Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DS seems unable to make the L sound - today in a cafe he suddenly decided he could say Clock

(26 Posts)
listsandbudgets Mon 01-Sep-14 20:53:26

He kept pointing at the clock and shouting it over and over again very loudly

No L sound - oh dear. I was getting gruesome looks from the elderly couple on the next table as he happily shouted

"ook cock" over and over again

HermioneWeasley Mon 01-Sep-14 20:54:11

Ha! My DS did the exact same thing when he was younger.

Lariflete Mon 01-Sep-14 21:00:27

Lol.
For a while DD could, but wouldn't say the 't' at the end of words, replacing it with ck. A favourite phrase was when taking her shoes off was to shout "Fuck off!!" And I wish I was making that up - especially when she shouted it loudly and repeatedly at a church playgroup blush

somewherewest Mon 01-Sep-14 21:00:50

When DS was very little his attempt to say "in the car" sounded just like...erm how shall I put this?..a very racist word beginning in N. That was embarrassing.

5madthings Mon 01-Sep-14 21:03:17

Ha ha my dd is 3 and also can't say l and r in some words, she stood at the top of the climbing frame shouting at me about her crocs... Without the r...

And leg is yeg which ok but lid is yid..

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 01-Sep-14 21:15:43

grin

I was shopping for a big basket once with DS2 when he was about 2, problem was his 'basket' sounded a lot like 'bastard'....and he was calling for said basket in the shop like it was a lost dog grin

Moogdroog Mon 01-Sep-14 21:26:17

DS for some time insisted that 'chocolate' was 'Cock-lick'.
DD insists that 'kitty' is 'titty'

Entertaining isn't it? blush

Changebagsandgladrags Mon 01-Sep-14 21:27:32

Took DS to a cafe at the weekend (he's 4)

As we left he sang 'oooo sexy lady' to the waitress and Gangnam styled it out the door.

2kidsintow Mon 01-Sep-14 21:28:43

My neice couldn't say her 'L's and for some reason substituted the letter F instead. Fine until she was animatedly shouting 'Look, look' in public.

Rhubarbgarden Mon 01-Sep-14 21:33:30

'Cock' was ds's first and only word for six months. He used it for chicken, so kind of correctly. It was odd, though, as both dh and I say 'chicken' so we have no idea where he got it from or why it made such an impression on him.

It's astonishing how many pictures of chickens you come across in everyday life, when you have a loose canon toddler ready to shout his pet word at the slightest excuse.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 01-Sep-14 21:37:57

DS did this. He is the loudest child in the whole world. Every time we went round an aisle in the supermarket and he saw the clock he would bellow COCK repeatedly. It went on for months.

LongTailedTit Mon 01-Sep-14 22:03:00

3yo DS pronounces 'biscuit' as Big Shit. That's always fun.

tarkawithaparka Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:24

My dd2 2.1 shouted out 'want car' (a porcelain mini sat on our local library's counter top) unfortunately for me this sounded just like 'Wanker'. blush Didn't help she was also helpfully pointing at the little car which was sat in front of the librarian.

tarkawithaparka Mon 01-Sep-14 22:09:58

Ah also forgot to add she also points at the church in the village and says 'big cock in there'. Thanks dd2. Thanks a lot.

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Mon 01-Sep-14 22:18:35

DS2 pronounced "tr" as "f". Aged about 2 he got really excited in the library when we were looking at a book about trucks. It was just before a toddler session so there were loads of parents with young children there, all staring in disgust and horror as DS2 shouted "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!"

negrilbaby Mon 01-Sep-14 22:32:00

DS also pronounced clock as cock. He also called watches were c(l)ocks.
Cue much embarrassment as he shouted loudly about playing with Daddy's cock!! blush

girliefriend Mon 01-Sep-14 22:38:00

My friends little boy substituted 'bugger' for bicycle, was very funny hearing him shout bugger bugger bugger every time a bike went by grin

Pandora452 Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:39

Changebags that make me chuckle grin

gamescompendium Mon 01-Sep-14 22:57:45

DD1 spent ages shouting at me in a restaurant 'want pish'. Mum and I had no idea what she was trying to say and she got so annoyed while entire restaurant stared at us and Mum said 'does she need the toilet?' and I came all over loud and offended and said 'we do not use that word in our house' yeah right, just maybe not in that context because that would be confusing. Eventually we realised the poor girl wanted to be pushed closer to the table. Sigh.

Actually speaking of shit, I once spilt some water on the table when she was tiny, she stood up, pointed, and said 'oh shit'. Sadly that was not a funny mispronounciation.

CosmicDespot Tue 02-Sep-14 01:22:17

My DD used to call apricot 'achy cock'. It's still her favourite yoghurt.

"What flavour do you want DD?"

"Achy cock, mummy."

SunsineAndRainbows Tue 02-Sep-14 01:22:39

My DD used to have the same problem sounding L...

I remember taking her to PILs house after they had re-done the kitchen and the first thing she noticed was the new clock and very loudly said "grandad nice cock" blush

I was mortified.

PunkrockerGirl Tue 02-Sep-14 06:26:51

grin

TheCunkOfPhilomena Tue 02-Sep-14 07:47:24

Yup, 'clock' was DS' first word and he couldn't pronounce the 'l' either. It's great when they point at men's wristwatches (about the same height as their crotch) and shout it.

listsandbudgets Tue 02-Sep-14 18:22:32

Oh thanks thecunk there's something to look forward to grin

somewherewest Tue 02-Sep-14 19:08:56

A thread like this a few years back had a great story about an MNer taking her young daughter to the shop. Her DH had requested a bottle of coke, which prompted the daughter to run around the shop gleefully shouting "Daddy wants cock! Daddy wants cock!" at the top of her voice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now