Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please prescribe my contraception choice. Seriously, because I can't.

(37 Posts)
Didyouevah Mon 01-Sep-14 22:48:04

Right. I'm 36. 2 DCs. New husband.

Can't take pill due to migraines.

Mirena was a bloody nightmare

Dh never had children so doesn't want snip.

I'm good weight, don't smoke. Currently using condoms.

Long term option please?

Ruralninja Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:39

check out Nuvaring - local 'delivery' of hormone, low doses, forget about it for three weeks. I loved it.

7Days Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:50

lurking for answers

MsInterpret Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:55

I used to get aura migraines on the combined pill but they stopped when I switched to a progesterone-only one, have you tried that?

I like the nuvaring. Hormonal but low dose do shouldn't give you headaches. Put it in & forget about it for a month, plus leaves your system very quickly with little side effects (in my experience anyway).

Depo injection did not agree with me and I forget to take pills shock

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 01-Sep-14 22:52:26

Copper IUD. Can choose ones which last 3,5 or 10 years. No hormones.

Slightly heavier, more painful periods for the first few months and then it's fine.

I got mine when I was 20 and would honestly never have any other type now.

What type of migraines do you have, if you know? Have you been offered the progesterone only pill? I have aural migraines and that is what I was offered, cerezette specifically, as I couldn't have the mini pill due to the oestrogen in it and it's effects on migraines. Long term, I was given the contraceptive implant which has the same make up as the progesterone only pill. Lasts for three years, bit painful going in and for a few days after with bruising but I'm on my third one now and have had no problems with it apart from my first one which wasn't a problem with the implant in terms of bodily reaction to it but due to it not sitting right in it's insertion point so it had to be taken out and reinserted but I've never had an issue since

Mrsgrumble Tue 02-Sep-14 01:08:26

I'm a similar age to you after after this (second) baby I am going for the copper coil (no hormones)

SlL swears by it

MyGoodnessMyGuinness Tue 02-Sep-14 03:47:57

Lurking!

differentnameforthis Tue 02-Sep-14 04:38:31

Nuvaring doesn't sound like good choice, the second most common side effect is migraines!

Jenny70 Tue 02-Sep-14 05:23:16

Implanon - implant in the arm? Lower dose, long lasting etc?

Do you think you would like children with your DH? If not, tubal ligation might be an option, but obviously not one if you're considering more children.

ScummyWithGin Tue 02-Sep-14 06:09:02

No, no, no to Nuvaring! I had hideous side effects including a rash on my legs and shortness of breath. I have also been sweatier ever since stopping it 18 months ago. My DH, um, also had a reaction! These seem to be very rare side effects but it wasn't fun and I wouldn't recommend it!
There is also some concern that these 3rd and 4th generation contraceptives have an increased risk of blood clots compared to older combined pills due to the way the hormones reach the blood stream (Nuvaring enters it directly as it doesn't go through your digestive system) and the type of progesterone used. I lasted 2 weeks and will never use hormonal contraception again, having happily used Microgynon 30 for years previously.

I'm currently pregnant and once the baby is born will probably stick to condoms for the foreseeable future, but a couple of friends have a copper coil and have raved about it so that is probably my long term choice.

Long but quite interesting article about Nuvaring here:www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/nuvaring-blood-clots_n_4461429.html

Knottyknitter Tue 02-Sep-14 06:14:08

If you can't have combined pill for migraine then nuevaring and patches are out too I'm afraid. What about minipill to start with then think about nexplanon once you know you're ok with the progesterone.

Make a Gp or cash clinic appointment and they'll talk you through it

isittheweekendyet Tue 02-Sep-14 06:52:01

Copper coil. Total no fuss option. Hasn't made my periods any heavier and getting put in is no more undignified than having a smear.

AuntieStella Tue 02-Sep-14 07:03:19

The only remaining options I can think of are: the diaphragm, the copper coil and natural family planning (I'm assuming female sterilisation is out for same reason as male).

The lowest fuss of those is the coil.

VeryBadThings Tue 02-Sep-14 07:03:36

Copper coil had been a nightmare for me. Started out fine but over the first year my periods got heavier and longer. To the point that I was bleeding for 21 days with a break of only 7 to 10 days between. I'm getting it out in 2 weeks and can't wait to be rid if it. I've been taking Cerazette for several months to counteract the extreme bleeding while waiting for the appointment for its removal so will be sticking with that for the for the foreseeable.

MrsPnut Tue 02-Sep-14 07:11:23

I've had the implant for the last 3 years to help reduce the frequency of my hormonal migraines and also deal with my very heavy painful periods.

I did have almost continuous very light bleeding for the first 6 weeks but since then I've had no periods or they have been very light and my migraines have reduced to occasional instead of 3-4 a week. I'm not even using it for contraceptive either because my OH has had a vasectomy.

JaiOm Tue 02-Sep-14 07:19:54

Implant

No periods no fuss and not affected by illness or medications

Awesome product

PlacidApricots Tue 02-Sep-14 07:30:46

Implant is horrible for me, I am having it out at the end of the month after only having had it in for 10 months.

TeaAndALemonTart Tue 02-Sep-14 07:33:36

Is there nothing that everyone gets on with?

This is the thing, what works for one might not work for another.

I avoid all hormonal contraception because of the effect it has on me. So it's copper coil, condoms or diaphragm for me.

All hormonal contraception has migraine as a possible side effect, it doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get them.

Abstinence! wink

Sidge Tue 02-Sep-14 07:42:04

If you have migraines then you are unlikely to be prescribed a patch, ring or combined oral pill -aural migraines are contraindicated with oestrogens usually.

That leaves progesterone only methods such as the depo-provera injection, progesterone only pill (mini pill), implant or Mirena IUS.

Non hormonal methods include the IUD (copper coil), condoms, diaphragm or cap or natural family planning.

Make an appointment at a CASH clinic to discuss your options. Sometimes with contraception it can be a case of trying many things until you hit on one that suits you. There is no one method that will suit all women!

tortoisesarefab Tue 02-Sep-14 07:49:30

I second the copper coil, my periods have gone slightly longer on it but not heavier. The no hormone aspect is the best part about it as I can't tolerate hormonal contraception either

Are people still on te depo after NICE(I think) recommended every woman starting to use it needed a bone scan before hand and follow up scans while still on it?

I lived the depo when I was on it, but it took three years for my period to come back. I would never recommend it to anyone now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now