Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help! Tax disc crisis!!

(11 Posts)
Ehhn Mon 01-Sep-14 21:14:09

Tax disc on OH car ran out today. But OH didn't get the v5c replacement from last year as he was moving house between renewal. He then forgot all about it until today. We have an MoT certificate but nothing else. He didn't take photocopies of his v5c before he sent it.

How can we get a tax disc ASAP??? What to do?! We can't afford a £1000 fine...

HouseofEliot Mon 01-Sep-14 21:15:42

I think you can fill in a form at the post office. You will need insurance certificate as well I would think.

Ehhn Mon 01-Sep-14 21:26:49

Thanks house. I may just take every single piece of paper in our file and plead clemency/ignorance at the PO!

AgaB2013 Mon 01-Sep-14 21:28:17

Wouldn't it be faster to apply online and even though you still will wait for the disc to arrive in post you are covered??

HouseofEliot Mon 01-Sep-14 21:30:26

You need the reference off the v5 or the reminder to do it online.

RustyDalek Mon 01-Sep-14 21:31:17

If you have the reminder letter and your MOT and insurance are up to date, you can apply online with the number on the letter- just make sure you get the proper .gov site, not a parasite site that will charge you extra.

PavlovtheCat Mon 01-Sep-14 21:33:03

you have 14 days to display the tax disc as long as it's bought and paid for on the day/asap after iirc. I have, on occasion gone 'shit, tax ran out yesterday!!! as I forgot the reminder hidden somewhere 'safe'.

We do ours online. you do need the registration certificate number on the V5 form I think though, or the number of the renewal form sent, do you have that?

They then automatically can see that there is an MOT and valid insurance on the car.

Plomino Mon 01-Sep-14 21:33:56

You can do one of two things - ring the DVLA and explain , but in all honesty , they won't worry about it anyway. As long as it's taxed inside two weeks or so , and taxed from the beginning of the month so there isn't a gap , you won't get a fine . If you ring them and ask their advice , they might send you out another reminder depending on how far down the v5 renewal process they are.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 01-Sep-14 21:34:37

You need either the V5C or the reminder. You will need to go to your nearest DVLA office if not - sorry, been there myself.

Ehhn Mon 01-Sep-14 21:51:35

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated - mind somewhat at rest. Trip to dvla tomorrow and pst office if that fails!

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Mon 01-Sep-14 21:57:13

You might be able to apply online with just the car's registration number?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now