplaced" his.

ladymariner Tue 02-Sep-14 16:59:36

I honestly don't want to alarm you but are you sure they're not being taken maliciously, have you asked him if he is being bullied? I work in a school and that seems a huge amount of property to just 'lose' (even by my ds' standards!!!)

QueenofallIsee Tue 02-Sep-14 16:59:53

I do feel your pain - though the school my 3 younger are at is fine, the school my daughter went too until Yr 4 was bloody awful. I lost 3 school coats and then saw a family tootling down to the park past our house with their 3 daughters in one coat each!! Ashamed to say I sent the gobby ex- husband out (they were scary) and he soon had them back by showing them the name tags! Scutters.

my advice is black perm marker on the outside of the clothes - unsightly but they tended to stay with the right child then

allmycats Tue 02-Sep-14 17:00:58

Go into the school each night and check what he is coming out with - go into school in the morning, with permission of course, and check what the other kids are coming in with !!
My son had new shoes and the 2nd day in he came home with someone elses tatty old ones - next day went to school and another child was wearing my son's new shoes, complete with my sons name inside them in felt tip pen. The mother claimed they were her son's even with my sons name in them !!. My son got his own shoes back.

BreadForBrains Tue 02-Sep-14 17:01:19

How old is he?
I'd be livid regardless of age tbh, that's unacceptable and either he needs to take better care of his belongings or you/he/school need to discuss together.
Things do not 'go missing', they are 1) not put there full stop, 2) being taken by someone or 3) er, something else.
But they don't just vanish into thin air
air.

Altinkum Tue 02-Sep-14 17:01:29

It's a wide problem today, 4 parents were stood waiting for jumpers.

Ds1 was the only child to have this amount of things to be "misplaced" but all classes have had stuff go missing to a "acceptable" level.

Wigglykitten Tue 02-Sep-14 17:04:24

My ds was like this, but not quite as bad. When he was in year 4 I told him he'd have to pay to replace anything that went missing himself. If he didn't have the money in his bank account then I'd eBay his toys/belongings to cover the cost. We sat him down and had a very serious talk about it, and made him sign a contract. He's in year 8 now and hasn't lost a single thing since then.

mathanxiety Tue 02-Sep-14 17:04:55

How old are the DSs?

Is anyone else having these issues?

Why is he taking off his clothes so often? I am assuming PE?
Can some sort of exception be made for him so he wears PE kit on PE days and uniform on other days?
Where are they all leaving their clothes if clothes are changed during the day?

Presumably if someone else picks up his by accident there is going to be a spare trousers or jumper, etc.. Is there a 'lost and found'?

It seems ridiculous that some of the stuff is disappearing from right under the teacher's nose. If the teacher requested a copy of his daily list then she needs to pay more attention - the list has a purpose and sharing it has a purpose and she seems to have missed this important point.

There are no lockers?

WildThong Tue 02-Sep-14 17:06:50

That is totally ridiculous. I would be wanting the school to do something about that. (Although I don't know what?)
What kind of scummy parents dress their children in stolen clothes.

mathanxiety Tue 02-Sep-14 17:07:31

x-post there...

Altinkum Tue 02-Sep-14 17:07:33

Queen I do that. His name if not sewn on, are tagged with big black permanent marker.

You've just reminded me, his coat went missing too £25 and a sports bag. £12.

Ds is like a normal 8 year old, puts things away, but sometimes needs reminded/is forgetful (hence why we done the charts)I don't believe he is being bullied, he's a very popular little boy, and would be quite vocal if he were being bullied.

DaisyFlowerChain Tue 02-Sep-14 17:07:47

Children are forever being sent back in here when parents spot they have no jumper or cardigan on. They take them off and leave them lying around especially in infants. Same with coats at lunchtime on the playground.

DS did come home in the wrong top a few times but I always returned the following week as I only do laundry at the weekends so wouldn't likely notice until then.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 02-Sep-14 17:10:04

I think DS needs to learn to take responsibility for his stuff, which he will if you don't replace it. No fun in being the only one having to wear pe kit from the lost property box.
(Unless he's being bullied of course and he's being targeted as a soft touch to nick things from).
Think you need to discuss with the teacher. Does every child lose do many things?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now