Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh bugger, just run out of money & haven't got DS1's school uniform yet :-(

(19 Posts)
confusedofengland Tue 02-Sep-14 08:38:41

Do you think it's really bad form to send him in last year's school shoes until next Wednesday when my maternity allowance should come through? He starts on Thursday, so it would be for less than a week.

It is a new school & I can't get their uniform until he is there because they only sell it at the school office, but I do have trousers in the right size & plain polo shirts & jumpers in the right colour from end of last year - they will probably fit for now & again I'll get more on Wednesday.

BucktoothedGirlinLuxembourg Tue 02-Sep-14 08:39:45

It'll be fine. It doesn't sound like you have much choice.

thats sounds absolutly fine, its not like he could have got the full uniform for the first day anyway.

confusedofengland Tue 02-Sep-14 08:49:25

Phew, I'm glad there's a couple of you saying yes!

Just to clarify, it's not obligatory to have the uniform with the school logo on, they say in the handbook that plain is fine, so the shoes were my biggest concern.

I have also just realised that DS3 hasn't used his Bumbo for about a month, so I am selling that to try & raise some funds & perhaps will have a look at what else he has outgrown - I may be able to scrape enough together if I'm lucky smile

Thisisthelasttime Tue 02-Sep-14 08:49:33

If my kids uniforms fitted and were in reasonable condition they always went back in them anyway.

Teeb Tue 02-Sep-14 08:50:10

I've never known a school have a system where it's impossible to buy the uniform until school has begun. Surely they opened the school office at the end of the last term/over the summer holidays to be able to order uniform?

If he's primary it's fine, if it's secondary I'd try to avoid it.

confusedofengland Tue 02-Sep-14 08:55:28

He's primary school, just starting Year 1 in this school but was in Reception in a different school as we have recently moved house. We weren't here last term & the school office has not been open at all over the holidays (I walk past the school to get to the village so I have seen that grin). Next year I will obviously be able to buy the next size up the previous term, as he will already be there.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Tue 02-Sep-14 08:56:43

Nobody needs all new at the start of term if the old stuff still fits. At DS1's old school I didn't buy the logo items at all because they were all made from polyester, just bought the cotton stuff from M&S or wherever.

StripyBanana Tue 02-Sep-14 08:59:05

Do people really buy school shoes just because its the beginning of Sept?

We check feet every few months and replace when necessary but wouldn't just because!

Similar with school clothing!

foslady Tue 02-Sep-14 09:00:55

If the shoes still fit just give them a good polish and keep on using them (brush polish on brush polish off and good buff with some tissues, you'll never know they're not new, trust me!)

HibiscusIsland Tue 02-Sep-14 09:01:03

If the shoes still fit then it's absolutely fine. I do the same. If they are too small for him then not ideal

2cats2many Tue 02-Sep-14 09:03:41

My DD is wearing last year's shoes. Why buy new ones if the old ones still fit?

SuperScrimper Tue 02-Sep-14 09:05:06

I've sent DS to school today with absolutely nothing new. Everything still fits, well the polo shirts are looking a bit small, but I don't have the money right now to buy everything new.

confusedofengland Tue 02-Sep-14 09:05:40

Stripy I have his feet measured every term or so anyway, and I'm pretty sure his feet will have grown by now as he got these in the October half-term last year. He has been wearing bigger trainers already (that DSIL got for her DS but they didn't fit so she passed them on smile)

With DS2, as he is at preschool & they don't have to have a particular type of shoe, I will get his feet measured at the same time but then hunt around for sales or have a look online.

Pidgy Tue 02-Sep-14 09:06:33

If they still fit, lick of shoe polish and they'll be fine!
As long as things fitted, were clean/no holes we were always sent in the same things each year from what I remember. In fact, by year 11 no one bothered to buy new pe kit at our school. The blood supply to my legs was almost cut off by my ridiculously tight (and horrible) knicker shorts.

I wouldn't worry for a couple of days. My ds has his sweatshirts from last term, they're the logo'd ones and still fit perfectly. No point replacing something if it still fits? He's also using his last terms trainers for pe, again they still fit and there's nothing wrong with them so waste of money buying more for the sake of it.

The shoes will look fine with some shoe polish and maybe some furniture polish for extra shine smile

Thenapoleonofcrime Tue 02-Sep-14 09:18:07

pidgy knicker shorts, forgot about those monstrosities, at our school we didn't wear skirts over them, just the knickers, so embarrassing.

Mine are going in their previous school shoes, they all fit ok, not buying new unless needed. I also agree with the person who said don't get the logoed stuff unless you need it- better get plain cotton jumpers than horrible polynylon sweaty sweatshirts if you don't have to (M and S do a lovely plain cotton sweater pretty cheap).

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 02-Sep-14 09:18:44

Send him in the old ones and get them checked when you have some money. Don't feel obliged to get Clark's my DD had a lovely pair of school shoes from M&S.

I too don't buy new shoes until the old ones are not fitting or worn out. Dd went back today in last years shoes (polished) last years skirts as she got taller and thinner and new polos and jumper as thats all she needed.
In about 3 or 4 weeks we'll start looking for shoes, maybe.
I never understood the reasoning of buying all new uniforms and shoes when the old ones are still in good condition and fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now