Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Slugs!

(20 Posts)
mysaladdays Tue 02-Sep-14 10:36:31

Argh! Help! We don't have loads (that I know of), but we did have quite a few on the kitchen floor when I went downstairs in the middle if the night a few months ago. I thought I'd dealt with it by putting a copper strip at the door, making sure all food waste was taken care of at the end of each day and also some salt just inside the door (I know it's horrid for them, so hoping the copper strip would stop them). My difficulty is I have two small children who crawl on the floor etc and although I thoroughly clean it, I don't want the slugs coming in.
I'm not sure where they're coming in- we have a dishwasher fitted, someone mentioned it could be from there, but I'm not sure how to check. Have called a few different pest companies and the council, but no-one classes them as pests so can't help. They can sell me stuff to use but I'm not sure where to put it......sad

ErmagerdANerknerm Tue 02-Sep-14 10:45:10

Watching for tips, I stood on a bloody fat fully grown one 2 nights ago when I came down for a drink - filthy bastards. Happened quite a few times before too. They never have a trail around them either as if they've just dropped from the ceiling hmm

FrootLoopy Tue 02-Sep-14 10:49:11

Inside?! yeach!

I went out this morning and deslugged the garden - perfect weather for it.... After rain they come crawling out at night.

Mondaybaby Tue 02-Sep-14 10:52:03

I had a really fat one on the floor in the kitchen a few nights ago. I had to pick it up in kitchen roll and I put it in the bin. My worst fear is that I will stand on one without shoes or socks on!

mausmaus Tue 02-Sep-14 10:52:19

we sometimes have them in the kitchen.
they seem to come in through the floorboards under the units (were there are no tiles)
I put a handfull of salt into the soapy water for cleaning the floor which seems to help, and also airing the kitchen well.

mysaladdays Tue 02-Sep-14 11:26:27

Eek Ermagerd that's what I worry about happening! And why is it that they shuffle out at night?! Stumbling downstairs to get a drink for dc1 in the middle if the night and turning on the light I did not expect to see a load of bloody slugs on the floor angry.
Like the tip about salt in the mopping water mausmaus - does it stop them or pop them (eugh....!)

Any more tips welcome! Especially how I figure out how they're getting in. I can pull the dishwasher out, it's just in the corner so I guess I'll have to get right in there to take a look. Anyone know how big a gap they need?

mausmaus Tue 02-Sep-14 11:55:43

well, they can get through fly mesh, so they can get through tinytiny spaces...

Airbricks are the most likely entrance points. The slugs get into the underfloor spaces via these and come up through gaps in the floor.

They shouldn't be coming through your dishwasher's drainage pipe as it'll have a water trap.

Can you trace back where they're getting in from the trails they leave on the floor? They are quite visible, you could try following them under units/behind dishwasher and see where they lead.

mysaladdays Tue 02-Sep-14 22:21:01

Right. I've done the mopping with a bit of salt in as suggested up thread, I've made sure the doorways are covered with copper/salt combo. The fight is on!
Fly mesh?! Well, I guess I'm not going to seal up every hole then.....
Good tips Adam. Our floor covering is a bit tricky to see the trails clearly, you can see them if the light catches them just at the right angle. I will have a look near the dishwasher, though- I'll look to see if that rasa marries up with any air bricks outside......

alabasterangel Tue 02-Sep-14 23:09:14

We have this. Sometimes in the winter they inadvertently get brought in on logs for the fire.

I put down a piece of slippery/shiny card or normal card wrapped thin in cling film. Place it where trails have been seen. Place on top a generous sprinkle of slug pellets.

Make sure you get downstairs before DC and chuck it afterwards along with pellets. Two attempts out of 3 a slug would be there too....and would be duly evicted also......if still alive.....

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 02-Sep-14 23:12:38

I sprinkled ground coffee around my door. I found 2 tiny ones on the second night but nothing else, it's been a week. The house does smell like Starbucks, but it's a small pay off.

mysaladdays Wed 03-Sep-14 00:28:47

I like these tips! Coffee grounds- bit heard of that one! Good idea with the card and pellets.
I wonder why they're not classed as pests, though?

LadySybilLikesCake Wed 03-Sep-14 00:56:40

I used to put straw around my strawberries. That worked as they don't like the dry ends. It would look a bit daft putting straw on your kitchen floor though (probably as daft as sprinkling coffee).

They should be pests. They eat your strawberries and leave slime on the floor <boak>

mausmaus Wed 03-Sep-14 08:47:48

they used to put staw and sawdust on pub floors. maybe for slug reasons?

slugs love beer.

mabelbabel Wed 03-Sep-14 09:04:59

You have my sympathies - we had this in two previous houses it is horrible but not uncommon.

(1) Check under/behind the kickboards in the kitchen - they could be hanging out in there during the day and coming out at night.
(2) They don't like light. You could leave the kitchen light on and it will at least help to keep them hidden - not a long-term solution, but maybe for those times when you just wouldn't be able to face it.
(3) We got rid of ours last time by putting newpaper down with slug pellets on, around the area where we had seen slugs. And then getting up IN THE NIGHT and disposing of the whole thing, slugs and all. You could re-set the trap as long as you can get to it before any kids can in the morning. REPEAT until now more slugs are found.
(4) Make sure there isn't folliage overgrown around your airbricks. I think this is how they were tempted in last time. I also generously slug pelleted the area around the airbrick.

Like I said it's horrid, but not unusual, so please don't let it worry you too much (even though they are horrid creatures).

mabelbabel Wed 03-Sep-14 09:05:52

I guess they're not pests in the same way that spiders aren't ??

ThinkFirst Wed 03-Sep-14 09:12:15

I've trodden on the horrid things with bare feet in the night, not pleasant at all!

Check your sink for slime trails too, ours were coming up through the plug hole and overflow, DH saw one squeezing through, yuck.

mipmop Wed 03-Sep-14 09:40:48

They can squeeze through a gap the size of a pin head. As others have said, look behind your kitchen kickboards. Any gaps around pipework can be filled with expanding foam.

I tried protecting the wallflowers in my garden by mulching with coffee grounds. If anything, it attracted them.

They are the spawn of Satan.

eatyourveg Wed 03-Sep-14 11:24:10

Salt always does it for us, they come up through the bottom of the skirting board in the conservatory. Try following their slime trail and pouring salt into the hole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now